Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-02-2022, 07:13 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

I am so disappointed with Winnebago's Roof construction

The wife and I just recently purchased a new to us 2019 Outlook 22C with very low mileage(12,500 miles). We had it inspected and everything said 'pull the trigger'. We've been watching You Tube and reading forums as much as we can to be able to properly maintain our RV. Having said all that I got the worse feeling in the pit of my stomach when I watched this latest video by blogger AZ Expert regarding a 2018 Outlook 22C. This is a video that he posted on his vlog regarding a total roof removal of that model year.
What I really need to know is this was 2018 the last year that Winnebago built roofs like this? No metal supports nor bracing for the roof and only using 1/8" thick paneling?
Old 01-02-2022, 11:16 PM   #2
Site Team

I can understand how you feel having watched that video just after your purchase. With good seam maintenance, however, Winnebago roofs will hold up well for many years. I believe the only difference in this roof is that Winnebago did not use fiberglass on the top layer. Also, AZ Expert only sees the worst roof problems, so realize the vast majority of Outlook owners are not having that kind of issue. Just do the semi-annual roof seam inspection and maintenance and you should get many years of enjoyment from your Winnie.
macnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2022, 08:55 AM   #3
Winnebago Camper

I can surely appreciate your optimism and I for one sure do hope you are right. Just bothers me to no end that a reputable company such as Winnebago would even consider that type of roofing system in the first place. I do realize that the Outlook model was built as an entry level camper but having said that I wouldn't think that Winnebago would sacrifice it's quality of construction to cut costs to do so. Usually a manufacturer cuts back on the "bells and whistles" to lower the price. I guess only time will tell. Thanks for being a glass half full kind of guy.
Old 01-03-2022, 09:42 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

Assuming you have a rubber roof, the key issue is the thickness of the underlying plywood. If your roof is fiberglass, then it's definitely been changed.

I'm not familiar with your model but, if you have an "inner skylight" in your bathroom, you can remove it and most likely be able to see the edges of the skylight cut out and see the thickness of the plywood. There may be other areas where you can see the cut out areas but with most of the "penetrations" like roof vents, the edges of the cut out are covered by flanges. I'm not sure about the air conditioner's cut out. A roof-mounted clearance light might be another option.
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2022, 10:46 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

In the video it appears that this model has no support ribs, I don't understand how that can work unless there are enough interior walls to support someone walking on it? I mean do people walk on these roofs without them caving in? On my Via I am pretty sure there are ribs although spaced quite far apart.
Anyway like macnut said just keep up on inspections, if you keep it at your home it makes it easier to periodically check it. I have Filon and lucky enough to store at home and since I learned all about the Filon edge seams from AZexpert I now inspect after each trip.
On this size and class of motorhome I am sure the builders have a real challenge keeping the weight down otherwise you would have no CCC at all..
Old 01-03-2022, 11:28 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

Winnebago has made all their motorhome roofs just like the one in the video for decades. Only difference is that some of the latest models use a rubber top layer instead of a thin fiberglass based sheet.

The roof gets it's strength from the glued laminations, not supporting joists or ribs. In the video it appears that some of the glue has failed, or possibly never worked. This problem is different than the roof edge sealing which applies to models with rounded sides (or in some cases, ends).

tderonne is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2022, 04:30 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by tderonne View Post
Winnebago has made all their motorhome roofs just like the one in the video for decades. Only difference is that some of the latest models use a rubber top layer instead of a thin fiberglass based sheet.

The roof gets it's strength from the glued laminations, not supporting joists or ribs. In the video it appears that some of the glue has failed, or possibly never worked. This problem is different than the roof edge sealing which applies to models with rounded sides (or in some cases, ends).
Would this be the case with my 2011 Via? It actually has some metal ribs under the Filon, are they helping to support the roof load or just holding the walls together?
Old 01-03-2022, 04:53 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

Check out page 9 of the brochure.

Same flimsy sheet metal ribs as seen in AZ RV Expert's videos.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Via.png
Views:	149
Size:	245.1 KB
ID:	181607  

Old 01-03-2022, 05:03 PM   #9
Winnebago Master

Well I've slid my 230 lb carcass up there and while I was very careful it didn't show any signs of weakness. I did use a padded piece of plywood to distribute my weight. I noticed in 2011 they didn't think much of rubber roofs, they must have changed their mind later
Attached Images

Old 01-03-2022, 05:09 PM   #10
Winnebago Master

Yup, I've been on my roof plenty. Laminated structures are strong!

Old 01-03-2022, 06:21 PM   #11
Winnebago Master

You Outlook and Intent owners may want to see if you can get one of the law firms that specialize in class action lawsuits to file a case. I would think Winnebago would settle a suit like that with an additional warranty for them to cover any failures within a reasonable time frame a.k.a something like 8 years or so.

There is no way that the Winnebago designers expected the center of the roof to sag creating standing water when a RV is parked level, leading to roof deterioration, as it is doing in some units. I suspect that the roof system works ONLY if the manufacturing of the laminated roof was done perfectly by the factory on each specific unit. Some percentage of units made were NOT done perfectly it would seem.
powercat_ras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2022, 11:18 PM   #12
Winnebago Camper

Well according to AZ Expert the roof does not have any cross members norany typ of substructure. The rubber roof is just sitting on top of the 'styrofoam... I'm going to pull several of the vents and see if I can actually see anything between the eof and substructure.
Old 01-04-2022, 09:02 AM   #13
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gladd651 View Post
Well according to AZ Expert the roof does not have any cross members norany typ of substructure. The rubber roof is just sitting on top of the 'styrofoam... I'm going to pull several of the vents and see if I can actually see anything between the eof and substructure.
AZ Expert does not say it's sitting on top of the foam. At approximately 2:22, he comments that it's "just 1/8" paneling without any support or structure underneath".
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2022, 09:15 AM   #14
Winnebago Master

Quote:
I think the best thing you can do it have yearly inspections and maintenance performed at an authorized Winnebago facility, that way it would be hard for Winnebago to weasel out of the 10 year warranty if anything goes wrong. This is assuming the rubber roofs have the same 10 year warranty as the Filon.
Old 01-04-2022, 08:35 PM   #15
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobC View Post
AZ Expert does not say it's sitting on top of the foam. At approximately 2:22, he comments that it's "just 1/8" paneling without any support or structure underneath".
I understand that but because Winnebago failed to put any type of structural support in the area of the A/C unit it caused the roof to bow down and would eventually cause it to leak over time. I watched it a couple more times and saw Chad go below and start pushing up where the A/C unit had been and there was substantial flexing. Obviously Styrofoam is not a very good structural support. I realize there are weight limits on the roof of 230# I'm imagining this is one of the reasons why the Outlook model was discontinued after 2019. Needless to say I just wasn't very happy about the lack of quality. Not a place to skimp on costs in my opinion. I'd of gladly paid an extra couple of more dollars to have some type of aluminum girder support the weight of the A/C knowing what I know now. I do appreciate your comment.
Old 01-05-2022, 09:43 AM   #16
Winnebago Master

This has nothing to do with the Outlook. As I said, this roof construction is used on ALL Winnebago motorhomes. In the video it's not laminated correctly. The top lauan layer is not properly glued to the foam. They are acting independently, rather than together like they should be.

My '04 Adventurer has the exact same setup. It doesn't sag at all when I walk on it. But it's properly glued.

* One thing I do wonder though, and maybe could break it down to not ALL motorhomes, is if the troubled ones out there all came from a different manufacturing location. Does Winnebago still build anything at Charles City? I need to check that....

Edit: Charles City plant was active from 2002-2008. So all motorhomes are built in Forest City, right?

Old 01-05-2022, 11:44 AM   #17
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by tderonne View Post
This has nothing to do with the Outlook. As I said, this roof construction is used on ALL Winnebago motorhomes. In the video it's not laminated correctly. The top lauan layer is not properly glued to the foam. They are acting independently, rather than together like they should be.

My '04 Adventurer has the exact same setup. It doesn't sag at all when I walk on it. But it's properly glued.

* One thing I do wonder though, and maybe could break it down to not ALL motorhomes, is if the troubled ones out there all came from a different manufacturing location. Does Winnebago still build anything at Charles City? I need to check that....

Edit: Charles City plant was active from 2002-2008. So all motorhomes are built in Forest City, right?
I sit corrected😁. I was unaware that they had any other facilities other than Forest City. Nonetheless quality control was lacking on an undetermined amount of Winnies. The point of my post was to bring attention to the matter thats all as well as to hopefully hear of a remedy in an effort to prevent a catastrophic failure. How does one know if their roof is in the process of delaminating? What are some of the tell tale signs? Please, forgive my ignorance I'm here to be educated.
Old 01-06-2022, 07:55 AM   #18
Winnebago Master

Your point is valid and made well. I just want to be sure folks know it's not a "Class C" or "entry level" or new issue.

It would seem if you had a poorly built unit, you'd pretty much know it. The couple videos I watched had roofs with pretty obvious sags in them.

I googled a bit more about Charles City. Some recent stuff I found said Winnebago has facilities in Charles City, Forest City, Lake Mills, and Waverly. Wikipedia quotes an article I can't get to that they "...employ 70 in Waverly, Iowa, due to labor shortage issues in the Forest City area. The company now employs about 2,400 workers in Forest City, 200 in Charles City and 60 in Lake Mills, plus additional employees in Middlebury, Indiana". I couldn't find solid information on what goes on in Charles City these days. I also found mention that the Charles City plant was sold to a tire company. Maybe someone reading this knows more about what goes on where?

Old 01-09-2022, 04:47 PM   #19
Winnebago Watcher

Quote:
The wife and I just recently purchased a new to us 2019 Outlook 22C with very low mileage(12,500 miles). We had it inspected and everything said 'pull the trigger'. We've been watching You Tube and reading forums as much as we can to be able to properly maintain our RV. Having said all that I got the worse feeling in the pit of my stomach when I watched this latest video by blogger AZ Expert regarding a 2018 Outlook 22C. This is a video that he posted on his vlog regarding a total roof removal of that model year.
What I really need to know is this was 2018 the last year that Winnebago built roofs like this? No metal supports nor bracing for the roof and only using 1/8" thick paneling?
I don’t think you will have a problem. As your Outlook is short 22’?. I have the 31k (33’) and he (AZ Expert)found major issues with that model roof. I am having soft roof with bubbling in the fiberglass. I reached out to Winnebago and of course they said it was normal. My spirit 31k is 2019. I am very concerned!
Tablack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2022, 07:11 PM   #20
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
My 2028 31 G has a filon roof with no problems
68SILVER is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
roof, winnebago