Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNIEOWNERS COMMUNITY FORUMS > Winnebago General Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 07-23-2023, 07:58 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Vin pulls up wrong motorhome

I recently purchased a 2011 winnebago Vista 36D. However, when I do a Vin search on the internet it comes up as a 2011 DAEMON Challenger. It has the correct sucession of owners, but totally different model motorhome. I was wondering if this happens because the Vin is attached to the chassis. The dmv didn't have any issues with the title although I bought it in the same state. Is this something I should be concerned about?
Dallasrules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2023, 08:21 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

As I understand it, the vin is for a specific chassis and should not tie to something different!
But rather than think somebody has set a different RV on your chassis, I suspect something more common like a typo!
Where that type started is a deep, deep question as there are likely hundreds of times it may have gotten started. Or maybe just the last time?

Getting good solid work is getting hard to find, even among the clerk/typist/input folks, so they may have handed you a problem. I WOULD want to sort it out now before I'm trying to sell it someday without a proper title?
Any chance of kicking it back to the seller who you got it from?
Check for typos but where I come from, they need to give you a good title for what you have!
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2023, 09:40 PM   #3
Site Team

Seems odd. When I do a VIN check on my motorhome the only information that is returned is the Ford F53 chassis info. Not the motorhome on top of the chassis.
Old 07-24-2023, 06:54 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

VIN

Just a long shot but look carefully at your VIN. Sometimes an S can be entered as a 5 or visa versa. I had it happen on a motorcycle and DMV caught it. Worth a look. Travato John
TravatoJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2023, 07:44 AM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morich View Post
As I understand it, the vin is for a specific chassis and should not tie to something different!
But rather than think somebody has set a different RV on your chassis, I suspect something more common like a typo!
Where that type started is a deep, deep question as there are likely hundreds of times it may have gotten started. Or maybe just the last time?

Getting good solid work is getting hard to find, even among the clerk/typist/input folks, so they may have handed you a problem. I WOULD want to sort it out now before I'm trying to sell it someday without a proper title?
Any chance of kicking it back to the seller who you got it from?
Check for typos but where I come from, they need to give you a good title for what you have!
The title is correct. It contains the correct make and model. It's just the internet that is wrong. I checked a few different vin lookup sites and they all pull up the same incorrect info. I just thought it was a bit weird. I also checked the vin carefully on the title, but maybe it is worth actually comparing it to the vin on the motorhome which I have not done.
Dallasrules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2023, 08:33 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

If I were doing it, I would assume I put a typo in!
Just because that is the way I type!
I did reasonably well in two years of class but then went four years typing code, hunt and peck, and never recovered!
Old 07-24-2023, 09:57 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

Winnebago has 2 VIN numbers, one for the chassis, another for the completed MH. The only one of concern is the VIN for the completed MH, which is assigned by W.
The title is created when the first buyer goes to their states DMV and applies for a title and license plate.
It's not well known, in most states holding a title is not proof of ownership, the bill-of-sale is the legal proof. So what is on your copy of the bill of sale?
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA. "We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution." Abraham Lincoln
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2023, 10:07 PM   #8
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
Winnebago has 2 VIN numbers, one for the chassis, another for the completed MH.
Ah, Ray? I have only one VIN for my motorhome.

I do have a serial number, but it’s registered with Winnebago not with the state or anyone else.
Old 07-25-2023, 08:51 AM   #9
Winnebago Master

This discussion seems to be a bit of shipwreck from the start as the VIN that I know and research, should NOT say anything about the RV setting on the chassis???
From there, the different states treat ownership in different ways, so whether title or bill of sale matters is likely to be a state issue.
My thought is that there is a VIN number assigned as the chassis is built and then a serial number which is assigned by Winnebago as they build that portion.
That is often where we get into mass confusion when we need to know the serial number to look for the correct drawings but get the VIN number instead!
Vin for chassis, serial number for RV?

But if the OP is going by some of the websites we often find? That is a whole different pile of info that is often wrong! And if they find the same garbage on several sites, that often shows that there are many sites which simply copy the wrong info and pass it along as their really important info!

If you believe the first lie, you are more likely to believe the second lie and eventualy you fall in line with a bunch of lies! Not hard to spot them but they will never spot themselves!
They just stop reading the part that doesn't agree with them and their lies!

The info on the web has to be run through the same thought process as all the other info we get. If it looks and sounds really way out there, we need to do more checking from lots of different sources before we believe it or pass it on!
Old 07-25-2023, 08:29 PM   #10
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by creativepart View Post
Ah, Ray? I have only one VIN for my motorhome.

I do have a serial number, but it’s registered with Winnebago not with the state or anyone else.
Good catch. I knew it was the W serial #, just spaced it out. It is sometimes mistaken for a VIN, and used as such when searching for things.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA. "We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution." Abraham Lincoln
Old 07-30-2023, 05:00 PM   #11
Winnebago Camper

Let’s think this out better. Winnebago builds a Motorhome in 2023. It places it on a Chassis built in 2021. Is it a 2023 Model or 2021? The VIN is for the 2023 not the Chassis 2021 VIN. I found this out when purchasing a 2020 Vista here in Nevada. If you used the Chassis VIN your brand new 2023 Motorhome would be 2 Years old when you purchased it new from the Dealer in 2023. Makes a difference when you go to sell it.
dphorton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2023, 02:47 PM   #12
Winnebago Master

This is where we get confused:

https://www.campingcomfortably.com/h...r-a-motorhome/

https://www.winnebago.com/owners/own...entify-your-rv
Old 07-31-2023, 03:06 PM   #13
Winnebago Camper

When I purchased the my Vista they used the Motorhome VIN on my Title. That says it is a 2020 Model not the Chassis VIN. The Finance Manager explained why when I he had us sign the Title Paperwork. That is all I know plus what I posted earlier. Have a great day. It cooled off from 112 yesterday to 106 today here in Las Vegas Nevada.
Old 07-31-2023, 08:19 PM   #14
Winnebago Master

More information from Spartan chassis about VIN:
Quote: "

VEHICLE IDENTIFICATION NUMBER
Every chassis manufactured by Spartan is assigned a unique VIN (Vehicle Identification Number) that is used as
both the chassis and vehicle serial number. It is displayed, at minimum, on a certification label provided by the
final manufacturer. Refer to the Final Stage Manufacturer’s literature for certification label location and
additional VIN information.
When filing a warranty claim, submitting a complaint, or general inquiries, you will need to provide the last
eight digits of the vehicle identification number (VIN) as stated on the label."

source: Motorhome and Chassis Operation and Maintenance Manual pg 14.
Old 07-31-2023, 09:07 PM   #15
Winnebago Camper

No argument from me about having to used the VIN for the Chassis to order parts for the Chassis but the Title should use the Motorhome ViN. That’s my point. You know that the Chassis are bought Years before a Motorhome is placed on the Chassis.
Old 08-01-2023, 08:39 AM   #16
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by dphorton View Post
Let’s think this out better. Winnebago builds a Motorhome in 2023. It places it on a Chassis built in 2021. Is it a 2023 Model or 2021?
I Texas, my title for the 2016 F53 Chassis on my 2017 Adventurer has the VIN from the Chassis but the title shows the Model year from the motorhome.

I have always seen this issue addressed this way. And, when the subject comes up on other forums this seems to be the common method of titling. Otherwise, it's far too confusing for everyone.

I can't state flatly that EVERY DMV does things the same way, but I do feel confident that this is standard proceedure.

Tags
motorhome