Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > General Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 08-04-2011, 06:58 AM   #21
Winnebago Owner

I have a 02 Journey, 32T (short wheelbase). Bought new and now have 158,000 miles. Stock except for Koni shocks on front. It rides like it is on rails except when high winds are present. Yours is new and under warrantee so before spending thousands on add on's, bring it in to a Freightliner service shop and have the steering box checked for slop,ride height, shocks checked etc. Load distribution and tire pressure pressure are key. It shouldn't change lanes like you stated however winds calls for minor adjustments.

Charlie Tuit
02 Journey, 158,000 miles
XL-7 toad
charles tuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 11:33 AM   #22
Winnebago Owner

I called Freightliner and though they would not endorse the Super Steer Control units, the technician did say that customers had been very happy with the results. I am having them installed next Friday before my return trip to Texas. I also found that my fuel gauge is faulty and will be replaced. He looked up my VIN and mine was one of the units that needed replacement.

I certainly hope for a miracle in improved handling here. I truly love the coach and all of its' amenities. I just want it to be a pleasure to drive like my last coach was.
Old 08-04-2011, 11:48 AM   #23
Winnebago Camper

Motion control valves

I installed motion control valves on my 04 Winnebago and love them. I have been out in Ok. in 45-50 mph winds and it drive great. I installed them myself!! They also help on local roads and turns. You get as much sway!
mdshedman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 07:01 AM   #24
Winnebago Camper

You have to expect problems when you have high gusty winds in any MH. Think of all the sail area you have especially with cross winds. Our 05 34H Journey handles the winds pretty well, however, if you get 40+ mph cross winds you are going to feel it. I found by traveling with a full fresh water tank can really help as it lowers the center of gravity plus makes the rig heavier and more stable. I have not noticed any real change in mpg traveling with a full water tank. Traveling across country we hit some pretty high gusty winds and the MH was affected, however, we saw semi-trucks getting blown all over the place. I love our Freightliner chassis and have had excellent service from them especially the Freightliner service facility in Westbrook, Maine. Good Luck and Happy MHing!
Jackhal1949 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 09:53 AM   #25
Winnebago Owner

Jackhal1949

I do travel with a full tank of water. I always have to lower the center of gravity on all three of my coaches. Fuel mileage coming from Texas to Arizona was 9.3 mpg which is certainly the best I have experienced in all of my previous coaches.

I hope the addition of the Super Steer helps my handling. When I was experiencing poor handling, other RV's and big rigs were passing me like I was standing still and did not seem to be having any problems in the wind.

I am also looking forward to my trip to Camp Freightliner later this month. I know they must build a great chassis and I want mine to be one of them. I think I just have an unknown at this time issue that can be remedied with the proper adjustments.

We usually put about 12,000 miles a year on our coach and a lot of that driving is in areas of high crosswinds. Those miles will be much more pleasurable if the coach handles well. As I said before, my Super C on a class 6 chassis drove great in all kinds of road and wind conditions. I want this coach to do the same.
Old 08-06-2011, 10:26 AM   #26
Winnebago Master

I was in a similar situation when my 40 DP on Freight liner chassis was new. It wasn't so much the wind that was my biggest problem but "road wander" in general. In hind sight, part of that might have been my lack of experience and not looking far enough down the road while driving but a big part of it was real.

After a 6000 mile loop I took her to Henderson's in Grant's Pass. They performed a Road Test Analysis where I told them what I thought I was experiencing and then their tech (in my case John Henderson) took the coach out for a 10 mile test run with me in the copilot's seat. Then they do a 4 corner weight and give you a write up of what they found with the handling and a list of things they can do to help it.

I ended up having them remove slop from the steering gear... replacing the steering bell crank with a SS bearing unit... adding motion control units... checking alignment... and adding a Safe T Plus steering stabilizer. BTW, the Safe T Plus units are now available with an on the fly trim kit which will allow you to adjust the bias on your STP while driving to account for side winds, etc.

Couldn't be happier with it all and with the help I got from Henderson's.

Good luck...

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 11:14 AM   #27
Winnebago Owner

You can dismiss the recommendations for the wheelbase to length ratio of the RV Consumer Group but in this case I think they have a point. A 34ft motorhome with a 208 in wheelbase puts the ratio at 50.9 % which the RVCG considers dangerous. I wouldn't blame Freightliner for the laws of physics.
Old 08-06-2011, 12:17 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by resqguy
You can dismiss the recommendations for the wheelbase to length ratio of the RV Consumer Group but in this case I think they have a point. A 34ft motorhome with a 208 in wheelbase puts the ratio at 50.9 % which the RVCG considers dangerous. I wouldn't blame Freightliner for the laws of physics.
I've been driving essentially the same "dangerous" MH for 9 months. It drives like a dream. I've been towing TT's, driving Class C's and now this DP for over 30 years. This 34' DP is the most comfortable drive I've had in an RV. Simply because a 34' RV has a 208" wheelbase, it's not inherently dangerous or even uncomfortable.

My 2010 Meridian 34y has basement air. I wonder if that contributes to a lower center of gravity.

The OP has not stated if he has tried moving some of his weight forward as I and others have suggested. Seems the only difference between our rigs is weight distribution, both horizontally and vertically.
offthewall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 08:55 PM   #29
Winnebago Owner

I have moved all the "heavy" basement storage to the front compartments. I did that after I weighed the coach and found it to be lighter as a percentage of axle capacity in the front than the back. I don't really know anything else I can do to add weight to the front of the coach without ballast.

I, too, was a bit concerned about a 50.9% wheelbase to overall length ratio. My last coach was 34' with a 266" wheelbase which was a ratio of 65.2%. However, as has been stated here, there are several owners of the short wheelbase coaches that have favorable driving experiences. I will certainly keep trying and working to get this coach to handle the way I expect. I am certainly financially committed to make it right and DW and I really enjoy traveling together. I am hopeful that there is a simple solution.

Please know I am new to the class A coach but have over 60,000 miles in 2 class C's in the last five years. I really do appreciate all the comments and posts to help me to better understand this new experience.
Old 08-08-2011, 05:19 PM   #30
Winnebago Camper

I've owned three Class A rigs, a 1995 Safari Sahara 33' diesel pusher, the 2002 Newmar Freightliner 36' diesel pusher, and then a larger and heavier unit with a tag axle. The freightliner was the only one I had problems with. I used to drive the Safari on Hwy 1 in California with no problem.

I've got over 90,000 miles logged driving class A units. I put 60,000+ miles on the latest Class A, and was driving it in Colorado this past fall when they had 70 mph+ wind gusts that tore siding off a building at the KOA I stayed at in Springs. Was there for my cousin's graduation from the Air Force Academy. Only problems I had with it in the wind was the awning over the right front door blew open and closed until I used 2" wide velcro from Home Depot to strap it down, and the OTA TV antenna literally blew apart while driving down the interstate. The plastic top and circuit board inside the disk antenna literally departed the RV.

One difference between RVs built with Freightliner chassis is the anti sway bars. Before I took mine to Henderson Lineup, I took it over to IPD to see what they had for it. Turned out that their rear anti sway bar could not be installed because of a frame member that Newmar had added to the rear. I imagine that Freightliners that are equipped with the rear anti sway bar would handle better.

And as others have pointed out, it is possible that weight distribution and air pressure might matter, too.

Chris Shaker
cjshaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 05:48 PM   #31
Winnebago Camper

I couldn't get past the 640 mile day statement. I wouldn't know if it drove good, bad or indifferent after 640 miles in one day.

Ours drives great for the first 250 miles per day then seems to drive worse as the day gets longer.
Elkhartjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 02:35 PM   #32
Winnebago Owner

I enthusiastically showed up 45 minutes early this morning at Camping World in Avondale, AZ to have my new motion control valves installed only to find that the manufacturer had shipped them to Albuquerque, NM Camping World by mistake. Sadly, I got my prepaid refund and will make my trip back to Texas on Monday/Tuesday with the same ill-handling chassis I drove to Arizona.

I have decided to wait until after my two days at Camp Freightliner before I make any changes since it is only about a week after I return home.

I was really looking forward to trying and reporting on my experience after installing the new valves. I may still give them a try but only after I have some more dialog with Freightliner.
Old 08-12-2011, 02:58 PM   #33
Winnebago Camper

Great idea Texas TC. I will be interested in Mike Cody's answers for your ill handling mh. I would suggest you know your weights, tire size and air pressures when attending class. BTW...its a great class.
Elkhartjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 03:31 PM   #34
Winnebago Master

Great plan.

Just FYI... before making any changes to my rig two different Freightliner Oasis shops told me that my coach handled "fairly normally" and if after market aids were really any good FL would install them at the factory.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
Old 08-13-2011, 02:10 AM   #35
Winnebago Camper

lowest bidder?

Whomever told you that never heard of a manufacturer using the lowest bidder nor the lowest spec part?

Chris Shaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickO View Post
Great plan.

Just FYI... before making any changes to my rig two different Freightliner Oasis shops told me that my coach handled "fairly normally" and if after market aids were really any good FL would install them at the factory.

Rick
cjshaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 06:35 AM   #36
Winnebago Owner

Send a message via Skype™ to mrschwarz
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickO View Post
Great plan.

Rick
I installed the motion control valves more than a year ago. My DW, who is pretty much oblivious to things mechanical commented on how much better the ride was. As far as I am concerned, Freightliner should include them as standard equipment. For those that say the chassis doesn't need aftermarket aids, before the valves, stand in my galley area and catch everything that comes out of the cabinets when I pull into a gas station.
Old 08-15-2011, 05:10 AM   #37

In my experiances. Owning 7 motorhomes, The present being a Freightliner with a 330 Cat;. I run the 295 x 22.5 at 100 lbs. If WE load it properly and have a full tank of fuel it handles/drives Better then any cars I have ever driven/owned, Including our present new car and truck Both American made; Keep the tire pressure what is stated on the sidewalls of the tires. Not the coach/car/truck spec. They rate the tire pressure for the best ride.
bachler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 06:01 AM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by bachler
In my experiances. Owning 7 motorhomes, The present being a Freightliner with a 330 Cat;. I run the 295 x 22.5 at 100 lbs. If WE load it properly and have a full tank of fuel it handles/drives Better then any cars I have ever driven/owned, Including our present new car and truck Both American made; Keep the tire pressure what is stated on the sidewalls of the tires. Not the coach/car/truck spec. They rate the tire pressure for the best ride.
You need to start buying better cars. LOL
offthewall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 07:02 AM   #39
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by offthewall View Post
You need to start buying better cars. LOL
Amen
Old 08-15-2011, 09:09 AM   #40
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by bachler View Post
Keep the tire pressure what is stated on the sidewalls of the tires. Not the coach/car/truck spec. They rate the tire pressure for the best ride.
It was my understanding that the pressures on the sidewall was the maximum pressure the tire can hold while carrying the maximum weight it is rated for rather than the best ride. Tire mfgrs recommend specific pressures for specific weights.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD

Tags
freightliner, winnebago