Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Heating, Cooling and Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 05-06-2023, 04:57 PM   #1
Site Team

I almost blew-up the Eagle5

Hi Gang,
In a recent posting, I describe a situation wherein I almost blew-up the Eagle5:
Suburban Gas Range Accidentally Turned-on
Since then, I have been re-thinking and reviewing the safe operation of the propane appliances on-board the Eagle5. The water heater, the refrigerator, and the cabin heat all vent to the outside, but not so with the propane range. The Liquid Petroleum Detector saved the day for me, I and feel the video below describing the maintenance of an LP Detector is worthwhile for all to watch.
Thanks, Eagle5
Old 05-06-2023, 07:27 PM   #2
Site Team

Thanks, Eagle5! Good advice!
macnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2023, 09:19 PM   #3
Site Team

Thank you Al & Deb,
What I didn't mention is that I had a 120 VAC heater activated, with a low thermostat setting. Should there have been a spark from that heater cycling-on, that really might have taken us all out, as the Eagle5 was parked right next to our beach cabin where we were staying.
My Vadiff Lock modification (at just $17) will keep my stove from being accidentally bumped-on. It is the cheapest life insurance I have ever purchased.
Eagle5
Old 05-15-2023, 04:01 PM   #4
2002 Journey WPK36GD

This is an interesting article - especially as a sailboater who has lost friends due to propane explosions - and propane is taken to lightly. The propane sensors many times are out of date, as my RV sensor was. So thanks for reminding me.

As I mentioned, I have had several sailboats with propane and all those were equipped with propane cutoff switches. This can take the form of an actual mechanical valve or an electro-mechanical valve. In my estimation, the electro-mechanical valve is more convienient as the switch can b mounted right next to the range. Here is block diagram of the setup: https://www.westmarine.com/west-advi...allations.html.

Here is the actual device to do this: https://www.fisheriessupply.com/trid...noid-valve-kit
CharlesMoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2023, 06:53 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

Thing is it is called an LP detector, but it is actually a combustible gas detector. Even a flatulent dog sleeping nearby can trigger an alarm. Some aerosals have a propellant that will trigger the alarm.

Like he said, don't become complacent about hearing the alarm by assuming it was one of the above reasons. Get everyone out, and shut off your LP tanks. Then find out why it sounded.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA. "We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution." Abraham Lincoln
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote