Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Towing, Hitching and Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 06-23-2019, 07:18 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Towing a Toad

If I were to use this:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190614_175316.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	369.0 KB
ID:	171791  
Old 06-23-2019, 07:19 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

And used this:
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	c632acb19cd5709686cc940eca7da126.png
Views:	152
Size:	418.3 KB
ID:	171792  
Old 06-23-2019, 07:22 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

To tow this:
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20181220_171517.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	354.2 KB
ID:	171793  
Old 06-23-2019, 07:24 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Would my Jeep lites have to lite up too, or would the LED lites on the dolly suffice?
Old 06-23-2019, 08:03 PM   #5
Winnie-Wise

When we used a dolly there were no other lights on the towed.
WinnieView is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2019, 10:01 PM   #6
Winnie-Wise

Can that Jeep even be towed on a dolly? You may want to consider flat towing it.
BirchyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 05:04 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

My first choice on a rig like that would be to trailer it, then flat tow.
What is a dolly tow going to get you?
Probably most expensive, and convenient, option would be flat tow. Trailer would save a lot of wear and tear on the Jeep mechanicals.
Maybe it depends on how many miles you are planning on traveling.
To answer your question - dolly lights will be sufficient.
Phil-T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 07:30 AM   #8
Winnebago Owner

I guess using a dolly would get the frontend off the ground and not wear it out. I would think a dolly would be alot easier to store than a trailer once I reach a campground. And, would some campgrounds have restrictions on storing a trailer? If it was a newer jeep I would have no problem flat towing. But being a 94 and lifted, the frontend isn't as tight as it could be.

Using a trailer I would be over 58' long. Thought about renting a uhaul trailer 4 a 12hr trip just to see how it goes.

We plan on doing alot of cross country traveling. We go down to the Gulf now with our 5th wheel. 1100 miles...

What would be the reason I may not be able to use a dolly?
Old 06-24-2019, 10:26 AM   #9
Winnebago Owner

No reason you can't use a dolly. That toad is manual shift with 4 position transfer case. Put it in neutral and go. I only suggested the trailer to save on the jeep running gear. Consider the rear axle ratio and how fast you will be towing. I would not tow it any faster than you would drive it.
Phil-T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 10:41 AM   #10
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil-T View Post
No reason you can't use a dolly. That toad is manual shift with 4 position transfer case. Put it in neutral and go. I only suggested the trailer to save on the jeep running gear. Consider the rear axle ratio and how fast you will be towing. I would not tow it any faster than you would drive it.
The only reason I asked about the reasoning I can't tow using a dolly is because BirchyBoy questioned whether I can even use a dolly. I have new spider gears in the rear and the fluid was changed last year. I would think there would be minimum wear on the running gear if the rear was the only think turning. Have a new quality driveshaft too....

So just put the tranny and transfer case in neutral and go? Maybe I'll rent a dolly and see how it goes for a relatively short trip, days drive each way.

The rear gear is a highway gear, unfortunately, but may be a good thing in this scenario...... Should be fine at 65mph......
Old 06-24-2019, 11:49 AM   #11
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltLife View Post
The only reason I asked about the reasoning I can't tow using a dolly is because BirchyBoy questioned whether I can even use a dolly. I have new spider gears in the rear and the fluid was changed last year. I would think there would be minimum wear on the running gear if the rear was the only think turning. Have a new quality driveshaft too....

So just put the tranny and transfer case in neutral and go? Maybe I'll rent a dolly and see how it goes for a relatively short trip, days drive each way.

The rear gear is a highway gear, unfortunately, but may be a good thing in this scenario...... Should be fine at 65mph......
I have never seen nor read of any 4WD vehicles being towed on a dolly unless the rear driveshaft is disconnected. My practical knowledge is limited to my current Wrangler which is a 2013. The manual says it can’t be towed with either axle off the ground, it has to be flat towed. Yours is obviously not the same and you may want to confirm if anyone with the same year is dolly towing.

I have a NSA ReadyBrute tow bar that I have less invested in than I would have a dolly. Flat towing is very easy with the current generation Wrangler.
Old 06-24-2019, 01:58 PM   #12
Winnebago Owner

Thanks, I'll look into it. That's the rub, mine is a few generations older. Oversized tires are already tough on the frontend. I think flat towing it across country would really be hard on it. I need to do some research...

Pulling the driveshaft wouldn't be a biggy. It's real short..

Thanks...
Old 06-24-2019, 02:30 PM   #13
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Thanks, I'll look into it. That's the rub, mine is a few generations older. Oversized tires are already tough on the frontend. I think flat towing it across country would really be hard on it. I need to do some research...

Pulling the driveshaft wouldn't be a biggy. It's real short..

Thanks...
Sorry I couldn’t be more help. If you want to dolly tow it, maybe a driveshaft disconnect could be installed.
Old 06-24-2019, 05:19 PM   #14
Winnebago Owner

Went to a nearby town and looked at uhaul trailers and dollys. It said on the dolly to remove the driveshaft on 4x4s, so u were correct. Now, I wonder how big of a tire the harness can handle. I have 33s. The place just closed when I showed up...
Old 06-28-2019, 10:22 PM   #15
Winnebago Camper

I tow my '92 Wrangler, flat. Transfer case in neutral, tranny in 4th gear. Keeping it in gear keeps the oil pumping. 3" lift on 33's. Yet to have any issues. I also have the roadmaster tow bar with brackets that connect to the tow tabs on my aftermarket front bumper. so easy to connect and disconnect!
Old 06-29-2019, 06:47 AM   #16
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vhol5 View Post
I tow my '92 Wrangler, flat. Transfer case in neutral, tranny in 4th gear. Keeping it in gear keeps the oil pumping. 3" lift on 33's. Yet to have any issues. I also have the roadmaster tow bar with brackets that connect to the tow tabs on my aftermarket front bumper. so easy to connect and disconnect!
Good to know. How far do you tow it? Or, what's the furthest you've towed?
Old 06-29-2019, 08:07 AM   #17
Winnebago Master

I used to tow my ford Explorer on a dolly all the time. You were supposed to be able to install a switch that put the transfer case in neutral for towing, but as luck would have it, my particular model did not have the proper tranny for that so I would remove the drive shaft. Didn't take long but it was a pain if it had rained or was muddy. Eight cap screws is all.

As for lights, not sure of the law in all states but I purchased a wireless magnetic light that wrecker companies use. It had a remote that plugged into the trailer light socket in the back of the MH and I would set the unit in the back window. Worked great. You can find them on line
Cooperhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2019, 10:09 PM   #18
Winnebago Master

Two thoughts here. We REALLY wanted to make our 1998 Ford Ranger XLT our dinghy, but it is an automatic. To birchyboys' point, we had a RemCo shaft conversation installed. Simple, all mechanical, disconnect from inside the cab. Six years later, still loving it.

To your original tail lights question, we have an ACME EZ Tow we use when we want to take our Camry XLE. Normally, we run with the dolly lights, and have never been stopped. But, as we have received conflicting answers from highway patrolmen (at rest stops) , just n case, we carry a set of magnetic lights. Have only used those in foul weather as a safety measure.

Fair Winds and Following Seas
Oldchinahand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2019, 08:40 AM   #19
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Good to know. How far do you tow it? Or, what's the furthest you've towed?
Longest single pull was about 3600 miles. Most other trips are 500-1500 miles.
No issues to date.
Old 06-30-2019, 09:03 AM   #20
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vhol5 View Post
Longest single pull was about 3600 miles. Most other trips are 500-1500 miles.
No issues to date.
Cool. Do u have a pic when hooked up?

Tags
toad, tow, towing