Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Towing, Hitching and Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 05-18-2021, 11:24 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

TOAD question, new

Hello,

I have a 2019 Vista LX 27N. My mother in law has just given me her 2009 Honda CRV, front wheel drive, as she is moving into assisted living. Given this vehicle only has 45000 miles on it and drives well (just drove it across the country) I was wondering on advice as I look to purchase equipment to pull this behind the RV. All I have come across to this point indicates that this Honda can be flat towed. Just didn't know if there were recommendations on setup, precautions, or lessons learned folks would share? Thank you very much.

Regards
Old 05-18-2021, 12:08 PM   #2
Site Team

The pre 2015 Honda CRV is one of the most popular Toad vehicles in the RVing world.
Old 05-18-2021, 12:28 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Thanks creativepart for the reply. It seems from what I have read that it isn't a bad choice
Old 05-19-2021, 11:54 AM   #4
Winnie-Wise

I prefer to dolly tow, because you can tow all front wheel drive vehicles and a lot of rear wheel drive vehicles without haveing the expense of changing your setup (brakes, towbar, etc). That's just my opinion. I currently tow a Hyundai Tucson and it has been from Florida to California and back, several times.
Mtn Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2021, 12:31 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Thanks Mtn Charlie for the reply. I had thought about that as well but part of the reason we went with the 27footer was to keep our footprint small. Granted I think a tow dolly in the park wouldn't take up that much more room, but something else to consider. Looking at the pricing of some of the 4 wheels down options a tow dolly is looking very competitive
Old 05-19-2021, 01:13 PM   #6
Site Team

We've been to some parks that don't allow tow dollies and trailers to be kept on the site with you but direct you to an area (not always secure) where you store it for your stay.

We chose 4-down because I thought it would be quicker for hookup. I said to my wife that no matter the weather we would need to take the time to put the car on a dolly, tie it down and ensure it's secure. That means driving rain, blistering heat or heaven forbid snow. Towing 4-down she pulls the car behind the rv, I insert 2 pins/locks and 2 safety chains then the braking mechanism and we are on the way. We use a wireless remote light that sits on the trunk lid, so she does that as I'm connecting the car. We can be on the road in 5 minutes tops.

We're using a ReadyBrute Elite towbar. It's a surge brake that activates the brake pedal of the car, so no electronics needed and no costly braking devices. The light is a TowMate portable light that a lot of tow trucks use now.
Old 05-20-2021, 12:10 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Thanks all for the information shared thus far.

My next question is around any recommendations and how to go about it?

I did see a reference to the ReadyBrute Elite towbar with the integrated surge brake.

I've done some looking around it is seems $2500-$almost whatever you want to spend is the going price for the materials. I've looked at Roadmaster. Blue Ox and some others for baseplates and tow bars. Just wondering if anyone else had any recommendations? I will probably do a self install of everything I can as it seems dropping the bumper cover and just a few modifications will allow a fairly easy install of the base plate on the Honda.

Thanks again in advance for any additional thoughts.
Old 05-20-2021, 02:10 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper

I am looking specifically for any feedback on the RVi system if anyone has any information or feedback they would be willing to provide.
Old 05-20-2021, 03:15 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

4 Down is easy - our 2002 HOnda CRV has been flat towed for nearly 20 years with no adverse impact on the vehicle's performance or longevity. We struggled with Demco's portable Delta Force system (failures, false braking etc) for years - DEMOC replace the system for us with their Stay In Play Duo permanently installed system. (The Delta Force product was something they acquired via acquisition of another company). We love the simplicity of operation of the Stay In Plan and did a lot of research on it before adopting it. The feedback was very positive and our experience is matching that positive experience. We have a steel tow bar which is heavier but very solid, aluminum tow bar systems are very popular too. Not sure which is better. Good luck.
TJFogelberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2021, 03:23 PM   #10
Winnebago Owner

We have a 2021 Vista that we flat tow a Grand Cherokee. We use the RVi system and it works great. Simple to setup and use (about a minute). Plug in power and it does an automatic calibration to the brake pedal. Have about 3000 miles on it so far between Michigan and Florida.
Mickey_Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2021, 07:00 PM   #11
Winnebago Watcher

I put the Blue Ox accent (7500 gvw) tow bar with the patriot 3 braking system.
Andyusmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2021, 05:15 AM   #12
Winnebago Owner

Using Roadmaster here for 5 years. Falcon towbar and invisibrake brake system. The invisibrake is "do nothing" to use once installed.
I would never go to a dolly, given our travel style. Four down is definitely more costly than a dolly, but worth the convenience in my opinion.
Old 05-21-2021, 03:10 PM   #13
Winnebago Master

The tow dolly route has the advantage of not needing any modifications to the tow car, and is cheaper, just cost of a tow dolly, no labor.

I went with Blue Ox flat towing solution and the total parts cost is in the $ 2,000 to $ 3,500 range the high number includes the cost of a brake assist like the Blue Ox Patriot or Invisibrake, and a rock guard for the front of the toad. Then there's labor if you are not willing or able to do the modifications to the tow car yourself.

Both have a slight learning curve, to do the correct things in the correct order to connect and disconnect. Both come with some limitations as you become a 15' longer length that can't back up unless you disconnect the tow car first.
powercat_ras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2021, 03:57 PM   #14
Winnie-Wise

I bought my TowMaster dolly, with electric brakes, for about $1,500 about 3 years ago. It has performed flawlessly. If I purchase a new front wheel drive vehicle, I will have no set up expense. For an extra 10 minutes hook-up time, I can handle that.
Mtn Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2021, 06:25 PM   #15
Winnebago Owner

It will really depend on what you want to do. I tow a hyundai elantra 4 down, the stuff came with the rv when we bought it. Guy had towed a morris clubman and had all tow stuff taken off. You can find tow stuff relatively cheap if you look at craigslist etc. There are also some rv sites that have classifieds for stuff. You will get naysayers who frown upon used equipment but most can be refurbed by the original makers for little to nothing. I have seen complete tow systems for less than $200 or so so that is something to think about. I have the AFI braking system, installed it myself.

I had CW do the base plates when they had a $39 install offer, just had to buy them thru them. They also installed the electric harness at same time. I could have gotten base plates a little cheaper off net but was quoted $90+ on up to install hourly rates. I bought a another brand new brake system for my pickup and a fellow gave me the base plates for the truck. so there are economical ways to get things done, just all depends on what you want/need. Dont forget if you have a dolly it will depend on you home situation to store or may cost to have it at storage lot with the rv?
hank857 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2021, 07:05 PM   #16
Winnie-Wise

I said heck with it and just bought a 16' Aluma car hauler.It weighs 1000 #s and I can haul any of our cars or more importantly (to us) our Polaris Ranger and stay well under the 5000# limit.

Is it as simple as flat towing? No. Is it more useful and worthwhile for us? Absolutely.
Old 05-23-2021, 04:05 PM   #17
Winnebago Owner

I have a 2014 crv awd which would be the last year available to flat tow and I absolutely love it. I would recommend E trailer. Com for all your accessory to tow your Honda
Dibbsvtx1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2021, 04:21 PM   #18
Winnebago Owner

If you prefer to tow your vehicle, consider an aluminum folding dolly such as towbetterdolly.com. If I were to dolly tow, I would consider something that doesn't take up a lot of room while camping.
DGundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2021, 04:23 PM   #19
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by dandr614 View Post
I am looking specifically for any feedback on the RVi system if anyone has any information or feedback they would be willing to provide.
I have a 2009 CRV also. I installed the Roadmaster tow bar and baseplate was not tough. I have the RVi 1 have been using it for 4 years with no problem. I am full-time so gets a lot of use. Good luck
Brooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2021, 04:27 PM   #20
Winnebago Owner

Make sure you follow the manufacturer process with setting up the transmission for 4 wheels down before you take off. Also very easy
Brooks is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
toad