Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNIEOWNERS COMMUNITY FORUMS > Winnebago General Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 03-08-2023, 05:13 PM   #1
Outer Banks of NC

Roadside Assistance Towing insurance

We are weekend warriers with ours but I still want to get a good towning insurance.
Someone mentioned goodsam someone else said no.
What is a good towing insurance that will tow your RV where you want it towed and get someone out there to you asap. .
You all have experence in this we are just starting.
Thanks.
Old 03-08-2023, 09:10 PM   #2
Site Team

Hi Liveaboard74,
I have AAA RV Premier. It includes 200 miles of towing. I believe AAA has better service than Good Sam.
Eagle5
Old 03-09-2023, 03:02 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

This is one of the items that brings out the a lot of opinions, because eveyone feels theirs is the best. No problem with that as I feel mine althought may not be the best it has served me well over the years.

A few things i feel are important to look at. How many miles will they tow? Will they tow to the first repair spot or to authorized repair? Each company has their own set of rules they follow.

There are only so many tow companies in any given area and they all tow for all the different plans out there. It may be to your benefit to talk to a tow driver and ask them as they are the ones who will respond to the need.

Now I have Good Sam Roadside Assistance and have for more years than I want to think about. I have used them a few times over the years mainly for tire changing. I feel they offer the best plan that fits my needs, I also have AAA. Each plan will cancel you if used to often just another thing to think about.

Good Luck
be happy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2023, 11:21 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

It is like asking what is a good state to live in with RV.

Nothing wrong with Good Sams. All will do what they say and people look for different things, but bash what they have when they didn't read or understand the fine print.

In my opinion Coachnet is the best. I had for 2 years but never used. I am Good Sams Member but do not have their Roadside. Roadside is included with my Progressive Insurance policy and if I remember correctly they have no limit on on miles to tow to the nearest authorized repair facility. I believe you can select where to tow within 25 or 50 miles of home?

If you expect immediate ASAP direct attention, that is crapshoot because it just depends on where you are on who is nearby. Whomever comes likely contracts with all of them, but Progressive will take care of you because they are true Insurance company.
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3; Roadmaster Nighthawk 676; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; Southwire EMS 44270/34951 Display 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2023, 01:08 PM   #5
Winnebago Watcher

I have Good Sam. Recently had to have my Class A Diesel pusher towed. I was satisfied with Good Sam. It took a bit of time to find a tow company with the equipment and ability to tow a Class A Diesel pusher. Good Sam did want to tow it to the closest shop that could do the work, but also the shop had to be willing to accept the unit. Within reason, I think they would have worked with me if I was passionate about using another shop.
Tom Holman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2023, 01:17 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

I will add a downside with the Insurance company is that it will show as a claim. I think you are allowed 3 a year or some period as it may not be a full year?
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3; Roadmaster Nighthawk 676; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; Southwire EMS 44270/34951 Display 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
Old 03-09-2023, 05:29 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

I'm a life member of Good Sam and have had their ERS since 2008. I am quite satisfied with their service. I've called for ERS about 5 times and they have never hesitated about providing service or paying later for claims I've submitted after-the-fact.
One thing to keep in mind with all ERS companies is, their operators are only allowed to read the questions and provide answers they see on their computer screens.
If you aren't happy with the operators answers, request to speak to a supervisor. Supervisors have a lot of latitude within which to operate and really know their job.
I've read the same opinion about Coach-Net and wholesalewarranties.com ( they are an independent agency who matches up your needs with the best ERS company)
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA. "We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution." Abraham Lincoln
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2023, 05:52 PM   #8
Outer Banks of NC

Thanks guys. My closest winny dealer is Sawyers in VA Beach. Moving from a slide in camper to the 35c to play where we have been playing at Hatteras NC 154 miles from Va Beach if something happens. Bran new motor in it was the biggest reason I bought it just over hundred grand on the transmission so know something could go in a second. Added a trans and temp gauge to watch it but thats my main concern . . Most of the plans I looked at you have to have the best to get over 100 miles. Couple of dollars more worth it to get the best and you guys know the games on RV so wanted to ask. I'm guessing its like Trucking everyone is on network they all call who ever is on that rotation in that area if their listed. . I'm new so I know its a loaded questions play on a lot different forums with the hobbies I have but just didn't want to jump on the wrong one that could care less about you after you pay.
Pm'ed one gentelmen I talked back and forth on one of the threads he mentioned AAA.

I'm on my second slide in camper pull a boat and race trailers with it have never once paid for a camping spot. Been a trucker all my life , master at finding places to park new GF said things will change her and her X used to RV but not boomdock like I have so I'm bran new to this paying for places. . Moved up for more space the towing and I'm guessing the good sams is the best for getting discounts but will check my area see the places we are going to want to stay see what they accept.
Ours is not for long distance travel. Within 175 miles will be 99% of what we use it for. Have a 24 foot two toy hauler for a motorcycle and a can am side by side not sure i want to throw that behind a 23 year old transmission and put it in the mountains at 350 miles and up in western NC. . Put the tags on it yesterday had it at the house for 3 weeks been adding all the mods having fun with our new toy.
Old 03-10-2023, 05:14 PM   #9
Winnebago Camper

I had AAA coverage for a very long time and the one time I needed them they disappointed me. They couldn't find service in Las Vegas! I went with FMCA's program FMCA Roadside Recue, $159. Haven't needed them yet but I received a lot of good feedback. My second choice would be Coachnet.
dlenio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2023, 03:21 AM   #10
Outer Banks of NC

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlenio View Post
I had AAA coverage for a very long time and the one time I needed them they disappointed me. They couldn't find service in Las Vegas! I went with FMCA's program FMCA Roadside Recue, $159. Haven't needed them yet but I received a lot of good feedback. My second choice would be Coachnet.
Makes you wonder a city that big what in the world is going on. LOL
Thank you for the advice. I'm going to dig down a little deeper before I buy ask them to look up who they use in the Hatteras area and our route there and back. One thing I love about NC HP. They have to sit behind you till your unit is moved and out the way. Had a set of brakes lock up on a truck I drove for United road. Car hauler. HP called a country he sat behind me for 6 hours till they got someone there to fix the issue and I got rolling.
Thanks for the post guys. Going to look into this a little more before I buy make sure they have someone on file for the area we are going to be .
Old 03-11-2023, 02:08 PM   #11
Proud “No Intent” Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by liveaboard74 View Post
We are weekend warriers with ours but I still want to get a good towning insurance.
Someone mentioned goodsam someone else said no.
What is a good towing insurance that will tow your RV where you want it towed and get someone out there to you asap. .
You all have experence in this we are just starting.
Thanks.
And that is exactly what I would expect to hear. You were going to get people who have had good experiences with Good Sam and people who have had bad experiences and they seem to cancel each other out.

We have AAA premier never had to use it for the RV but I used it many times for our cards and it has saved our butts a few times. But they are not perfect either.
Old 03-11-2023, 07:13 PM   #12
Outer Banks of NC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyatt View Post
And that is exactly what I would expect to hear. You were going to get people who have had good experiences with Good Sam and people who have had bad experiences and they seem to cancel each other out.

We have AAA premier never had to use it for the RV but I used it many times for our cards and it has saved our butts a few times. But they are not perfect either.
You mean Cars?
I know. its like Sea tow and Boats US. Both tow boats only one even close to Orgean Inlet and Hatteras. Other has to travel to get to its members. Have several more weeks before we make or first Hatteras adventure. I'll do some calling twist their minds some on the area. I know all the area anyway so if they use someone I'll know them.
Old 03-12-2023, 06:33 AM   #13
Winnie-Wise

Many of these "providers" use a company called "Safe Ride" (FMCA. Escapees, and maybe others) as their towing insurance/ dispatch contractor.

During a recent major engine failure on our Adventurer 38Q we were left stranded on the side of the road in north Georgia north of Atlanta for 32 hours. It was a Sunday and they said they could not find anyone willing to tow our rig in Alabama, Georgia and SC when we needed the tow. When they did find a company that said it would be the next day, and then they would only tow to a shop they "thought" could handle our engine problem we gave up and called our own tow company.

We gave up on them successfully getting a tow truck dispatched and arranged for it ourselves almost immediately. Ultimately we had to have our rig towed several hundred miles to a shop in Montgomery AL to have our rig properly fixed.

In spite of the failure on getting a tow truck dispatched in a reasonable time, they were very good about settling our claim and paid for the expensive tow. Because of that I may stay with Safe Ride but will be wary of their timely dispatch capabilities.
Americanrascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2023, 05:49 PM   #14
Outer Banks of NC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Americanrascal View Post
Many of these "providers" use a company called "Safe Ride" (FMCA. Escapees, and maybe others) as their towing insurance/ dispatch contractor.

During a recent major engine failure on our Adventurer 38Q we were left stranded on the side of the road in north Georgia north of Atlanta for 32 hours. It was a Sunday and they said they could not find anyone willing to tow our rig in Alabama, Georgia and SC when we needed the tow. When they did find a company that said it would be the next day, and then they would only tow to a shop they "thought" could handle our engine problem we gave up and called our own tow company.

We gave up on them successfully getting a tow truck dispatched and arranged for it ourselves almost immediately. Ultimately we had to have our rig towed several hundred miles to a shop in Montgomery AL to have our rig properly fixed.

In spite of the failure on getting a tow truck dispatched in a reasonable time, they were very good about settling our claim and paid for the expensive tow. Because of that I may stay with Safe Ride but will be wary of their timely dispatch capabilities.
Any company not being able to find a wrecker to tow in Vages or Atlanta do their calling at the time of the issue. They are not on any network.
Really suprises me. I've been a truck driving for ever. Last 15 years with the help of computers if you brake down on the side of the road within 3 hours a wrecker will be hooking to you. Pulling your drive line, and towing you to where your company wants it towed.
This don't have to do with towing but everyones truck now is online. If I have a code pop up I don't slow down grab the phone call our brake down 24/7 they answer they can look at the code connect to the truck while i am on the phone with them.
If one of the tires drops air 15 pounds they are on the phone with me telling me to look at the tire monitor on my dash. I must not of caught it. LOL
Still have a couple of weeks to do some calling find out about good sam and others but is being apart of the towing with Good Sam also count as your membership. Hoping I get a few minuets to slow down tomorrow make a few phone calls. I"ll twist their ears, and minds see if I can find out if they do use any type of network. Sounds like you two that had that much issue the answer is no. Long as they will send me a e mail stating they will repay all expences I can call and get someone on the way. Started driving legal in 1979 long before cell phones were heard of I can make calls get myself out a jam, just want to know my insurence will repay me . I'm ok with that.
Old 03-13-2023, 06:29 PM   #15
Outer Banks of NC

Good sam.

Platinum+ RV Roadside Assistance
pdf file for Platinum+ RV Roadside Assistance Plan details
Protect your vehicles and get preferential towing options in the event of a breakdown—up to 100 miles, anywhere you choose.

$219.951 /yr

If you guys or girls know differently please let me know. I"m just reading the fine print and talking with these people. Girl said more than likly anything over 100 miles would not be covered.

Off their web sight.
Old 03-13-2023, 07:01 PM   #16
Outer Banks of NC

Went ahead and took AAA. According to the girl on Premier RV you name where you want to be towed up to 200 miles. That would get me to a winnie dealership. Little higher at 145. Did ask about dispatch, she mentioned we were allowed to call and pay then they would repay that bill if they could not get someone to us in a reasonable amount of time.
Just a little scared of the 100 mile limit on Good Sam.
Had tags on it as of last week, if I get off in time putting tires on it the first day. Wanted to be covered.
Thank you for the answeres and again if your ever over this way on a weekend with a Tahoe set up for the beach and this winny pulling the boat we more than likely going to be over there several times a month.
Old 03-13-2023, 07:27 PM   #17
Winnebago Master

I like a man that does his homework. I am a Good Sams member and you made me remember why I didn't sign up for their Roadside.

Our RV is insured with Progressive and basically we get the Roadside assistance for free or dirt cheap, maybe like $14/year?

This is their policy:

We’ll tow you to the nearest repair facility if your motorhome or travel trailer is disabled within 100 feet of a road or highway. Our roadside assistance covers fuel delivery, mechanical breakdowns, flat tires, and dead battery replacement.

I confirmed with them, there is NO LIMIT on miles. You do confirmed the repair facility will repair so the nearest means one that will repair. If you close to home, you can pick the facility. Flat tires are covered but NOT the Tire. So I bought a spare Goodyear G670 so if a blow out, they come out and put my new tire on with no charge, otherwise you have to buy a tire and no telling if the tow company has the tire that you need or want.

So if you ever wonder why I always park 33 yards from the road or less
Old 03-14-2023, 03:53 AM   #18
Outer Banks of NC

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkoldman View Post
I like a man that does his homework. I am a Good Sams member and you made me remember why I didn't sign up for their Roadside.

Our RV is insured with Progressive and basically we get the Roadside assistance for free or dirt cheap, maybe like $14/year?

This is their policy:

We’ll tow you to the nearest repair facility if your motorhome or travel trailer is disabled within 100 feet of a road or highway. Our roadside assistance covers fuel delivery, mechanical breakdowns, flat tires, and dead battery replacement.

I confirmed with them, there is NO LIMIT on miles. You do confirmed the repair facility will repair so the nearest means one that will repair. If you close to home, you can pick the facility. Flat tires are covered but NOT the Tire. So I bought a spare Goodyear G670 so if a blow out, they come out and put my new tire on with no charge, otherwise you have to buy a tire and no telling if the tow company has the tire that you need or want.

So if you ever wonder why I always park 33 yards from the road or less

Got to red that fine print. LOL
Its funny I've traveled all my life, but lord knows I've loved it. Dreamed of doing what you all do for fun but work kept me a weekend warrier, last job on three weeks off a week so I really turned up the fun and traveling. When you work a 9 to 5 you dream of that traveling when you retire. When you have 8 million miles under your belt in traveling at work when you retire you want to stay home, local enjoy the hobbies you have. Missed a lot along the way but like most of you that have motorhomes or pull behinds that travel with your trucks, it don't matter what size they all can brake down. We just keep our fingers crossed on that. Had a injector pump go out pulling my 48 foot race trailer with my 2000 dodge in Greensboro NC coming back from Bristal TN yall think a motor home is hard to find a place for try looking for a spot for a 48 foot trailer. I limped it into the dealership got it running that much no insurence lesson learned. Took three weeks for them to get a new pump get it on. Knock on wood thats the only brake down I ever had other than couple of tires. Had a generator box and the honda 3000 on the front of the truck. Just have the honda on it now, bought a air compressor to go in one of the compartments of the winnie. Country boys will survive. LOL
I'm on the Emergency road side forum on e bay see people using it all the time just never in my area. Beach is high in the summer months I pay for the boat ramp fee at Teach's marina in Hatteras they let me stay across the street in their over flow parking lot with the 31 Fountain and slide in.
Something else I do for over night parking is find a place big enough we all got to eat, go in ask the owner or manager if we come in and eat can we pull to the side of the lot camp out for the night, I explain the honda 3000eu they will never hear. Built a custom box for it. 99% of the time they don't even care, little kindness with respect wins hands down. Place called Tail of the Whale in Manto was my home away from home when we put the boat in at Oregan Inlet. Removed the dinnet added a electric love seat TV on the wall make it a adventure not a road trip. I"m old enough to remember TV trays. LOL
Only advice I would ever give on a truck for a 5th wheel or a tag is get a dully. If you have a rear flat, you can still slow down and ride. You pop a tire with a 4 wheel truck you ain't going anywhere.
Something to guys and yes if you let the air out a little it smooths out the ride. It also eats your tires out quickly. Keep those tires at what ever the PSI on the side of the tire says max. Already have the 6 tire monitor in place this 1650 dollars for new tires will wake you up.

I"ve added few lights on the rear for safety, included a few pictures of the toys now, and one of the Sunset across the river so I'm there with the peace and quite you guys love. When traveling when I came home I wanted what you guys look for traveling. Funny ain't it.

Thank you again for the replies and I'll be posting some simple mods and safety things I'm doing to "Beach Front condo" our 35c.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	130288150_168167691688844_5027676470735684005_n.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	178.3 KB
ID:	185381   Click image for larger version

Name:	004.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	189.6 KB
ID:	185382  

Click image for larger version

Name:	20200113_132933.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	525.3 KB
ID:	185383   Click image for larger version

Name:	159619152_136222095076568_665813104277793282_n (2).jpg
Views:	21
Size:	294.7 KB
ID:	185384  

Old 03-15-2023, 05:27 PM   #19
Boondocker

If you already have AAA Membership you can add Premier RV coverage for a modest fee.
Four Seasons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2023, 05:51 PM   #20
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by liveaboard74 View Post

Got to red that fine print. LOL
Its funny I've traveled all my life, but lord knows I've loved it. Dreamed of doing what you all do for fun but work kept me a weekend warrier, last job on three weeks off a week so I really turned up the fun and traveling. When you work a 9 to 5 you dream of that traveling when you retire. When you have 8 million miles under your belt in traveling at work when you retire you want to stay home, local enjoy the hobbies you have. Missed a lot along the way but like most of you that have motorhomes or pull behinds that travel with your trucks, it don't matter what size they all can brake down. We just keep our fingers crossed on that. Had a injector pump go out pulling my 48 foot race trailer with my 2000 dodge in Greensboro NC coming back from Bristal TN yall think a motor home is hard to find a place for try looking for a spot for a 48 foot trailer. I limped it into the dealership got it running that much no insurence lesson learned. Took three weeks for them to get a new pump get it on. Knock on wood thats the only brake down I ever had other than couple of tires. Had a generator box and the honda 3000 on the front of the truck. Just have the honda on it now, bought a air compressor to go in one of the compartments of the winnie. Country boys will survive. LOL
I'm on the Emergency road side forum on e bay see people using it all the time just never in my area. Beach is high in the summer months I pay for the boat ramp fee at Teach's marina in Hatteras they let me stay across the street in their over flow parking lot with the 31 Fountain and slide in.
Something else I do for over night parking is find a place big enough we all got to eat, go in ask the owner or manager if we come in and eat can we pull to the side of the lot camp out for the night, I explain the honda 3000eu they will never hear. Built a custom box for it. 99% of the time they don't even care, little kindness with respect wins hands down. Place called Tail of the Whale in Manto was my home away from home when we put the boat in at Oregan Inlet. Removed the dinnet added a electric love seat TV on the wall make it a adventure not a road trip. I"m old enough to remember TV trays. LOL
Only advice I would ever give on a truck for a 5th wheel or a tag is get a dully. If you have a rear flat, you can still slow down and ride. You pop a tire with a 4 wheel truck you ain't going anywhere.
Something to guys and yes if you let the air out a little it smooths out the ride. It also eats your tires out quickly. Keep those tires at what ever the PSI on the side of the tire says max. Already have the 6 tire monitor in place this 1650 dollars for new tires will wake you up.

I"ve added few lights on the rear for safety, included a few pictures of the toys now, and one of the Sunset across the river so I'm there with the peace and quite you guys love. When traveling when I came home I wanted what you guys look for traveling. Funny ain't it.

Thank you again for the replies and I'll be posting some simple mods and safety things I'm doing to "Beach Front condo" our 35c.
Sounds like and looks like you have done well in life. At times it may seem greener on the other side watching TV and how others talk, but at the end of day, the only thing really important is family and friends. I remember having a blowout in 1976 Sunbird somewhere in Missouri thousands of miles from anyone I knew. So I figure I would just put on the spare, but there was no jack . No one stopped. I am not sure I wanted someone to stop after a few hours as it was about to get dark. I drove on the flat / wheel to the next exit ( no cell phones) Eventually I got some help with someone with a jack and lug wrench and I was on my way. No Roadside Assistance and no problem. I may have got out faster anyway?

Tags
towing, tow