Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 11-10-2021, 02:47 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Roof construction on my Ultralite and is it damaged?

My 2015 Ultralite I believe has a TPO membrane over a aluminum bowed frame with wood under the TPO. I get up on my roof every time I put on my cover, basically stepping on the roof off the ladder in the same spot. I've started to notice more "movement" in the spot I step on and maybe a couple of other areas. Now, I'm a heavy guy, 270lbs and I think I recall reading the roofs are rated to 300lbs.

Question I have is, what kind of damage is happening under this TPO membrane from me getting on the roof? Is movement normal, or is the the precursor to serious damage? No leaks that I know of, but just movement of the wood in some spots as I step around on the roof. What do you guys think? And how does the warranty for these roofs work, for how long?
Old 11-10-2021, 05:03 PM   #2
Site Team

I posted that I checked the brochure and that your roof was filon (Fiberglass) but upon a second glance I saw that the roof was "fiberglass insulated" I missed that insulated part.

I hoped the brochure would clear this up. But I'm not finding it, so I deleted that original post.

A reread of the brochure did yield this tidbit:

Color-matched rubber roofing

Here's a link to your brochure - looks like a very nice TT:

https://www.winnebago.com/Files/Imag...teBrochure.pdf
Old 11-10-2021, 08:42 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by creativepart View Post
I posted that I checked the brochure and that your roof was filon (Fiberglass) but upon a second glance I saw that the roof was "fiberglass insulated" I missed that insulated part.

I hoped the brochure would clear this up. But I'm not finding it, so I deleted that original post.

A reread of the brochure did yield this tidbit:

Color-matched rubber roofing

Here's a link to your brochure - looks like a very nice TT:

https://www.winnebago.com/Files/Imag...teBrochure.pdf

Thanks creative. Just curious if I've damaged it walking on the roof. Definitely seems to be more give in the roof in certain sections. The rubber coating on top is still looking good though.
Old 11-10-2021, 09:18 PM   #4
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fasttimes View Post
Thanks creative. Just curious if I've damaged it walking on the roof. Definitely seems to be more give in the roof in certain sections. The rubber coating on top is still looking good though.
It's just a guess, but I'd expect it to be like the other roofs they make which are layered with Styrofoam, thin luan plywood and then the outer covering.

If that's the case walking on the roof is generally not a problem unless there is a leak and water is getting under the outer roof material and weakening the Luan Plywood.

You know, the towables are just different from the rest of their production so it is difficult for me to know. The brochure does say the roof has aluminum curved trusses and styrofoam under the covering.
Old 11-12-2021, 09:18 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

The thing for sure to avoid on any RV roof is putting all your weight on a kneecap or the toe of a foot on one spot of the roof. In particular in a spot between the roof supports or on center of the wall sides of the vent openings, AC openings, Shower skylight opening. All that weight in one small 2" x 2" area can damage it.

Take a foam gardening kneeling pad up to the roof with you or cut a 12" x 18" of plywood to kneel on to spread out the weight over a bigger area. When getting up from kneeling try to spread weight out on foot as much as is practical.

So far as your current situation, with a EPDO membrane you should be OK to just continue as is even if there is stress damage to the underlying plywood. On a Winnebago motorized with Filon Fiberglass over plywood panel over styrofoam panel ( non-membrane roof ) if it cracks then you have to address with repair to keep out water, such as with Eternabond tape or Lap sealant or roof replacement depending on severity.
powercat_ras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2021, 05:17 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

I noticed that my roof appears to have NEVER been cleaned or taken care of, so I got up there a dozen or more times, cleaning, scraping crap off, removing antennas and patching, doing a solvent wash, and applying three coats of marine polyurethane paint (which I know will stand up to the elements for years). After a few more trips up to install solar, the first time it rained, my RV leaked like crazy. I resealed the roof seam (which I'm also sure was never done), and all is well. I am sure my screwing around up there was the last straw for the seal.
MadMaxWinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2021, 09:00 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Ultra lite usually means less material thus less strength. The proper thing to do is put up strips of say 1/2 “ plywood to spread out the stress over several rafters. My daughter had a cheap KZ trailer and had the same problem. Luckily the dealer caused the problem on some warranty work. She pressed them to replace the trailer. They did. You’re probably stuck with the problem because of this. Hard to repair without complete roof tear off and replacing damaged rafters and then using thicker plywood. Big job. Big money. Good luck.
09 harley is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
roof