Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > General Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 03-05-2020, 12:31 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Replacing stock Stereo - 2014 Winnebago Journey 36m

New to Winnebago.

2014 Winnebago Journey 36m. How do you remove the existing stereo in the dash? Ipod and USB connection not working, so want to test cabling or just replace unit.
MikeA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 01:11 PM   #2
Site Team

Mike, I'm not sure what stereo came in the 2014 Journey. But most either have a bezel around them and once you remove the bezel there can be screws OR you need a couple of specialized tools that slip in the sides and release the clips holding it in.

The sure fire way to do it is to drive your RV to a Car Alarm/Stereo Installation place and them them remove it. They can also fix your issue or sell you a replacement.

Here's a link to a Yelp listing of Car Stereo Installers near you:

https://www.yelp.com/search?cflt=ste...RK%2C+FL+32073
Old 03-05-2020, 01:51 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

thanks for reply. It appears to be River Park? I'll call them and see if they can tell me how I can access the USB, ipod & even where the SD card plugs in for Navi system..
Old 03-05-2020, 02:08 PM   #4
Site Team

OK, then. You have the Xite system. Lot's of posts on that topic.

Do you have the Large 10" screen in your dash? Or the small 6" screen.

Is your Core Unit in a cabinet above the dashboard... or immediately below the screen?

WBGO has installed a number of different versions of the Xite system. So, it depends on which you have.

Normally, on the 10" screen version there is a separate Core Unit. And the USB connection is on the Core Unit itself. Then you click Menu and you'll see USB as one of the options.

On the smaller system there is a door on the lower right marked AUX and you open that. Then click Menu and USB and iPod are on the menu on the screen.

Here's screen shots of both things:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2020-03-05 at 3.06.53 PM.png
Views:	89
Size:	35.4 KB
ID:	173030   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2020-03-05 at 3.06.36 PM.png
Views:	92
Size:	123.7 KB
ID:	173031  

Old 03-05-2020, 02:25 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

10 inch screen... Also, I found where the SD card goes, but apparently it isnt reading or hooked up....

I pulled out SD card and yes, it says Xite in files.. so I know the SD card is good since i can read it on my laptop...
Old 03-05-2020, 02:28 PM   #6
Site Team

So, it's not booting up from the SD card? The card is inserted correct? When it's in place it doesn't stick out hardly at all. It's spring loaded. You push on it and it pops out enough for you to remove it.

If it's not working, call RiverPark and they'll send you a new one. You'll need your model number and serial number of the Xite Core Unit.
Old 03-05-2020, 02:36 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

It inserts correctly.. but when I change to Navi, it says insert SD card ... this is a 2014 system, so River Park probably wont touch it I'm assuming?

I emailed them earlier.. so we'll see... I already found the ipod connection is gone.. no cable hooked to it.. USB is connected, but I cant see to where.. that's why I'm looking to pull it out of the dash and see if things are connected in back..
Old 03-05-2020, 02:40 PM   #8
Site Team

As for RiverPark you'll do better phoning them rather than email.

(800) 442-7717
Monday – Friday, 8 am to 5 pm EST
Old 03-05-2020, 02:42 PM   #9
Winnebago Camper

thanks! I'll try that...
Old 03-06-2020, 10:16 AM   #10
Winnebago Camper

Well, I called them and they were less than helpful... BUT!! I at least know WHY the SD card doesnt read and the ipod connection doesnt work! not many things work via osmosis.. usually requires a cable or some method.. the ipod jack doesnt have a cable connected and the SD card reader, which is on the DVD player below the radio, is missing the ribbon cable too... Are they just lost in the dash? idk? I can lay on my side under the steering wheel and see "some"... gotta be an easy way to remove the dash cover to inspect cabling...
Old 03-06-2020, 10:31 AM   #11
Site Team

It would help if you posted a photo of your system - on most Xite systems with the big monitor there is a Core Unit - a small computer - somewhere. It sounds like yours is below the radio.

On my Core Unit it's just 4-screws, one in each corner and the whole unit can be removed. Is yours that way? I have no way of knowing.

This is part of the "fun" of buying a previously owned RV. You have zero idea of what the previous owner did or did not do. You get the joy (?) of figuring it all out.

I found this photo of the dashboard online of a 2014 Journey 36m. That definitely is the core unit down there above that drawer. It looks like there are 4 corner screws holding it in. Unscrew it and pull it out. Careful not to detach any of the 11,325 (!) wires connected to it. That's a great place to start. Seems you could remove the drawer and get some access to that area, as well.

Have you pulled out the SD card, and tried to update it in a desktop computer via the RM Dock program?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2020-03-06 at 11.26.34 AM.png
Views:	133
Size:	1.43 MB
ID:	173034  
Old 03-06-2020, 10:36 AM   #12
Winnebago Camper

that pic is the exact one I have... the DVD player is above that drawer at the bottom and that's where the SD card reader is.. unfortunately it isnt connected so, I have to find out if the cable is just fallen off and behind or what....

Oh and I pulled the SD card and it reads fine in my laptop.. in fact, I have a newer one....
Old 03-06-2020, 11:22 AM   #13
Site Team

So, have you unscrewed those four screws and pulled the Core Unit out of the compartment?
Old 03-06-2020, 11:45 AM   #14
Winnebago Camper

Well, removing the drawer was the key! I found the ribbon cable to the SD reader!!! hooked up and it works... outdated! but it works.. So now need to update it...
Old 03-06-2020, 11:59 AM   #15
Winnebago Camper

I pulled it out enough to plug the ribbon cable back in..
Old 03-06-2020, 12:06 PM   #16
Winnebago Camper

nevermind.. I am updating now....
Old 03-06-2020, 12:21 PM   #17
Site Team

No, you remove the SD card. Then you need a computer with an SD card reader. If you don't have one you can buy a USB adapter that reads SD cards for $10 to $20.

The updater only works on a desktop computer, not a phone or tablet.

You download the RM Dock program to your computer and then install it and start it.
Connect the Reader, insert the SD card and wait for it to be recognized in the Dock program. Sometimes you may need to restart the Dock program to get it to recognize the card. When it does it will show your serial number. I should mention you have to be connected to internet when using the dock program.

There will be 3 or 4 boxes and the left most (I think) will be update. Click that and wait for it to do it's thing. It can take a long time if it's been a long time since updated last.

You'll see you can also import a route to the GPS there. You would create the route in a RM Trip Planner website and import it to the SD Card.

When all done and the card all updated just put the SD card back into the core unit and start up your Xite system. You'll see a notice that it's updating and this usually only takes a few seconds to a minute.

Simple.

I have a Mac and a PC I find it works fine on both systems. So I use the Mac most of the time.

The Maps are updated frequently, and this is also the method for updating the Xite system and both update at the same time.

Here's the link to the RM Dock program download:

https://www.randmcnally.com/dock

If you don't have an Xite Operations Manual you can find one here:

https://riverparkinc.com/product/xite-x2dml/

Here's a link to other Xite Videos on YouTube:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkF...0uCNMkERVmoutg
Old 03-06-2020, 12:44 PM   #18
Winnebago Camper

thanks creativepart! you've been a big help. I may have a second look and see if I find the ipod and usb cable in there... believe me, it wasnt easy.... flat on stomach... hard to see....
Old 03-06-2020, 01:33 PM   #19
Site Team

Unless yours is very different from mine... there is no external cable whatsoever attached. You have to plug a USB cable into the core unit. If the USB is attached to an iPod, or iPhone or iPad then that will work. But I sure don't know of any of these systems that has an external cable somewhere. It only connects via USB, not some 3.5mm audio cable.

I haven't seen every version - so who knows - but my guess is it's not missing a cable.
Old 03-08-2020, 09:59 AM   #20
Winnebago Camper

Creativepart, as far as updating the maps, this card is too small and says I need to contact River Park to get a new one.. I've tried cloning and copying SD card to an 8GB, but that doesnt work.. It changes the SW version and boots but then after a bit gives me an error that the software is not registered to run on this device.

ideas? I'll call them again Monday AM...

Tags
winnebago, journey