Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Heating, Cooling and Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 06-20-2020, 09:53 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

2019 Adventurer Norcold refrigerator issue

I have a 2019 Adventurer. Before I haul it back to dealer I thought I'd see what suggestions I get here. Don't know when it started but on the way home I noticed a red light flashing where the normally green light is. I was almost home and it seemed to be still cooling well so I waited to check the manual. I shut off and unloaded as it was late. The next day I found I should have counted the flashes to see what the trouble was. But when I started it no red lights appeared, so I thought I must have reset the issue. But now I find the freezer portion seems to cool nicely but the lower frig doesn't. What's up? Any thoughts appreciated.
Dray1953 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2020, 10:45 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

Since this is a frig issue, the model of frig is going to be a start. A good check of the frig manual is likely to turn up a troubleshooting guide, so I would first start there.
Second thought is that frigs often only have one cooling unit and it cools the top and only lets cold air go to the bottom to cool that, so a check for anything blocking airflow from top to bottom would be good.
Type and model of frig can change the answer a bunch.
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2020, 01:22 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Norcold reply

It's a N8XRT. I have the book and as I mentioned I had not seen that you have to count the flashing red to know what the error is. Now that I've turned off and back on the flashing red is gone. Green normal light shows steady now. None of the error flash codes in the manual show a situation that has a cold freezer but warm bottom fridge. I checked web and found nothing there either.
Old 06-20-2020, 02:34 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

Okay, I did a bit of looking around and agree the manual is not going to help for now. do you have some thermometers that you could stick in each compartment to see what it does on cooling? If so, it sometimes helps to have numbers, rather than feeling as we don't get really good info sometimes if we are hot and just feeling of things. Not critical if none on hand, just better to go with numbers of we can get them.
Some thing that you might do a quick look for is the temperature sensing thermocouple that is often an obvious "probe" attached to the cooling fins. You might look in the back to see if you can spot it and make sure it didn't get bumped and knocked loose.
How is the temp where you are now? Without codes, it might be that you need to just let it set for a time and see if the bottom cools down better after a restart.
Is the RV game new or do you know about the RV frigs taking quite a lot longer than house frigs to get it all cooled?
Sometimes it takes a while to get the feel of things, so just a point to ask as it pays to not get too excited sometimes so that we are chasing things that are not broken, just slower than we might expect.
I believe there is a way to recover the error codes but I will have to do some looking to find the exact procedure. Meanwhile I might say to put a thermometer in each if you can and leave it closed and running to see what it might do as boards do sometimes get "confused".
Old 06-20-2020, 05:03 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

I do have one thermometer and the bottom compartment is cooling some. Gonna leave it over night and see. The bottom was down to about 55 a bit ago. Going to see what it is tomorrow. If it comes down more as it should I'll switch to gas and see if that caused the problem. It was working fine while we were away.
Thank you.
Old 06-20-2020, 08:34 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

Sounds like a plan. I normally think of the top and bottom as being one cooling unit, just the top gets more of the action, so it may go ahead and not be a problem. Fingers crossed for luck?

Tags
refrigerator, norcold, vent, adventurer