Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > General Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 03-08-2020, 10:45 AM   #21
Site Team

I've not had this issue. I'm still using the SD card that came with my system... it's an 8 gig.

I certainly have heard of RiverPark supplier uses with a new SD card in the past. It will be interesting to see what they tell you. Perhaps you'll need to send them the old one. Let us know what happens.

One other thing I've heard is that if you simply made a backup of the original SD card and copied it onto the new card you did not get all the license files with that kind of transfer.

You need disk imaging software to make an "disk image" of the old SD card and then apply that disk image to the new SD card. You'd make a disk image of the old card to the new card, then use the dock to update the old software on the new card.

I don't know how computer savvy you are or what type (OS) of computer you use. So, I can only point you in that direction and leave it up to you to figure out how to do this.

AND... you still may need a new card from RP. I don't know for sure.
Old 03-08-2020, 11:24 AM   #22
Winnebago Camper

I am an IT System Admin.. 35+ years.. Cloning should have done it, but I have a few other ways to try.. I heard MAC users dont have same problem though.. I'll let you know what I find.
MikeA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2020, 08:31 AM   #23
Winnebago Camper

Well, I'm stumped... I can clone the SD image.. and it looks great! RM Dock updates, and it does boot the GPS.. but after a little bit, crashes with Invalid Device..

Per RP, $135 for new card... What? I can buy a new Garmin for $250 - 300...

I'll keep playing but not spending that kind of $$ on older technology...
Old 03-09-2020, 08:52 AM   #24
Site Team

I understand your feelings, but that does seem like a trivial amount in the RV world. I have heard that people that lose their card are usually charged over $200 for the replacement. The card carries the RMD lifetime maps license and the have to pay RMD with the new card.

I’d call RP again with a slightly different story. I’d say “My maps are out of date but when I try to update them I’m told there’s not enough room on the card. What do I do?”

It’s a long shot but I’ve found different tech reps respond differently to different issues.
Old 03-09-2020, 09:08 AM   #25
Winnebago Camper

Actually that's what I told them. They said Oh, we were replacing those up till 2017 but now they cost $135....

Yes, that's not a huge price, BUT! I can get newer technology for just a little more.. cause this unit is a 2014? so already 6 years old..

If I can get it to work, great!! XS90107 on an 8gb SD is what is needed... Maybe I should buy a MAC.. LOL!
Old 03-09-2020, 10:35 AM   #26
Site Team

There must be some licensing info on the SD card. Have you compared the contents of the old card and the newly imaged card to see if anything stands out in one of the config files? I assume you've done a detailed look at the old card to see what makes that one OK.

Wait, does it run on the old card at all?

Does the RM Dock software recognize the new card as legit and display it's serial number info and everything?

I don't know this for sure, but the Xite Core Unit is a PC-based computer. It's not linux. The software runs Windows Embedded - like an ATM machine does. I think the OS and everything is on the card. So, theoretically a new card should make the hardware's date irrelevant.

As an aside, many people don't like the Xite system. MOST of those people are used to Garmin's way of doing things and RM does things bass-ackward to that system. Also, folks with an Xite system with only the 6" monitor don't like it very much either.

I had problems with mine from day one, but within the 1st Month after buying the RV RiverPark replaced my core unit and I've learned to really like the system.

So, you may pay $135 and hate the system. It's definitely a risk to pay for the new SD Card. But you'd go from a 10" mid-dash monitor to a 6 " or 7" system on your dash. And, Garmin doesn't provide free map updates for life.

Every IT person should own a Mac. Current iOS is very much like a cleaned up, improved Windows 7. I was 100% windows from before 3.1 through Win7. When windows went to Win8 I decided to jump ship. I now run a 27" iMac and have a Macbook Pro for the RV. I do have a Parallels VM on both and have Win 10.1 on there. But use it only for a few things not available on Mac. I probably boot Windows 5 times a year.
Old 03-09-2020, 11:13 AM   #27
Winnebago Camper

Yes, the original 4gb SD card works, just out of date maps... I agree, there's something that its not copying...

As for Garmin vs RM.. idk.. We are not FT yet.. eventually I will want to upgrade it..
Old 03-11-2020, 10:41 AM   #28
Winnebago Camper

Well, I called Xite last Friday and was talking to Tech Support and got disconnected... I logged on to website and left them an email message asking for info...

I received a follow up from the tech I had been working with on Friday saying that his supervisor told him to get my address and order me a new 8gb card, FREE of charge! Not the $135, I was told on Monday....

Restored my confidence that they stand behind their product.
Old 03-11-2020, 11:34 AM   #29
Site Team

Super news. This is great.

I've heard that was a big new map update released last weekend. I'll be bringing my RV over on Friday to get ready for a trip to the Texas coast and plan to update my Xite then.

Tags
winnebago, journey