Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

View Poll Results: Have you had a problem with your Schwintek Slide where a visit to a Dealer was needed
YES 168 58.95%
NO 117 41.05%
Voters: 285. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-27-2014, 07:22 AM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom-NC View Post
Number one right off the bat go an buy your WBGO brave and enjoy it to the fullest.

Number two it seems we have a bunch of pessimists that have Swintek slides. My big slide has a lot of weight on it and goes in an out without no problems other than what I stated in previous post but it seems everyone wants to say how bad it is. Well I say use it and operate it the way the manual says to operate it. I also suggest if you have a real big problem take the RV to coach manufacturer or have swintek rep come to you. All the problems one has with an RV is fixable.

Thor Palazzo had a problem where the room was not square thereby getting hung up. However Thor repaired it and last I heard was OK.

What I'm trying to say is have a positive attitude and stop knocking WBGO, Swintek, Thor, Norcold or any other manufacturer and try taking your stick built house and put it on six wheels and go down some of these roads you go down with your RV.

I have a 2013 Ellispe GD and have had major problems with both of my large slides. Been in the shop a total of six months in the past 2 years. Both slides have been repaired several times including total replacement of both units with the newest versions. I only put out the slides after I level while running the engine to insure proper voltage. We are driving the coach to Forest City tomorrow to again have the front kitchen slide replaced, the nylon guide wheel has broken. The rear slide make grinding noises going in or out. That is in addition to the load popping noise behind the drivers seat that drives me crazy.
So consider yourself lucky, I am near the end of rope with these slides and the time I am having to devote to fixing this defect. Winnabago acts like this is an isolated issue and my dealer, Camping World, does more damage trying to effect repairs then they fix. So now I have to drive 2800 miles round trip on my buck to hopefully fix my coach.
Blaise Recca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2014, 09:14 AM   #42
Winnebago Master

I am thankful I have a slide out and friends like you all !
Jesse
Jbmsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2014, 09:27 AM   #43
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaise Recca View Post
I have a 2013 Ellispe GD and have had major problems with both of my large slides. Been in the shop a total of six months in the past 2 years. Both slides have been repaired several times including total replacement of both units with the newest versions. I only put out the slides after I level while running the engine to insure proper voltage. We are driving the coach to Forest City tomorrow to again have the front kitchen slide replaced, the nylon guide wheel has broken. The rear slide make grinding noises going in or out. That is in addition to the load popping noise behind the drivers seat that drives me crazy.
So consider yourself lucky, I am near the end of rope with these slides and the time I am having to devote to fixing this defect. Winnabago acts like this is an isolated issue and my dealer, Camping World, does more damage trying to effect repairs then they fix. So now I have to drive 2800 miles round trip on my buck to hopefully fix my coach.
Have you been back to the factory already for repairs, or will this trip be the first?
streamcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2014, 05:39 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by streamcamper View Post
Have you been back to the factory already for repairs, or will this trip be the first?
1st trip to the factory. Hopefully this will be the trick.
Blaise Recca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 08:09 AM   #45
Winnebago Camper

I heard from a dealer that winnebago is not going to use the Schwintek mechanism any more and will switch to PowerGear. Supposedly the switch will be fairly soon- and way way overdue.
CBTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 11:02 AM   #46
Winnebago Owner

As of yet we have had no problems with any of the slides. (See sig)
I do lubricate all the seals. DuPont "303" on the seals and spray silicone
On the slide walls as DW is drawing them in. We level before putting the sleds out.
Have engine running and plugged in while putting the slides in and out. This was
The dealer recommendation! Has worked well so far. Had some plastic wound up
on the dresser slide when we first bought it, but no,problems since. We listen to the slides while operating. If they start to make noise I lubricate. Not sure if it is the answer but is working so,far.
Old 12-08-2014, 11:08 AM   #47
Winnebago Owner

Time will tell, where Lippert owns Powergear, it may just be a new hybrid system. Seeing is believing.
XBoater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 04:17 PM   #48
Winnebago Camper

Well I hope so. We ordered a Brave 27B and the dealer said delivery should be in the latter half of Feb. I don't want any slide problems so I hope we get the good stuff...
The Randall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 01:09 PM   #49
Winnebago Camper

Just purchased an Itasca 42E. The drivers slide is making a rubber?? noise just over my head while driving, very irritating.

the slide at the front end has marked the floor tile with a permanent aluminum stain, the bottom end of the rest easy is tight to the floor.

Its obvious the slide is moving while travelling enough to cause these two problems.

If you note the cost of this unit...I was not ready for this....

If anybody has luck with fixing these issues please reply...

2015 Itasca Meridian 42E
LeonB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 06:06 PM   #50
Winnebago Owner

Leon,
I just received word from my dealer that Winnebago is supplying 2 slide lock bars to secure the kitchen slide and keep it from loosening while underway. Contact your dealer, this should help in the noise you are hearing.
XBoater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 09:11 PM   #51
Winnebago Watcher

2014 itasca 37f

we've had numerous problems with our full wall slide only.
After the first few trips with no issues, I noticed the front binding then jerking into position. I could see lots of wear on the gear racks. took it to dealer where they replaced the assy. next trip out the unit did almost exactly the same thing. the dealer contacted WBGO and they had to take a bunch of measurements and determined that the rollers were not installed and shimmed properly. after installing the new rollers, shims, another new assy and having to repaint because the original stripes were painted with the slide cocked, the unit has been working well for a total of 2 trips (about 5 total cycles) EXCEPT... now the slide creeps when driving. so I assume that there is some merit to the statement that creeping is "normal" for a properly installed slide as it never crept before. I am interested to see about the motor stall setting but for now I am in the middle of a 2 week trip. Wish me luck!!!
john
johnd1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 06:26 AM   #52
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnd1985 View Post
we've had numerous problems with our full wall slide only.
After the first few trips with no issues, I noticed the front binding then jerking into position. I could see lots of wear on the gear racks. took it to dealer where they replaced the assy. next trip out the unit did almost exactly the same thing. the dealer contacted WBGO and they had to take a bunch of measurements and determined that the rollers were not installed and shimmed properly. after installing the new rollers, shims, another new assy and having to repaint because the original stripes were painted with the slide cocked, the unit has been working well for a total of 2 trips (about 5 total cycles) EXCEPT... now the slide creeps when driving. so I assume that there is some merit to the statement that creeping is "normal" for a properly installed slide as it never crept before. I am interested to see about the motor stall setting but for now I am in the middle of a 2 week trip. Wish me luck!!!
john
Call WGO and tell them it is creeping and have them send you two slide locks. I have been using them for the past 3 months and the locks have stopped the slide creep.
MutinyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 06:35 AM   #53
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeonB View Post
Just purchased an Itasca 42E. The drivers slide is making a rubber?? noise just over my head while driving, very irritating.

the slide at the front end has marked the floor tile with a permanent aluminum stain, the bottom end of the rest easy is tight to the floor.

Its obvious the slide is moving while travelling enough to cause these two problems.

If you note the cost of this unit...I was not ready for this....

If anybody has luck with fixing these issues please reply...
My driver slide has done the same thing. Been back to the dealer 3 times now, and it still does it. Slide locks don't help.

I'd like to adjust the stall limit lower to see if that helps. Time to dig out the manual and see if Winnie gave me instructions for that.
Old 03-30-2015, 08:29 AM   #54
Winnebago Camper

Schwintek problems

Our 34B required two fixes by CampingWrld and two fixes by WBGO before it finally worked correctly. The dealers do not have enough experience with this problem to do a good job. We were not happy with two 800 mile round trips to WBGO but they finally fixed it right. Since then we have about 10,000 miles on it with no further problems.

There is a great UTUBE video showing how to lube the Schwintek gibs that helps the noise problem while driving.
I've heard that WBGO wised up and no longer uses the Schwintek on the large slides in the new models.

We recently traded our 34B for a Tiffin. If the WBGO 40 foot unit had a decent layout we would have stuck with them, ( assuming that the large slide was not Schwintek) but the Tiffin has a better layout for our needs. The good news for us is that the large slide uses the Powergear mechanism.

We never had creeping of the slide, even before the two factory fixes, and not since.

Good luck.
CBTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 05:50 PM   #55
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by s1njin View Post
My driver slide has done the same thing. Been back to the dealer 3 times now, and it still does it. Slide locks don't help.

I'd like to adjust the stall limit lower to see if that helps. Time to dig out the manual and see if Winnie gave me instructions for that.
If anybody has a link on how to do this, that'd be great.
Old 03-30-2015, 07:04 PM   #56
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by s1njin View Post
If anybody has a link on how to do this, that'd be great.
So you install two slide locks and the slide still moves out? Not sure how that can happen....
MutinyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 06:03 AM   #57
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by MutinyGuy View Post
So you install two slide locks and the slide still moves out? Not sure how that can happen....
No, I put the slide locks in and I still get that rubber rubbing squeaking sound while going down the road. Mine has never creeped out on me.
Old 03-31-2015, 10:44 AM   #58
Winnebago Camper

I just received this email from Winnebago
Thank you for your inquiry and interest in our Adventurer/Suncruiser 37F product. The slide room mechanisms for this product have changed over to Power Gear.
gpshay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 02:17 PM   #59
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpshay View Post
I just received this email from Winnebago
Thank you for your inquiry and interest in our Adventurer/Suncruiser 37F product. The slide room mechanisms for this product have changed over to Power Gear.
That's great news! Winnebago has a great product. I may have to re-think my future purchase now that they addressed my main concern. I wonder if this is for 2016 and newer??
Old 04-01-2015, 04:47 PM   #60
Winnebago Owner

This is discouraging. My guide wheel on large slide broke apart and jammed the top behind driver. Had to work it in with the buttons while pulling the slide like a mule from inside. Had a trip planned this weekend but now it is sitting at dealer waiting for complete new track and motor assembly to come from Indiana that will not be here until next Monday or Tuesday. I have used this coach twice so far and am not very happy with this situation.

Tags
slide