Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Towing, Hitching and Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 11-24-2022, 09:47 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Towing a Toad

My wife and I just purchased a 2014 Itasca SunCruiser 37F, V10, and we plan to tow a 2004 Jeep Liberty 4x4 with a Blue Ox setup professionally installed. What I did not purchase, on the recommendation of the dealer, was a braking system. The individual stated he would gladly take my money and install a braking system, but with the weight of the Jeep being under the specified limits it was not necessary to spend the extra $1,500.

Thought from any of you who read this.
fyreplug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2022, 10:19 AM   #2
Living The Dream

It’s alway best to stop short rather than long. Toad braking is mandatory in my mind, no matter what laws the various state politicians dreamed up.

I googled Jeep Liberty curb weight … got this:
3,507 to 4,270 lbs

That is heavy and over the supplemental braking minimum requirements in most states.
SeeTheUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2022, 10:40 AM   #3
Site Team

When you need supplemental breaking you really need it. Adding 5,000lb to the weight of your 38' RV on a 24,000lb chassis can really tax your brakes on the RV.

No need to spend $1,500 for a Aux brake setup. We purchased a Brake Buddy online on Ebay for $500 and the only installation was for the breakaway switch in the front of the toad to a location near the Brake Buddy. The total cost was under $800 and we've had good service from the system for 45,000 miles over 5 years.

The Brake Buddy isn't state of the art, it's not even proportional braking. It only activates on hard braking and the rest of the time does nothing. But when someone pulls out in front of us and I hit the brakes the Brake Buddy slams on the toads brakes and I can feel it pulling back on the motorhome. In those situations it makes a big difference.

And, knowing that if my toad separates from the motorhome that the Brake Buddy will stop my toad from running off into the next lane killing someone in a head on collision is a HUGE plus.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/12562100128...item1d3f985c43
Old 11-24-2022, 02:20 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

A good, and relatively inexpensive option is a Ready Brake system. It's entirely mechanical and doesn't depend on electricity, electronics or vacuum. There's also nothing to install/deinstall each time you use it:

https://www.readybrake.com/store/c3/...g_Systems.html
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2022, 12:17 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Add on to Brake System

Ok,
I have determined which braking system I'm going to purchase, Ready Brake, after talking with an installer who has done different brake installations for 17 years. My next question is: How many of you have installed an "emergency break away kit."
Thanks for your replies.
fyreplug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2022, 02:02 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

You may not think you need a brake system . After my crash at 55mph into a stop sign runner , I say you do . My Air Force One system did a great job in slowing ,stopping my toad , CRV , and kept the coach straight as I went thru him . If you do have a accident , police,lawyers will check to see if you do . Get one and have piece of mind . That jeep WILL push your RV .
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1448.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	408.8 KB
ID:	184686   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1444.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	297.4 KB
ID:	184687  

deckape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2022, 03:55 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by fyreplug View Post
Ok,
I have determined which braking system I'm going to purchase, Ready Brake, after talking with an installer who has done different brake installations for 17 years. My next question is: How many of you have installed an "emergency break away kit."
Thanks for your replies.
Yes I have, and you need it. Most states require it. If your toad ever breaks away, you need it to protect other people from a runaway toad. It probably won't do much to protect your toad from damage, but it might. It's a simple install at the same time the Ready Brake is installed.

https://www.readybrake.com/state-towing-laws.html

I suggest that you devise a way to prevent accidental activation or intentional activation of the breakaway system by a curious kid or adult. I used a wire tie to secure the cable eye to the toad so it would only activate with a strong, wire-tie breaking pull. A casual "I wonder what this is" pull won't do anything. Otherwise you'll have to reset the little mechanism that locks the cable in place as it's pulled so the brakes don't release after the breakaway system is activated. You want a certain amount of slack in the cable which won't be there after a non-emergency pull.
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2022, 06:42 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

Keep in mind that the only thing holding the hitch in the receiver is often just a large cotter pin!
If that hitch comes out of the receiver, you are left with hoping the safety cables hold as being the only thing between you and huge lawsuits when they find you are not fully equipted, even in states that may not require it.
You can be legal in the backwards states that don't require it but the legal system will not be looking for that as much as how to make you pay!
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2022, 04:47 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Nobody plans to need to make an emergency stop, but It's best to have the capability if you need it. Plus, most states require brakes for anything over 3,000 pounds, some even less.

https://www.hitchsource.com/braking-...ents-cp-3.html
JimStreit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2022, 05:11 PM   #10
Winnebago Owner

I believe that there are only about a dozen states which do not require a "breakaway system". Almost all of those adjacent states do require the breakaway system. You would be very limited where you travel without the breakaway system!!!

Get the system which gives you good breaking. I have used Brake Buddy, ever since I started towing a "Towed", 30 years ago. Prior to that, I had only towed light boat trailers, and I had a break away and supplemental surge system for those. Also be away you cannot or should not back up with any towing system. If you do it with the surge braking system, the brakes will lock, unless. you mechanically lock them out, or have an electric solenoid which locks the breaks out, connected to the back up lights. (When in "reverse")
thataway4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2022, 06:45 PM   #11
1996 Itasca 29Q

If you plan on travelling to Canada you will need brakes on your toad including the break-away option.
Bobn1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2022, 10:42 AM   #12
DNC
2016 Journey 36M

Liability alone is reason enough to have one. I bought mine at a garage sale along with the Blue Ox tow bar. I have the Roadmaster Evenbrake that sits in the floor and pushes the brake pedal with air from a small built-in compressor and tank. I had to replace a valve, but otherwise it works fine. I even got the safety cables, breakaway cable and mechanism; basically, everything except the base plate. I paid about $400 for the baseplate (new online purchase), but I got everything else for $200.
DNC is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
toad, tow, towing