Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNIEOWNERS COMMUNITY FORUMS > Winnebago General Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 09-09-2020, 06:26 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Refrigerator issue

Hi all
I bought a 2019 Winnie Minnie 22r this spring. Recently the refrigerator only works properly on propane. When plugged in it works but doesn't get very cold. I haven't put a thermometer in but the refrigerator section actually feels warm and the freezer while def cold is not cold enough to freeze ice cubes. On propane it works perfectly.

I'm perplexed. Any ideas out there?

Karin from CT
Karinking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2020, 06:48 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

One point might be the timing as the electrical cooling takes much longer than the propane, so be sure to wait long enough to verify there is a real problem. They work pretty much the same once we get past how long it takes for the electrical to heat the coils before starting to heat the cooling part. Think how long it takes an electric stove burner to heat compared to gas where the fire is there instantly?
See if that might help.
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2020, 07:00 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Thanks for the thoughtful reply and i will try letting it run longer. The first time I noticed it I had come home and it was late so I plugged in and left it for over a day before I cleaned it. At that point the fridge was warm and the ice cube trays in the freezer were water. I cleaned and left it off. I was using it a few days later so I plugged in for a few hours to cool down the fridge but it never cooked properly. I switched to propane hoping it would work and it did. I used propane for that trip. Once home I shut it off and cleaned. Later I plugged in for about 3 hours to see if it worked. Was as I described in my initial post. Definitely working but not cooling as it should. I will try again for longer. Any suggestion on how long I should expect it to take. I could also used propane to cool it then switch to electric to see if it maintains the temp.
Old 09-09-2020, 07:44 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

We live in a pretty hot area and that does have some effect on how quick it cools but we normally go for turning it on the night before we plan to load and leave in the morning and that gets it good to keep ice from melting , etc.
We like to take a bucket of ice from the home frig with ice maker to avoid filling and dumping ice trays. We get spoiled really easy!

One semi-easy thing to do that might help and rarely hurts if you have the equipment on hand is to vac or blow out any collected dirt or debris that is in the back of the frig and especially look at anything that might be up in the shielded upright part on back. The part that goes up from the flame needs to be open for good air circulation, so you want to keep anything like wasp nests, etc. out of that.
Not thinking that would be the main cause but just something to look at --- just in case there's a bird nest in there!
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2020, 03:31 AM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Thanks for your thoughts. Very helpful.

Tags
refrigerator