Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > General Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 10-09-2023, 09:23 AM   #1
Winnebago Master

Better use of electric space heater?

with winter coming we often get out the heaters and one we use is the small 1500 watt electrical heaters that have a builtin thermostat. It works but the regulation is terrible and the heater is noisy if we put it where we are sleeping.

So we want to move the heater away from us to cut the noise but still want it to maintain the temp where we are in the bedroom!
I also should mention I hate complex things if I can get the same from simple!

One of these remote thermostatically controlled outlets does a lot of good thing for us and really simply!
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Digital-W...eenh/703748915

Tons of different designs and sources but this is one we like.
We plug the outlet in near the front of the RV as far away as we can get it, put the remote where we sleep and let the heater do it's things while we sleep. One big thing is the digital thermostat holds the temp much closer than the builtin on the heater!

Simple plug and play ,so no work involved!
I sleep better and don't care if the heater has to stay awake all night!
Morich is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2023, 10:36 PM   #2
Site Team

Hi Richard,
That is a great device and perfect for the application.
This however begs the question: Did you just get a new RV?
Thanks, Eagle5
Old 10-10-2023, 07:00 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

No Rv at this time. We are currently limited on travel and when we do, it is on a shared basis with friends/family for short term.
Currently selling off, giving away years of small handy items we have collected, which is what brought the heating to mind as we clear things that were put in storage.
Amazing the amount of stuff we no longer will need.
Old 10-10-2023, 03:19 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

I finally found an inexpensive electric heater that has a good mechanical thermostat and is quiet. Steelton Ceramic Heater/Fan FH133 1500 Watts on Heat - High when runing Also has low heat and fan modes.
powercat_ras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2023, 07:35 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Hi Powercat, I use the same one, I think I will get the thermostat plug at Walmart.
Maj Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2023, 07:50 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

The big second feature of the remote control is that you can put the thermostat where you are, not where the heater is located! That difference is a big deal for anybody who wants to get the noise of the heater as far away as possible, making it quieter as well as most any digital thermostat is going to be more precise.
I've never seen a thermostat which is built into the top of the heater that was going to read the overall room temperature as much as it reads the temp right above the heater!

My first move to get better control of the heater was to reuse a house thermostat as it did get me into digital but was then still tooo near the heater as it had to be plugged into the thermostat.
Finding I could go totally remote with the temp reading and control, just made the little extra expense way too convenient to pass up.
Mostly we liked it for sleeping but when wanting to watch T V, we also found we could swap the heater to the back with the remote where we were on the couch. We could stop blasting the TV so loud if we were not trying to hear over the heater running!

Tags
heater, heat, ace