Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-30-2006, 01:15 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Hello,

You may recall my posting from last week about the rear seal leaking on my brand new (200 miles) motorhome. I picked it up last night and all seems well. The repair was handled under warranty.
On the way home from the shop I stopped and got the Meridian weighed - each corner: rig had all our personal gear, full fuel, full propane and half fresh water. I was very pleased with how well balanced the weights were, and how much spare weight capacity I have (24020lbs weighed vs 27910 GVWR). And my Meridian 36G is loaded with options, including washer/dryer.

We head out for a four day trip in a few days. Should rack up about 1k miles. Hopefully no more serious issues...

safe travels,
John
jthvalkyrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2006, 01:15 PM   #2
Winnebago Camper

Hello,

You may recall my posting from last week about the rear seal leaking on my brand new (200 miles) motorhome. I picked it up last night and all seems well. The repair was handled under warranty.
On the way home from the shop I stopped and got the Meridian weighed - each corner: rig had all our personal gear, full fuel, full propane and half fresh water. I was very pleased with how well balanced the weights were, and how much spare weight capacity I have (24020lbs weighed vs 27910 GVWR). And my Meridian 36G is loaded with options, including washer/dryer.

We head out for a four day trip in a few days. Should rack up about 1k miles. Hopefully no more serious issues...

safe travels,
John
Old 09-30-2006, 03:36 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

Good for you John - I have been trying to get a 4-corner weight ever since we have owned the coach and we are finally going to get our chance at the Datastorm Rally in Kerrville in October. I'm almost afraid to get the results since we are fulltiming!

Don't forget to air your tires for the weight.

It might take a while to get your coach issues settled down - hang in there!

2005 Horizon 40AD, 2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
John_Canfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2006, 11:55 AM   #4
Winnebago Camper

thanks for the encouragement John.

I looked through the Michelin Recreational Vehicle Tire Guide which we received with our motorhome. Our rig has 255/80R22.5 XRV tires. According to the air pressure table, and our corner weights, I am running 95psi fronts and 90psi rears. These pressures are higher than I need, but allow me an extra capacity of 600lbs per tire in the front and an extra capacity of +300lbs per side in the rear.
The rig seems to drive nice with these pressures.
When I picked up the motorhome from the dealer he had all the tires set for 100lbs, and the ride was noticably rougher than it is now.

safe travels,
John
Old 10-01-2006, 12:04 PM   #5
Administrator Emeritus

This is an excellent discussion as I've come in contact with several dealers in the past that subscribe to the "fill 'em to the max pressure" mentality...

That's ok I guess,as long as it's THERE BUTT riding in the coach and not mine!!
rebelsbeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2006, 03:37 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Maybe the dealer wasn't inflating to the max pressure of the tire, but rather the suggested pressure on the the sticker on the wall next to the drivers seat provided by Winnebago. That number would have likely coincided with the GVWR of the axles.
zertrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2006, 03:43 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

John,

Try dropping your pressure to about 5lbs over the book weight and give that a try. If it does not improve the ride and especially the handeling then go on back up to the pressure you want to use. It made a huge difference on my Itasca Ellipse 40FD. I never was happy with the ride and handeling until I did that. Then the coupe de gras was to have a set of Centramatics Wheel Balancers installed. It changed my whole attitude about driving long days.

Good luck adn have a lot of fun on your trip.

2006 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
AdrianLee is offline   Reply With Quote