Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > General Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 11-11-2023, 10:20 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Slideout electrical issue 2005 Voyage 36M

Hi Everyone I have a 2005 Winnebago Voyage on the F36M chassis. Front slide issue. Slide has a ram at each end of it, each with its own motor. When trying to extend, rear would move an inch, front would not move at all. Eventually figured out error code was "11", no current detected at front motor. At the slideout control board, there is a 4 wire connector bringing 12VDC to the board. I see 12 volts from one yellow to either white wires, but no voltage on the other yellow wire. Found that issue to be a tripped breaker in the panel behind the top step in the entry stairwell. First attempt after resetting, same issue. Rear of the slide moved out an inch, front did not move, code 11 "no current detected at front motor", possible causes bad motor or wiring to it. Motor has continuity between the red and black voltage input wires whenever I check it. I then retracted, then was able to fully extend the slideout. I have to figure out what is causing this intermittent issue with the front motor not engaging. There is no mechanical interference, and the plugs at the front ram motor are fine, I reseated both early on in this process. Thoughts?
PMcD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2023, 11:13 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

Well, I run into a bit of problem in doing a quick look as the 12Volt coach wiring diagram brings up a page saying not currently available! How long and why is unknown but that it a bummer for getting details, so we move to another plan!

Do you know where there is a label /panel like this?
Click to get a better view!
Click image for larger version

Name:	ram.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	213.4 KB
ID:	187830

Possible one of the second or third is tripped?

Not seeing the location of this panel but sometimes located outside under a cover near the driver's left side?

Lots of small points that can help but the big one might be to see the drawing come back online? Easier to follow their drawing than make our own!
One big point to know is how Winn labels their small wires for ID.

Name:	wire ID.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	30.2 KB
ID:	187831
We can encode/ decode the ID using this chart:
https://www.winnebago.com/Files/File...ical_guide.pdf

Looking at the back side or flipped view of the breakers, we can then look at second and third from RIGHT for a circuit ID of the wires coming in to the breakers and ID for wires going out!

Maybe get lucky and only need to reset this breaker? Or if we can get the diagram to come up again, we can chase it further?
Overall set of drawings is here:
https://www.winnebago.com/Files/File...ram/Wiring.htm
And we would expect to need the 12Volt portion!

Lots easier if we can get that info!
Good luck and shout back if we can add anything?
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2023, 11:25 AM   #3
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by PMcD View Post
Hi Everyone I have a 2005 Winnebago Voyage on the F36M chassis.
Just an FYI... you have a 2005 Voyage 36M. 36M is the model and floorplan number not the chassis.

In 2005, that motorhome came STANDARD with the Ford F53 V10 Chassis. But it was also OPTIONALLY available with the Workhorse Chassis with the 8.1L Chevy engine.

So, it might help us a bit to know if you have the Ford or the Workhorse chassis? Perhaps by putting a "W" in front of the 36M you meant to indicated it was the Workhorse chassis. If so, I apologize for asking again.
Old 11-12-2023, 08:23 AM   #4
Winnebago Camper

Understood, and thanks for the clarification. This is the GM Workhorse chassis.
Old 11-12-2023, 08:28 AM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Thank you for the help, and details! I had found that breaker panel behind the top riser in the entry stairwell, and the breaker for the front motor was tripped. After resetting, the first attempt to extend had the same result. Rear moved an inch, front didn't, then code 11 "no voltage at front slide motor". I retracted, then was able to fully extend and retract several times. But the movement is a little jerky at the start of extension. The front and back of the slideout alternate a small step each, twice, then movement smooths and evens out. I'll have to figure out why that is happening now. Thanks again for your help!
Old 11-12-2023, 09:57 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

We have to take the small steps first and hope it gets better as we go!
A thought about the way wires may go bad?
Something to look about the wires may help. There are times when the actual wire breaks inside the insulation.
Wonder if there is any chance the wire to one motor is going open as it moves and changes the wire shape?
No chance these wires are out where you might look or pull on them?

Still a bummer on info!

Name:	bummer.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	58.0 KB
ID:	187832

BUT? If we are hard a hardheaded optimist, we might try a different way?
Winnebago does keep lots of things the same from year to year and there is a drawing for the 2006 of your RV!
So can we find it matches what you have--- or does it totally mess with our minds??
This drawing for the 12 volt "might" tell you something!
https://www.winnebago.com/Files/File...ire_156243.pdf
Dropping down to sheet2 frame 4 (S2F4), we get some info on the slide controls that may be worth a check if it seems to match for your year?

INFO to use or ignore as you see it!!

If we say the wiring stayed the same from 05 to 06?
Click this snip or go direct to see better!

Name:	2006.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	165.6 KB
ID:	187833
I marked a few point that fit for the front slide. There are some locations given for plugs for the front slide wiring. Possible to get to these plugs and try squirting contact cleaner on any that look funky? RV have a bad habit of letting one or two wires corrode and not work right!

This decode chart will tell lots of info on the "from" and "to" of each wire.
https://www.winnebago.com/Files/File...ical_guide.pdf

It won't extend well but retracts okay? Correct?
But wire DR is an extend wire and DU is for retract, maybe DR is going bad at some point?
DY shows as ground and if the rear slide works, DY is assumed to be getting past this plug okay!

Maybe something to chase or maybe not!!!
Old 11-13-2023, 05:27 AM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Thank you very much!
Old 11-23-2023, 05:27 AM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by PMcD View Post
Hi Everyone I have a 2005 Winnebago Voyage on the F36M chassis. Front slide issue. Slide has a ram at each end of it, each with its own motor. When trying to extend, rear would move an inch, front would not move at all. Eventually figured out error code was "11", no current detected at front motor. At the slideout control board, there is a 4 wire connector bringing 12VDC to the board. I see 12 volts from one yellow to either white wires, but no voltage on the other yellow wire. Found that issue to be a tripped breaker in the panel behind the top step in the entry stairwell. First attempt after resetting, same issue. Rear of the slide moved out an inch, front did not move, code 11 "no current detected at front motor", possible causes bad motor or wiring to it. Motor has continuity between the red and black voltage input wires whenever I check it. I then retracted, then was able to fully extend the slideout. I have to figure out what is causing this intermittent issue with the front motor not engaging. There is no mechanical interference, and the plugs at the front ram motor are fine, I reseated both early on in this process. Thoughts?
Had the same code, after all kinds of work found the issue was bad connection at the motor. Wire nut was used and it had fallen off.
dale57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2023, 06:45 AM   #9
Winnebago Camper

I have what sounds like a similar issue on the large slide (2005 voyage 33v, W22). This is going to be funny but what mine sounds like is : rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr,stop,rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr,stop,rrrrr rrrrrrrrrrrr....

It's almost like the motor is amping out for a second then restarting. Just one motor does this the other keeps running fine. I tend to think the screws are out of sync and it causes binding in the slide movement. I don't get the code though.
Old 11-23-2023, 06:57 PM   #10
Winnebago Master

You've been checking the positive side of the 12V system, have you insured the ground side connections are clean and tight, and has continuity? Voltage cannot be detected if there is no ground.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA. "We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution." Abraham Lincoln
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2023, 09:12 AM   #11
Winnebago Master

The drawing is still shown as not available, but part of the idea is that the ground on DY is used for both extend and retract, so my thinking led me toward it being a power side question.
They may have discovered some item so critically wrong they wanted to redraw the whole drawing?
But if we get into guessing, we might also have to guess if the next years drawing was also a problem??
One of those where we never know till we look!

Tags
electrical, slideout, slide, voyage