Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > General Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 08-02-2011, 08:00 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Love the Winnebago, Freightliner chassis...not so much!

DW and I put in our first full trip day in our new 2011 Journey Express 34Y. We are very impressed with the Winnebago fit and finish and the layout works great for us.

However, driving through Amarillo this morning in a hard angled wind was not much fun. Until the sun came up along with the wind, I was really enjoying the drive. The wind made driving and keeping the coach in my lane very difficult.

Then, just as we topped the long hill on I40 driving west out of Albuquerque, a gust of wind actually moved the coach over a lane. I was very fortunate the driver that was in the lane I was about to occupy was alert and he sped up to get out of harms way. We completed our 640 mile day but I was definitely not real comfortable driving in the mountains after that.

The only thing I have done to the coach is adjusted the air pressure in the tires. I weighed the coach and dropped the front pressure to 85# and rear to 100# to meet the specifications provided by Michelin in my manuals.

I hope the second event was one of those crazy wind conditions that may never occur again. I am a bit concerned about how the chassis handles in windy conditions. The good news for me is that it does not have any adverse handling issues when passing or being passed by large commercial trucks even in the wind.

My last coach was a Super C on a class 6 International truck chassis. I had air suspension added to that coach and never knew when it was windy out.

I know I am going to have to get accustomed to driving a big shoebox but today certainly got my attention.

To add insult to injury, the Freightliner fuel gauge stopped working and then started again twice today and my mode button for the second Allison transmission shift points is not working. I have signed up for Camp Freightliner later this month in Spring, TX. I will try to get some answers from their engineers at that time.
Old 08-02-2011, 09:08 PM   #2
Winnebago Camper

Had a similar freightliner - check for bad grounds

Sounds like Freightliners still handle badly. We had a Newmar Country Star Diesel Pusher 36' we purchased new in 2002, built on a Freightliner. Had similar intermittent problems due to a bad ground. A ground stud on one of the chassis rails was still painted, and wires were attached to it, making a bad ground. Local Freightliner and Cummins were useless. Freightliner experts in Portland found it right away. Was causing intermittent guage failures and check engine lights. Had random gauges fail (coolant temp, air pressure, etc) due to the bad ground. They'd work the next day, usually. I was quite pleased with the Freightliner experts in Portland after spending literally months working with local guys, trying to fix it. Oh. before that, I had a failure on the road due to a loose power connection from the battery tray to the chassis...

I took the RV to Henderson Lineup in Grants Pass, OR, and they updated the suspension, making it handle a lot better. Installed Koni shocks, motion control valves, super steer, SafeTPlus, and got the correct tire inflations for my measured weights figured out. Made a huge difference when in ruts or in gusty conditions. I highly recommend Henderson Lineup. They treated me great

Chris Shaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas TC View Post
DW and I put in our first full trip day in our new 2011 Journey Express 34Y. We are very impressed with the Winnebago fit and finish and the layout works great for us.

However, driving through Amarillo this morning in a hard angled wind was not much fun. Until the sun came up along with the wind, I was really enjoying the drive. The wind made driving and keeping the coach in my lane very difficult.

Then, just as we topped the long hill on I40 driving west out of Albuquerque, a gust of wind actually moved the coach over a lane. I was very fortunate the driver that was in the lane I was about to occupy was alert and he sped up to get out of harms way. We completed our 640 mile day but I was definitely not real comfortable driving in the mountains after that.

The only thing I have done to the coach is adjusted the air pressure in the tires. I weighed the coach and dropped the front pressure to 85# and rear to 100# to meet the specifications provided by Michelin in my manuals.

I hope the second event was one of those crazy wind conditions that may never occur again. I am a bit concerned about how the chassis handles in windy conditions. The good news for me is that it does not have any adverse handling issues when passing or being passed by large commercial trucks even in the wind.

My last coach was a Super C on a class 6 International truck chassis. I had air suspension added to that coach and never knew when it was windy out.

I know I am going to have to get accustomed to driving a big shoebox but today certainly got my attention.

To add insult to injury, the Freightliner fuel gauge stopped working and then started again twice today and my mode button for the second Allison transmission shift points is not working. I have signed up for Camp Freightliner later this month in Spring, TX. I will try to get some answers from their engineers at that time.
cjshaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 09:19 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Mine handled similarly in stiff and gusty crosswinds. Our first trip across Wyoming in gusty wind conditions, I experienced the sudden lane change too and finally pulled off the road for a while to regain my composure. I had the motion control valves installed and it made a world of difference. I have driven it another 35 to 40 thousand miles since without those white knucke experiences. I have not yet touched the shocks or made any other mods to the chassis.
US Gear UBS
FleetMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 09:20 PM   #4
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas TC View Post

I have a 2004 34ft on a Freightliner chassis and it handles very well in wind. The suspension is factory stock. If there are heavy crosswinds you do have to keep correcting the steering but that is to be expected. I guess that if you didn't correct for the wind gusts you could move over a lane if you didn't correct in time.
Pvt. E1 Retired, Shadow Hills,Ca.
Chuck 1935 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 09:36 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Is This a Freightliner Thing?

[QUOTE=FleetMan;920415]Mine handled similarly in stiff and gusty crosswinds... /QUOTE]

My Excursion on a Spartan chassis handles like it is on rails. In fact, three of us were taking it for a pre-purchase spin, I was driving. I lifted my hands off the wheel when a small tree ahead bent over due to a horrific gust. Without anyone holding the wheel, the rig didn't track more than a foot and a half off course.

Could it be a matter of weight distribution, the chassis type, loading or a mixture of several factors?

I think we can eliminate shape...
RVNeophytes2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 10:01 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas TC

We have a 2010 34Y. From your air pressures, I think you might be running a little light on the front end. I add 10 pounds more air than the Michelin charts specify. I run 95 front, 100 rear. We are 8640 on the steer axle and 16460 on the drive axle. We have no issues with wind. I am coming from an e450 based class c that was a nightmare to drive. The 34y is a dream on the highway.

Maybe try shifting some more weight over the steer axle.

We have had the 34Y for 8 months now. No issues at all. We love the floorplan and the general fit and finish for the price. This is our first class a after three travel trailers and the one class c. It's by far the best product we've owned. It had better be, it costs as much as all the others put together!
offthewall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 10:40 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

I have a 40' Winnibago on a Freighliner chassis. I have been in some pretty gusty winds and I have never been moved over a full lane, or crossed the center line.

I would have to know your wheel weights, or axle weights but you may want to look at the charts again. I would not err on the side of "lowest pressure" for the weight, but add a fudge factor of one or two chart pressures. Example: If the extreme lowest end is 85 psi, then you are running at the extreme lowest end. Hypothetically, if 85 psi is for 4500 pounds, and you weigh 4400 pounds, you can only add 100 pounds to the front steer axle. that could be a passenger that weighs more and you would be overweight for the pressure. If the chart indicates 4700 pounds at 90 psi, and you weight 4400 pound, you would have a fudge factor of a couple hundred pounds.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 10:43 PM   #8
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by FleetMan View Post
Mine handled similarly in stiff and gusty crosswinds. Our first trip across Wyoming in gusty wind conditions, I experienced the sudden lane change too and finally pulled off the road for a while to regain my composure. I had the motion control valves installed and it made a world of difference. I have driven it another 35 to 40 thousand miles since without those white knucke experiences. I have not yet touched the shocks or made any other mods to the chassis.
What are motion control valves ?
Pvt. E1 Retired, Shadow Hills,Ca.
Chuck 1935 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 03:15 AM   #9
Winnebago Camper

Motion Control Valves

A truck driver was telling me about motion control valves, and told me that he got them installed on his truck. If I understood him correctly, they are installed between the airbags on each axle, and prevent the unwanted flow of air from side to side, kind of acting like an anti sway bar.

Here is what Henderson's Lineup says about them:

SuperSteer Motion Control Units

Chris Shaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck 1935 View Post
What are motion control valves ?
Old 08-03-2011, 03:36 AM   #10
Winnebago Camper

In its original configuration, my Freightliner chassis was a very tiring to drive in strong gusty crosswinds, or on badly rutted roads, as we get in Oregon from the studded snow tires. It really wanted to follow the ruts in the road.

I remember being on the interstate near the Amana colonies, when really nasty gusty crosswinds came up. I got off the Interstate and slowed down to 45 mph before it felt safe. Other RV drivers around me were doing the same thing. We found a campground and stopped for the night. That was when I started wondering what I could do to improve its handling.

After Henderson Lineup did their work on my Freightliner, I went from having a two handed white knuckled grip in gusty winds or on rutted roads to feeling secure in the same conditions. I sold that RV myself, and the new owner was very happy with the way it handled.

I have no idea how much of the handling improvement was due solely to the motion control valves, and how much was due to the Koni shocks, etc, because we did all of the mods at the same time.

Chris Shaker
Old 08-03-2011, 04:32 AM   #11
Winnebago Camper

This is off the subject but still related to the wind, my Journey does rock some in crosswinds, but my biggest gripe is the awnings pulling out a little then slamming back hard in a crosswind. Does anyone else have this problem? Asked my dealer and he said to pull over until the wind calms down
Old 08-03-2011, 04:42 AM   #12
Winnie-Wise

I owned a 2003 Horizon with the Freighliner chassis, a 32' model I liked to call the tank, it drove and handled very well. Granted it was short, but even in very strong winds, it handled well. Once in Montana, we ran into some 30-50mph sidewinds and gusts, we trucked on for 40 miles in that, until I finally got tired enough to stop, but the RV handled it better than the cars we passed.

Now we have a 2010 Journey 39n, a little longer than your 34y, we haven't driven it all that much yet, but a couple of cross-state trips have been through some wind. I could tell there was wind, some twitching and pushing, but it wasn't that bad.

I do think that 85 psi in the front tires sounds light. I tend to travel with 100psi being the lower limit. I figure I want a little more air pressure if I hit a chuck hole, and the tires will be replaced from age, long before the tread wears out. So a little un-even wear from over-inflation is of small concern.
Old 08-03-2011, 05:30 AM   #13
Winnebago Owner

Put awning lock on your awning. We have installed one on our last two MHs since we had an adventure in strong cross winds in Kansas causing the canvas of the awning to un roll and needing to stop and pull it out several times to allow it to roll back in. Camping world and RVupgrades sell the lock.
Old 08-03-2011, 07:18 AM   #14
Winnebago Owner

I agree with offthewall. Check your weight distribution. At Camp Freightliner we were told that you need 80% or more of rated weight on the front axle for proper handling.
SVTotem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 10:18 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTotem
I agree with offthewall. Check your weight distribution. At Camp Freightliner we were told that you need 80% or more of rated weight on the front axle for proper handling.
That 80% doesn't sound right. You would need your duals on the front in that case. Do you mean 80% of YOUR cargo weight?

I do still think the OP might have too much of his weight on the back.
Old 08-03-2011, 07:02 PM   #16
Winnebago Master

Some good advice above for improving the handling on your Freightliner chassis. The Super Steer Motion Control Valves improve handling in windy conditions, and the Koni FSD shocks greatly improve the ride quality. I would recommend both to improve handling in your coach.

Of course, as many have pointed out above, have your coach weighed and set your tire pressures based on your actual weights. Overinflated tires make your coach very squirrely to drive. Underinflated may cause a blowout.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Pusherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 07:29 PM   #17
Winnebago Owner

The 80% I was speaking of is of the axle rating. Sorry I was not more clear. For example, if my front axle is rated at 10,410 I should have 8,328 or more (within limits) on that axle.

A call to Freightliner help can get the specifics for the coach in question.
SVTotem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 07:30 PM   #18
Winnebago Master

Agree good advice given. I've installed a Safe T Steer steering stabilizer, Koni FSD shocks and the Henderson motion control units and my coach handles well in most all road conditions.

However, anyone who suggests that strong cross winds will not push the coach and cause you to make steering corrections is just, IMO, not being entirely honest about how these things handle. With all my add-on's, driving from Mitchell to Rapid City, SD on I-90 with some strong cross winds was a challenging experience. Some gusts moved me slightly across the center line regardless of how I steered the coach.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 07:45 PM   #19
Winnebago Owner

Gee, I find that driving the MH is so boring that a good gust is just what I need to liven up my day. Keeps ya sharp!

On a serious note, I did find that higher tires pressures do make the MH tend to "dart around" more on uneven surfaces and in cross winds. I opt for 5 PSI over the recommended pressure for my weight.

I am heading for the PNW this fall and am going to have a handling evaluation done at Henderson's I expect to install a safe-t-steer at the least.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Yellowstone Lake 6-1-2012
bluepill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 09:08 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTotem
The 80% I was speaking of is of the axle rating. Sorry I was not more clear. For example, if my front axle is rated at 10,410 I should have 8,328 or more (within limits) on that axle.

A call to Freightliner help can get the specifics for the coach in question.
Ah, thanks that makes more sense. Guess we are good. Just did the calculations. 83% front, 94% rear.

Tags
freightliner, winnebago