Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Towing, Hitching and Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 05-23-2021, 04:59 PM   #21
JCM
Winnebago Camper

I have a friend who use to swear about his tow dolly until he finally tried a blu-oxe tow bar - now he wouldn't go back. He can take less time to set his unit up and down. Also he doesn't have to find a place to park the darn dolly. I have used mine for 12 years (3 different cars and now a 2012 CRV and loved it all the time). One little point - make sure you put on your emerg brake before disconnecting the tow bar or have your running shoes on- yes I did catch it./
Old 05-23-2021, 05:13 PM   #22
Winnebago Camper

After towing with a dolly I switched to flat tow. Ready Brute Elite 2, base plate and wiring harness came to around $1600. I self installed it on my Wrangler.
BigWoods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2021, 05:18 PM   #23
Winnebago Camper

I prefer the blue ox tow bar because of how sturdy it is and then the road master base mount on the TOAD because of how simple it is to bolt on to your front frame. Then I use the Brake Buddy for deceleration sensing and pressing the brake pedal. Very easy to install and press auto setup in 2 minutes.
Pdest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2021, 06:43 PM   #24
Winnebago Camper

I have a 2014 Honda CRV and had the base plate installed by CampingWorld soon after I bought it. I use the NSF brake system and have been happy with it. This braking system is quick hook up and uses the Honda’s lights. I had a charge line installed in the electrical plug. I tow with Blue Ox tow bar. I tow behind a 2008 Winnebago View.
Trooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2021, 07:18 PM   #25
Winnebago Camper

After towing with a dolly I switched to flat tow. Ready Brute Elite 2, base plate and wiring harness came to around $1600. I self installed it on my Wrangler.
BigWoods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2021, 11:22 PM   #26
WinnieAdven38

Our Toad is a 2007 Honda CRV, which has worked great after crossing the country twice and going to all 4 corners towed behind our Winnebago Adventurer. It is a great tow vehicle - just be sure to follow Honda's precise tow instructions to the letter and you should not have any problem.

You will need to install a towing base plate. I used the Blue Ox and installed it myself. A bit of work but it has worked well. I really like that their system utilizes removeable towing connectors which slip in easily to the front of the base plate and allow for quick connection the tow bar. But when not towed you can remove these and have a very clean looking front end without any "shin busters" sticking out.

You need to pick a tow bar. I opted for the NSA ReadyBrute Elite because it integrates a surge braking system - eliminating the need for an expensive, and time consuming to set up each time braking box. Went with this after talking with some other full timers who were also towing similar Hondas and they really liked that tow bar. After using for the last 3 years I totally concur. You will have to run a cable down past the engine and through the firewall right in front of the brake pedal. The hardest part of this is drilling the hole in the firewall for this as they used a high grade steel.

You will also have to wire the car for brake light & Turn signals. I opted for a kit which adds LED bulbs into the rear taillights - which worked well because they are so big. Harder to run the wires up to the front to the electrical tow cable connector - which you will also need to buy. You will also have to buy a 7 pin electrical tow cable which connects the motor home electrics to the car lights.

I did all this work myself and though a bit of work the results have been great. One thing I really appreciated in doing all this work was noticing how well this particular Honda is designed and built - just incredible. Again, we are using our 2007 which we bought new and which now has over 112,000 miles on it. We have always loved this vehicle as it has served us well. I have done ALL the maintenance work on it (very little required actually other than oil changes, tires, etc.) and it still runs great. I have only used Mobile 1 synthetic oil because I can extend the oil change intervals.

In any case - you have lucked out by getting the best tow vehicle out there - and with very low mileage. Have fun!
HappiHenri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2021, 12:53 AM   #27
Winnebago Camper

We have a 2014 Jeep Cherokee that we tow with a 2015 27N using the RVi brake system and have only positive results. It’s easy to set up and quick to unhook. The tire pressure monitors are a pain to to set up initially but worth it for peace of mind. We’ve been cross country and up into Canada without any breaking issues what so ever.
Nmdoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2021, 12:55 AM   #28
Winnebago Camper

We tow a 2014 CRV with a Roadmaster Falcon All Terrain tow bar and Brake Buddy supplementary braking system..

Brakebuddy.com
Roadmasterinc.com
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	18700007_10154406862907413_5964667245355124128_n.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	52.3 KB
ID:	179057  
flapwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2021, 01:05 AM   #29
Winnebago Watcher

I have used the Ready Brute and appreciate the ”all cable connection” of the surge brake. No doubt many systems will work but the reliability of a direct cable connection is hard to beat. Definitely proportional braking with zero chance of a weird electrical signal causing max braking or no braking. Definitely low probability but…
BigBird46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2021, 12:30 PM   #30
Winnebago Owner

So I converted my old 2009 Honda Fit to a four down. It was a lot of work to convert it. But it wasn't really horrible. The base plate was just as hard as the brake system. I went with a Demco Stay-N-Play system. That was somewhat tricky to install but doable. If I were to do it again, I would look into the surge system since the car is so light.

I am very happy with the final product, but it was a big project for me and my son.

Point of note, never attempt to back up with the vehicle back there. I forgot on my first trip and that was a quick lesson learned.
Mashmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2021, 09:29 AM   #31
Winnebago Camper

Check the owners manual

I perused the replies. One thing you want to do is read the Honda User Manual. There is a routine you want to go thru before you set out each day or every 8 hours. There is a 65 mph speed limit too.

I flat towed our 2014 CRV around the country with no problems.
fbuckwalter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2021, 09:33 AM   #32
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by fbuckwalter View Post
I perused the replies. One thing you want to do is read the Honda User Manual. There is a routine you want to go thru before you set out each day or every 8 hours. There is a 65 mph speed limit too.

I flat towed our 2014 CRV around the country with no problems.
My base plate came with two bright yellow stickers with the procedure on them. I stuck them on the visor and by the switch I installed to bypass the fuses.
Mashmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2021, 07:46 PM   #33
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by dandr614 View Post
I am looking specifically for any feedback on the RVi system if anyone has any information or feedback they would be willing to provide.
I can give you some input, I have the complete RVI set up. tow a 2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee and I had to install a wiring harness to keep the electronic steering engaged so. I went with the RVi 3 system for the jeep. Easy to install and hook up the first time. I did have to install a plate that they provide for the brake unit to butt up too. I also used the wireless break away kit so i did not have to run a wire through the fire wall for the break away switch. I also used their charge line kit because i needed to power the battery due the the Jeeps issue with keeping the steering box powered. Lastly, i went with the RVi Tire pressure monitors for the coach and the toad. I have the road master nighthawk tow bar and base plates.

What i like about the RVi system is that they provide a tablet that everything is in one place. i can monitor and adjust the braking power on the toad, from the tablet, can monitor air pressure of all the tires, the break away switch, and the state of the battery charge in the toad. Its not the least expensive option, but it is pretty comprehensive, which is what i was looking for.
ftodaro is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
toad