Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Towing, Hitching and Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 05-17-2021, 09:10 AM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

Smile Newby Toad vehicle question

Hi, all! Please be patient and kind with your answer as we are learning... Thanks in advance. New to the forum and to Winnebago Minnie ownership.

We took our 2301BHS out for the first time this weekend. We used a Z71 2021 Chevy Suburban with the max trailering package as our tow vehicle. My partner made a rookie mistake of loading up water tanks at home and hauling to our campsite which was just over an hour away.

Our Z71 has a maximum tow of 8300 and 2301BHS GMW has gross weight of 8800 pounds, dry weight of 5960. We noticed that with the water tanks filled (37 gallons), the back end of tow vehicle was really weighed down. We do not have a weight distribution hitch/sway control (YET!) but will be purchasing immediately.

We were just blissfully ignorant of the danger. My question is, if we empty the fresh water tanks and upgrade the hitch, do you think we will be within max towing or do we really need to get a pickup to haul?

Thanks for advice!
EcoKim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2021, 10:31 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

First, the term "toad" (aka dinghy) refers to a vehicle towed behind a motorhome. Your question has to do with a "tow vehicle". This is a common mistake with new RVers, so don't be embarrassed.

A weight distributing hitch and sway control will help quite a bit, as well as removing as much weight as possible. Rather than empty your water tank completely, try half full. I also suggest weighing your trailer to see how close you are to the 8,800 lbs when loaded for travel.

Although full water and waste tanks add a lot of weight, all your stuff adds up as well. The weight you carry in the Suburban is also a factor. Generally tow ratings are based on a load of one 150 lb driver and a full tank of gas (no spouse, kids, dogs, stuff, etc.)

I always tried to stay within 80% of my tow vehicles rated tow capacity. A lot also depends on the terrain in which you'll be traveling. You may be able to get by with your Suburban but you'll be cutting it close even after reducing your weight as much as possible. Personally, my advice is to get a tow vehicle that is more suited to your situation.

There are numerous threads on Winnieowners and its sister site Irv2.com on this topic. Here are a few. Note that, due to to popularity of smaller TTs, many relate to towing Micro Minnies so you'll need to sort through the list to find threads pertinent to your situation:

https://www.google.com/search?q=tow+...w=1309&bih=621

Here are a couple of articles/guides as well:

https://www.trailerlife.com/towguide...t-tow-vehicle/

https://www.rvuniversity.com/staticp...ow_Trailer_101
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
toad