Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNIEOWNERS COMMUNITY FORUMS > Winnebago General Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 08-30-2020, 01:28 PM   #1
Winnie-Wise

The 'take no prisoners' T.T. appointed kitchen...

...when my wife and I take to the road in our Winnie 2018 1706FB, I give my wife the total Queen of Sheba, trappings. She does nothing of a domestic nature, on campsite, but have fun...feel like a Camping Queen, as well as sleep in one, lol...and this is my way of thanking her for all the things she does every day...24/7, and bells aren't clanking, or trumpets sounding. She is a doll..

anyways, being that cooking (and she thinks I am a great cook...lol), partly I have a suspicion, why, lolollolol...but...yeah..I can cook, I was a Mess Cook, when stationed on the Golan Heights, in the early 70's...so...it stays with ya...

...I'm babbling...so...to the point of the post...there are four top-o-stove appliances that I can't leave the driveway without, for it gives me total freedom to go Surf, or Turf, Quiche's, and be able to braise, fry, moist cook dry heat cook...and what gets to the Dinette, with a bottle of Cato Negro Red, usually puts a smile on her face...and I er...usually er...get lucky....yeah..folks...I mean later at (cough, cough...) er cards...really!

Those four 'don't-leave-the-driveway-without-them' are

1. Duo model, Instal-Pot
2. George Foreman EVOLVE Grill System
3. Stove Top Convector Oven (cooks to 500 F. if needed)
4. Black 'n Decker 2 lb Bread Maker

With the above four, including the O.E. M. oven, I can cover every method of cooking, and more importantly (to me...) is that not ONE of the above appliances, will allow any type of splatter, grease, butter, or sauce, to ever escape its cooking area, and contaminate the kitchen counters and walls surrounding such. All of the aforementioned as well, can be taken outside easily, for cleaning, later in a warm water filled sink pan.

The George Foreman can cook to perfection, and quickly steak, (with searing), chops, lamb and pork, K-bob's, ground hamburger hamburgs...and all..(very important..) with no spattering of juices and fats. They collect in the collection tub..and you heave that into the camp fire...done!

Of course I do B.B.Q on our gas grill...but there are times, and foods, you do not want a smoky taste..

For Prime Rib standing roast, with Idaho baked potatoes,I use the table top Convector Oven, for that...for roasting a whole chicken, etc...and again...with the top on...the fan on...1/3 the cooking time of a normal oven, and no splatter transferred to the area where it sits.

We love fresh bread...so I set it up on the timer, to bake us a great Deli style RYE with Caraway Seeds, and it starts 4 hours and 20 minutes before we slip our feet onto the floor...and usually, we get awakened by the smell of freshly baked bread. (KILLER in late Fall camping!!!!!!) For 40 minutes until done Baby Back Ribs...I use the Insta Pot, on high pressure for 24 minutes, and then another 20 on the grill outside. Mmmmm...GOOD!'

For Quiches, I make a killer shredded cheddar and broccoli, I use Miss Winnie's oven..and like to tease Honey Bun, outta bed, with the smell of that almost finishing for our Sunday breakfast.

So...I insist we eat well, when camping, for when camping, to us...it is always seen as a vacation away from home...and all the responsibility OF home...

That's my Take No Prisoners Camping Kitchen fit out... I'm sure y'all have yours...

Happy eatin...and great days and nights, camping...forum buddies...

Sun Seeker
Sun_Seeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2020, 04:48 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

THANKS!!!!!!!! I have a George Foreman just wasting away in my kitchen.... it will now waste away in my 2306BHS! LOL
TroutBum1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2020, 09:34 AM   #3
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutBum1971 View Post
THANKS!!!!!!!! I have a George Foreman just wasting away in my kitchen.... it will now waste away in my 2306BHS! LOL
No it won't...I predict it will sit on top of your stove lid...and cook up all sorts of Carnivorous Treats...and doing it all, with no fat splattering all over your stove top...the walls near and around it...and oh...does fat splattering bacon strips just great...AND...yes...you guessed it...NO GREASE and you or your wife saying...never again...look at the mess and stink!

With my Deadly 4...I can cook anything...that would come out of my home kitchen, and done in 1/3 the time of a conventional oven...let alone, two full racks of Baby Back Ribs...from fridge-raw, to Baby Ray's Brown Sugar and Hickory 'awesome' in 44 minutes...from 'fridge, to the fingers and mouth, having had their 20 minute stint on the gas grill. You need an Insta-Pot lurking down under your Dinette seat cushions, waiting to be called out...for that...and your grill. Yep...no three hours nonsense...falling of the bone tender...and smoky delicious, in only 44 minutes...and I MEAN only 44 minutes... Love camping, and honking down well...they go hand in hand...as does Camping and a nice Irish Red brew...oh, very nice!
Old 09-02-2020, 08:02 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

You crack me up Sun Seeker, as you sound a lot like me. I am in the cook in the family and baby doll takes care of other household duties. I use my insta pot on the regular and yes, ribs from the insta pot are amazing! I need me one of those bread machines!
Old 09-02-2020, 09:46 AM   #5
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by 09busaman View Post
You crack me up Sun Seeker, as you sound a lot like me. I am in the cook in the family and baby doll takes care of other household duties. I use my insta pot on the regular and yes, ribs from the insta pot are amazing! I need me one of those bread machines!
I try to look at Life, always, through the lens of a 'smile'. I'm not a glass half full, or half empty personality...nope...I'm a guy 'full glass'! Always! Now...scratching chin..."..is that a glass of water...or a glass of beer? I guess that depends on whether I am sitting in front of a camp fire,...or not!

I store my Dynamic '4', under one of the Dinette seats...and pull any of them out, as needed. I gotta tell ya...there is NOTHING like waking up to the smell of fresh baked bread...inside the confines of a T.T....especially on a chilly mid September/all of October camping on-site morning. For us, great food adds so much to the enjoyment and memories of each camping trip. Just put all the ingredients into the baking pan, before you hit the sack...with only making sure that there is nothing in the bread recipe that could start to spoil by resting for over eight hours or so. For instance, you wouldn't use a recipe for an 8 hour delay with eggs, or soft cheese. Stuff like that. Have fun, if you should decide to grab one of my other Dynamic 4 that you don't presently own.

I set all of the above, on the closed stove-top lid, with a plastic cutting board square to stop any scratching of the feet onto the metal closing stove top folding lid.

Since owning our Duo Insta-Pot...I don't cook ribs, or Pot Roast, with anything else. I mean..amazing...24 minutes on Meat setting (high pressure) for two full racks....and then I plop them on the gas grill, and smother them each with Baby Ray's Brown Sugar and Hickory BBQ sauce, to get a good grill 'bark'...that's only around 15-20 minutes...and then placing a rack down on the table in front of us both, with a Baked Potato and all the trimmings (yum!) and including Cajun Rice. From fridge-raw, to smacking lips and sticky fingers...always no more than 44 minutes, fridge to table.

We...baby...are-------> ***CAMPING!!!!!***
Old 09-09-2020, 05:08 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Thanks for sharing Sun Seeker. I'd enjoy seeing you and yours somewhere down the road. I am curious which table top oven you have and I'm sure you have a small rice cooker. I really like cooking too and I seem better in the small galley than the DW. She has amazed me more than once, so we make a great team. I'll look into the duo model insta pot because I make some mean ribs and didn't think I could in the RV. Good advice. One more thing, Golan Heights? Good for you. I was in Egypt in the early 70's. Non military. US cargo ship. I still want to visit Israel to see where my Lord lived.
Old 09-09-2020, 07:03 PM   #7
Winnie-Wise

Being a self-taught cook from age 11, later, as a widowed single father of three, I inherited cooking duties whether I liked it or not. And I must admit, I like doing most of the cooking now.

My must have tools in our full time RV living, kitchen, 1- an Instant Pot, 2- a Ninja Foodie Grill/air fryer, 3- an induction cooktop, and 4- our convection microwave.

I expect many have similar favorite kitchen appliances for the RV, tailored to specific cooking styles. It is tough, roughing it out camping, but somehow we get by :-)
Old 09-09-2020, 07:12 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

I would be lost without our Cuisinart Grill ( GF grill upgrade) and our Instapot. Also a Tiger rice maker which I use to bake bread, steam veggies and lots og other uses
NSCRCRZY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2020, 07:25 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Sunseeker,

If by chance we ever get to camp next to you we'll come over. I'll supply all the beer.

Retired "Quiet Professional". Lifetime HSUS and ASPCA member and supporter.
71_340 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2020, 10:39 PM   #10
Winnebago Owner

👍🏻👍🏻
NSCRCRZY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2020, 12:03 AM   #11
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topsail View Post
Thanks for sharing Sun Seeker. I'd enjoy seeing you and yours somewhere down the road. I am curious which table top oven you have and I'm sure you have a small rice cooker. I really like cooking too and I seem better in the small galley than the DW. She has amazed me more than once, so we make a great team. I'll look into the duo model insta pot because I make some mean ribs and didn't think I could in the RV. Good advice. One more thing, Golan Heights? Good for you. I was in Egypt in the early 70's. Non military. US cargo ship. I still want to visit Israel to see where my Lord lived.
I have a Galloping Gourmet, Perfection-Aire model, with a circular glass body that will allow for a 12 pound turkey, or Prim Rib, etc capacity...I can cook at three levels simultaneously. It also has heating in-chamber up to 500 degrees F! So...totally whatever you can roast, grill, bake, in your home oven It sits perfectly on our stove top closed lid. I use a large ceramic spill and heat-proof tray that sits below all of my 4 'don't leave the driveway with out em'....appliances. Below that, sits a suitable size dish drying towel, all for anti scuff mark proofing. I can cook rice either in the Duo Insta-Pot, or as I normally do...I have a special for the microwave, rice cooker...that is numb-bum, fool proof. You put in two cups of Basmati Rice, pour in 3 cups of boiling water (also brought to the boil via the Microwave O.E.M.) and then place into the O.E.M Microwave on HIGH for 12 minutes. 12 minutes later..prrrrrrrrrrrrrrfect 2 cups of Basmati. I also make (we love ethnic Indian cooking) and I have twenty ways to Sunday to produce Curry...red, orange, brown, light cream...we love Curry and spicy do-ups! Thank GOD..I married a gal, that doesn't just have a meat n' potatoes pallet. We'd be divorced before even a wedding...lol! LOLOLOLOLOL! She says the same to me, so it's ok...LOL!

Yep, Golan heights, during the 7 day war era. I'll just say that some really nasty stuff, was happening on the Golan Heights at that time. I was a chef to the Officer's Mess. I spent one tour of duty over there, and because of that...went back to tour the whole of the Holy Land as a tourist/civilian. I'm from an old (Russian) orthodox Catholic family background, and so wanting to visit the Holy Land was instilled from the cradle..lol. I can give you some GREAT 'where to stay (on the cheap), and suggest what to see, if you are interested. I'll post all that for you in a PM, if you wish. If you and the better half, are willing to work a half day to pick Jaffa Oranges (Israel is famous for growing!) or grapefruit,...I can even get you food and boarded with you only having to pay your way in air fare over there...you will be even picked up out of Ben Gurion airport with the arrangements....it was one of the best vacation/work as a volunteer in my life. My wife and I also want to travel (the same deal) to Ireland, and work on the Highland achelogical sites (as a site volunteer), with you being also boarded and fed by local folk that make some side-money in that manner. But..Israel? Wow...if you have not gone from one end of the small ,wee country to the other...well, coming back home...you will have memories to last a lifetime, ESPECIALLY if you are a faith-practicing Christian. To walk the walk..to stand at Calvary and to look up, gaze up where the Lord's face in history actually was.....will induce tears...trust me. No one leaves that quiet contemplative site, without tears streaming down their faces... But...this is a camping and cooking thread,....so....back to that!

Honey Bun, doesn't want her likeness posted to the Net...so...and camping at the 1,000 Islands, Gananoque, Ontario, Canada. Such a GORGEOUS spot..and great hiking and canoe/kayaking opportunists, we are. Oh...we don't cart them...we rent them...much easier and mission-specific.

Campfire out, dishes done...galley cleaned up for the morning...and we snuggling in the Queen, taking in a movie...ah...Winnie 1706FB camping is sooooooo wonderful...! "Goodnight Honey Bun!" (KISS!) "Goodnight Hon! (Kiss!) Spoon 'n snuggle,...dreams of tomorrow's camping delights...LIFE IS GOOD! Lake Huron, next week...HERE WE COME, baby! Tim Horton's coffee (or three) coming up...!

Old 09-10-2020, 12:55 AM   #12
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Journey39n View Post
Being a self-taught cook from age 11, later, as a widowed single father of three, I inherited cooking duties whether I liked it or not. And I must admit, I like doing most of the cooking now.

My must have tools in our full time RV living, kitchen, 1- an Instant Pot, 2- a Ninja Foodie Grill/air fryer, 3- an induction cooktop, and 4- our convection microwave.

I expect many have similar favorite kitchen appliances for the RV, tailored to specific cooking styles. It is tough, roughing it out camping, but somehow we get by :-)
A great reply post...and thank you for sharing! Yeppers...we don't do, hot-dogs and burgers...and that's it! Nope..they are included amongst gourmet fare...a full satisfied camping belly...is a happy belly, that is connected to a happy camper...
Old 09-10-2020, 12:59 AM   #13
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71_340 View Post
Sunseeker,

If by chance we ever get to camp next to you we'll come over. I'll supply all the beer.

"Yeah?!?!?!?!?!?!? ROTFLMBO! Just to let you know, our campsite is a BYOSRCRC's campsite...and I'll supply the beer...lol!"

Funny post..enjoyed reading it

Oh..decrypting: BYOSRCRC...

"Bring your own steak, roasts, chops, roast chicken" we'll have the oven or campfire ready for ya...!!!!! "Here's an Irish Red Ale"...oh..don't burn your hands, on the tongs..."!
Old 09-10-2020, 01:05 AM   #14
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by NSCRCRZY View Post
I would be lost without our Cuisinart Grill ( GF grill upgrade) and our Instapot. Also a Tiger rice maker which I use to bake bread, steam veggies and lots og other uses
I have Honey Bun over my shoulder reading the latest contributions to this thread...and I said..."See, I'm not the only one who needs 'the appliances'...!

She just smiled, gave me a peck on the neck...squeezed my left shoulder, and walked away. She said as she exited the Den..."..yep..we're all connected by six degrees...".
Old 09-10-2020, 01:34 AM   #15
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topsail View Post
Here is the exact model from my Dynamic 4 camping appliance 'stash'..

https://www.amazon.com/Galloping-Gou...ct_top?ie=UTF8
Old 09-10-2020, 02:55 AM   #16
Van
Winnebago Camper

Social security

I don't see how social security can continue to work with people earning benefits when they have not paid into the system. It is simple math.
Van is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2020, 03:20 AM   #17
Winnie-Wise

Time to plan some of next week's menu's...and start shopping!
Old 09-10-2020, 05:40 AM   #18
Winnebago Owner

Sun Seeker, now you have me picturing you as a jolly happy fat 5' 4" chef. Ha ha, no offense intended. I know you prepare some delicious meals. If I ate like you cook, all I could do is eat, go outside, stretch out on a chair and snooze. My problem is, I just love and enjoy eating. I'm not a fast cook. But, I'm not a slow cook. What does that make me? I guess I'm a half-fast cook.
Sun Seeker, maybe I'll be privileged one day to camp in the same campground as you and get to smell your fine food. I'll do bacon on the grill and later tube steaks on the grill. That is, if we don't forget to bring the buns.
Old 09-10-2020, 07:25 AM   #19
Winnebago Owner

Well I guess it's confirmed, we're a bunch of foodies and there is strength in numbers. My DW doesn't like using storage space for "extra" appliances but I need to step up and get a couple more. Haha. I'll just tell her that we've gotta eat right and see how these seasoned RV TT folks do it.

Yay on travel to Israel. Maybe one day we'll be able, but until then Happy Trails...
Old 09-10-2020, 12:18 PM   #20
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo Walker View Post
Sun Seeker, now you have me picturing you as a jolly happy fat 5' 4" chef. Ha ha, no offense intended. I know you prepare some delicious meals. If I ate like you cook, all I could do is eat, go outside, stretch out on a chair and snooze. My problem is, I just love and enjoy eating. I'm not a fast cook. But, I'm not a slow cook. What does that make me? I guess I'm a half-fast cook.
Sun Seeker, maybe I'll be privileged one day to camp in the same campground as you and get to smell your fine food. I'll do bacon on the grill and later tube steaks on the grill. That is, if we don't forget to bring the buns.
Well..we do hike, bikes, motorcycle tour, when not camping (I own a 2018 Yamaha Star Venture Transcontinental that we use for two or three road tours per year..did Cape Breton Island two years ago...WONDERFUL! WONDERFUL!..going back with the 1706FB for scallops, at Digsby!!!!!) of course---> camping, Cross-Country Skiing...bounce grand-kids upon the knee and then hand them back, if the diaper is full... (a lot of calories goes into that, I have seven of them!), am 6'4", and come in at 255 pounds of Gourmet Eats...lol. My wife, you can see in the pic of her holding up a glass if Deadly Zins (a killer red!) Great with Prime Rib!!!! So...yes...we're not here for the long term..., so eat well, live well, laugh a lot..piss off the doctors and morticians...they can wait....and come sliding into Heaven's Home Plate, with lobster and garlic butter sauce running down your left side of your chin! I'd rather be the happy contented man waiting at Heaven's Gate, rather than the very GRUMPY man, that lasted another 12 years longer on this side of the green.....yeah, sliding into Home...with lobster and garlic-butter...my kind of decedent!