Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-25-2007, 05:34 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

I have a 2000 Model Itasca Horizon. Today I went to replace the dash stereo. All went well and before I went so far as to secure the radio into the dash, I hooked up the wiring harness and the antenae to see if the thing worked, which it did. I then unhooked the harness and antenae so that I could slide the new radio into it housing and then rehooked the harness and antenae. This time I got power to the radio, but no sound from the speakers. When I switch the radio from Aux Power (house batteries) to Main Power (Chasis Batteries with key tuned to Accessory), I get sound. The only think I can think of is that in hooking up and unhooking the wiring harness, I have tripped a breaker or blown a fuse somewhere on the 12 volt side, but I cannot find any problems. Does anyone have a suggestion of where I should look?

300 HP Cat Diesel
GaDawgFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007, 05:34 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

I have a 2000 Model Itasca Horizon. Today I went to replace the dash stereo. All went well and before I went so far as to secure the radio into the dash, I hooked up the wiring harness and the antenae to see if the thing worked, which it did. I then unhooked the harness and antenae so that I could slide the new radio into it housing and then rehooked the harness and antenae. This time I got power to the radio, but no sound from the speakers. When I switch the radio from Aux Power (house batteries) to Main Power (Chasis Batteries with key tuned to Accessory), I get sound. The only think I can think of is that in hooking up and unhooking the wiring harness, I have tripped a breaker or blown a fuse somewhere on the 12 volt side, but I cannot find any problems. Does anyone have a suggestion of where I should look?

300 HP Cat Diesel
Old 10-25-2007, 05:50 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

The best suggestion I have is to download the wiring diagram and trace out the radio 12V supply.

2005 Horizon 40AD, 2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
John_Canfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007, 05:45 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by John_Canfield:
The best suggestion I have is to download the wiring diagram and trace out the radio 12V supply. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I appreciate your response and I did as you suggested and pulled the diagram as well as called Winni. I am still at loss. I get power to the unit from both the chassis and the house batteries, but no sound from the speakers when I select the house batteries. I know this is a simple problem because I connected the radio to the harness and tested it before sliding it into the actual compartment. It worked perfectly, so something happened from when I disconnected the harness in order to properly mount the radio and then reconnected it.

300 HP Cat Diesel
Old 10-26-2007, 09:43 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

do you have surround sound?
skigramp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007, 12:21 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Okay, I am an idiot. I went back over to where I keep the motor home stored today to try and figure out what was wrong. I get there turn the batteries on and the radio works....for a minute and then, no sound again. I then go and look at my battery level and see tht the house batteries are very low. So, was able to get the generator running and bring the batteries back up, and now everything is working as it should.

Thanks to those that offered help, sorry I wasted your time!

300 HP Cat Diesel
Old 10-26-2007, 03:01 PM   #7
Winnie-Wise

Don't feel too bad. Just chalk it up to the many foolish things we ALL do when living with our coaches.
Kazoo Tom is offline   Reply With Quote