Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Towing, Hitching and Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 05-12-2021, 11:20 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Hitch extension

I have towed a 17' open trailer 4300# loaded (see attached) for a couple of years (to the race track where turning space is ample). But recently on vacation to national parks, I got into some tight spots and quickly realized I cannot make a full lock turn (going forward) without the trailer & RV bumper coming together. So a hitch extension is needed.

I see a 12" extension is available but I'm wondering 2 things: 1) Is 12" the maximum off the shelf length and 2) does anyone have an opinion or experience with similar equipment ( Sunstar 30 T and a 3' trailer tongue) and if 12" would give me clearance?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	hitch extension.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	83.8 KB
ID:	178825   Click image for larger version

Name:	Big_Tex_60CH_83_x_16_Economy_Tandem_Axle_Car_Hauler_yi9OZk.png
Views:	51
Size:	159.7 KB
ID:	178826  

Old 05-13-2021, 08:19 AM   #2
Winnie-Wise

A hitch extender can reduce the tongue weight capacity by up to 50%. For that reason, the length that use can be very critical. Obviously, you should use the shortest length possible and refrain from using any extender if you are near tongue weight capacity. You might consider buying the extension and only useing it in tight situations at slow speeds. I relize that could be a hassle, but better safe than sorry.
Mtn Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2021, 12:31 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

OK, Thanks. Not sure how I'd calculate the new allowable load. My first guess it's overstressing the hitch frame and not the RV frame.
Old 05-17-2021, 01:45 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

You might want to check with a local trailer shop (one that does mods and fabrications) and see if they can extend the tongue of your trailer. It may not be too expensive. That way your hitch point (ball) will still be located at your hitch, eliminating the additional leverage that would be exerted by a simple hitch extension.
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2021, 11:49 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Yes Bob, that’s a good idea in general. I thought about that but it would mess up my trailer weight & balance & tie downs for both my track car & Mini. So my thot now is to have a welding shop trim off the front corners of the trailer. Probably about the same cost as a tongue extension, but simpler for me. Very little change to weight, space etc.
Old 05-21-2021, 01:20 PM   #6
Winnie-Wise

The receiver that is rated for 5000 lbs without an extension may be only able to handle 2500 lbs with an extension. Extensions are available that are as long as 42 inches and the longer ones usually have special chains to make the overall tow connection stronger.

Check with the people at etrailer.com or Reese or similar places and not trust advice from the sales person at Harbor Freight or an Amazon seller. Torklift sells the Superhitch that can handle a far greater trailer weight and compensate for the use of an extender.
Elkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2021, 02:44 PM   #7
Living The Dream

Per the etrailer website:

“Expert Reply:
The use of a hitch extender reduces the tongue weight capacity of the trailer hitch by 50 percent. So if the trailer hitch is rated for 1,000 pounds tongue weight it would be reduced to just 500 pounds tongue weight capacity when using an extension. It doesn't reduce the gross trailer weight capacity, only the tongue weight. Some extenders also have the additional restriction of flat towing only (towing a vehicle with all 4 wheels down) and cannot be used with trailers.”
SeeTheUSA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2021, 08:19 PM   #8
Winnie-Wise

In order for my trailer hitch to be level I needed a 6" drop ball carrier, and the distance from the pin to the center of the ball was 8". That combination of drop + extension is too much given the 500# tongue weight limit, and was enough for me to have a new tube welded to the bottom of the existing receiver tube, to reduce the drop to 4". I also had gussets welded into the corner of the flanges on both sides to reinforce the hitch, and I attached a hitch ring to the bumper that I connect the trailer brake disconnect to, so that it's not connected to the hitch itself.

tl;dr: Really make sure you fully understand all the ramifications of extending the trailer hitch length and/or drop.