Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

View Poll Results: Have you had a problem with your Schwintek Slide where a visit to a Dealer was needed
YES 168 58.95%
NO 117 41.05%
Voters: 285. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-01-2016, 05:29 PM   #141
Winnebago Owner

Schwintek Slides

Well, I am down for the fourth time in 1 1/2 years. Same slide, same s$#@$@$. Last time it was in the shop, they installed what they told me was the 3rd generation system. My slide has been used 8 cycles since the last repair. What a joke. I talked with WBI and they told me they would perform the repairs with the new and improved system once the techs in the field are trained and parts are available. I guess I will have to wait and see.
Dfreiberger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 06:18 PM   #142
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dfreiberger View Post
Well, I am down for the fourth time in 1 1/2 years. Same slide, same s$#@$@$. Last time it was in the shop, they installed what they told me was the 3rd generation system. My slide has been used 8 cycles since the last repair. What a joke. I talked with WBI and they told me they would perform the repairs with the new and improved system once the techs in the field are trained and parts are available. I guess I will have to wait and see.
Bummer...
I have read the only locations installing the new and improved Power Gear system replacing the Schwintek is in Forest City or Junction City, OR.

Long drive for you...
MutinyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 06:57 PM   #143
Winnie-Wise

I have an appointment at Winnebago the week before GNR and they told me all units comng thru services right now they are doing a complete check of the slide motors at that time. Mine was replaced in February this year and so far so good. But they told me they will inspect all components when I get there.
majfrizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 06:58 PM   #144

Quote:
What happened this time? Is any of this under warranty?
Atom Ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 03:43 AM   #145
Winnebago Watcher

Lippet slide

Mine was last repaired by James at Camping World in Colfax, NC. Excellent job! That was October 2015. I have not had a single problem. Probably used slide 10-12 times.
dfelter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 08:18 AM   #146
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atom Ant View Post
What happened this time? Is any of this under warranty?
Closing the slide starts fine until about the final 6-8 inches. Then the aft end of the slide starts popping and jumping. Did a visual of the rails and the upper rail is all chewed up and the gear appears to be out of alignment with the rail. The top of the rail is chewed up. Only the top rail. The lower appears to be fine. This problem started while I was in warranty and now into my extended warranty. I am tired of paying deductibles for continious repairs.
Dfreiberger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 09:47 AM   #147

Quote:
Closing the slide starts fine until about the final 6-8 inches. Then the aft end of the slide starts popping and jumping. Did a visual of the rails and the upper rail is all chewed up and the gear appears to be out of alignment with the rail. The top of the rail is chewed up. Only the top rail. The lower appears to be fine. This problem started while I was in warranty and now into my extended warranty. I am tired of paying deductibles for continious repairs.
Ah thanks for the explanation. I hear you on the deductable - seems it should be waved for a recurring problem. I've got a similar symptom on my bedroom slide and now you got me wanting to go look- but its in the shop. Can the rail just be replaced if you catch it fast enough?
Old 06-04-2016, 02:17 AM   #148
Winnebago Owner

My hydraulics HWH system has been working fine since 2002 - why did they switch to electric motors/gears? Very much makes me question a Bego when its time to upgrade the rig.
Old 06-04-2016, 06:16 AM   #149
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhanan View Post
My hydraulics HWH system has been working fine since 2002 - why did they switch to electric motors/gears? Very much makes me question a Bego when its time to upgrade the rig.

One reason is that the Schwintek system takes up less space and allows for more cargo storage.
Jesse
Jbmsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016, 02:46 PM   #150
Winnie-Wise

Second reason is Schwintek slide mechanism is lighter than HWH system even though I think HWH system was better.

I had my Schwintek slide fixed in Forest City and seems to be just fine.

Tom-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 06:28 PM   #151
Winnebago Owner

H. Had a appointment with my dealer today. Got the slide to work. Re synchronized. Guess they have th magic wand. Better news Winnebago/ Lippert/ schwintec, is going to,upgrade it to the power gear system. Parts on order.
Will get back with more details on my cost! Anyway sounds positive.
Old 06-09-2016, 08:42 AM   #152

Great news! (i hope)
Old 06-14-2016, 09:01 AM   #153
Winnebago Master

I have power gear on my Storm. Does anyone know what the new and improved Power Gear system looks like?
Old 06-15-2016, 09:27 AM   #154
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by tim myers View Post
I have power gear on my Storm. Does anyone know what the new and improved Power Gear system looks like?
I have the power gear on my full wall slide, so far works great. Has skinnier looking rack gears that are only attached to the ends of the slide so the racks can be pushed against the pinion drive.

Heres a pic:

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0071.jpg
Views:	237
Size:	73.5 KB
ID:	130314
Old 06-19-2016, 09:10 AM   #155
Winnebago Watcher

Currently at LazyDays RV, in Tampa, Florida. Had to replace the harness to my Swintek slide, as it came loose and shorted out ($300+ w/labor... not covered by extended warrantee). Technician warned it's just a matter of time, the system will require replacement, due to the quality of the Swintek system. Just an inferior product!

2013 Itasca Ellipse GD 42'
2013 Ford Flex Limited
Sherco1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2016, 09:59 AM   #156

any reason why the warrantee didn't cover it?
Old 06-19-2016, 12:57 PM   #157
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by streamcamper View Post
I don't understand why the distance is really so critical (within reason). The gear is housed within the bearing block which floats on the gibbs - which are mounted to the column. This allows the bearing block to move fore and aft, allowing the gear to maintain proper contact with the side rail, which compensates for any distances greater that the 2.5" specification (within reason). The v-roller and the shoe hold the gear in place against the side rail. As long as the gear is free to move fore and aft with the slide, it should always maintain contact with the side rail. If however the gear is not free to move, perhaps due to the bearing block binding as a result of dirt, or lack of lubrication, then perhaps this is what causes the problems. Just my thoughts... Regards...
Stream camper, I agree with your analysis of the operation of the slide system. The previous description by I maniac isn't quite correct.
I've had two 2013 coaches and now a 2015 with Schwintec slides and have had no problems with any of them.
My opinion is that the mechanical problems come from two main situations:
1. Some slides are made so the ends are not true and square and the variation is beyond drive systems self adjusting limits.
2. The slides are operated while the coach is in an excessive twist.
My second coach was very bad about indicating it was level, but was actually still twisted. Schwintec has added a second level sensor on my 2015 coach, but I have added my own digital levels, front & rear, to determine an acceptable amount of twist prior to extending the slides. I also check the levels prior to retracting.
alank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2016, 01:13 PM   #158
Winnebago Camper

Need help. Tree fell on big slide. 2013 vista 35B. Model. Want to get whole new parts in Boston area in July. Any great service centers in that area? Thanks
morris61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2016, 01:14 PM   #159
Winnebago Camper

We had the bottom of the slide in 5-6 inches from the tree falling. We're able to get it almost back 100% with great tech here in Hilton head.
morris61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 02:26 PM   #160
Winnebago Camper

How many years has Winnebago had these slide issues are they finally using Power Gear hardware on the new rigs?? I like Winnebago but would never buy one with Schwintec slides.

Tags
slide