Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNIEOWNERS COMMUNITY FORUMS > Winnebago General Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 06-30-2023, 02:50 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Gimmie A Break! 2022 Vista brakes.

I've got 20,000 miles on my 2022 Vista and thought I should get the breaks checked. When I called to schedule, they said it would cost several hundred dollars ($600?) just to check them. I understand it's not like a car where you can put it on a rack and check the breaks in a few minutes. But it almost seems as though I should forego the check, and just have them do a break job. I'm told that will run around $1700, which I'm not anxious to fork out. But to have to pay that on top of the $600 to do the inspection seems crazy.

Is this SOP?

Thanks-
Clyncher
Clyncher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2023, 05:33 PM   #2
Winnebago Watcher

It takes time to remove wheels to do this inspection and people need to be paid for their time. If you talk to them, I'm sure the $600 can be rolled into the brake job if it needs one. Meaning they no longer have to do that portion of the work again for the brake job. So they inspect the brakes, they're good, you pay $600. They need replacing, you pay $1700, but not $2300 for an inspection and brake job. I hope this makes sense.
gr8wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2023, 06:16 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clyncher View Post
I've got 20,000 miles on my 2022 Vista and thought I should get the breaks checked. When I called to schedule, they said it would cost several hundred dollars ($600?) just to check them. I understand it's not like a car where you can put it on a rack and check the breaks in a few minutes. But it almost seems as though I should forego the check, and just have them do a break job. I'm told that will run around $1700, which I'm not anxious to fork out. But to have to pay that on top of the $600 to do the inspection seems crazy.

Is this SOP?

Thanks-
Clyncher
Sounds like time to shop around! Have you ever done a brake job or watched while they did it?
NOT that big a deal to take the wheels off if needed but then many brakes don't need to remove the wheels as they just look in from the inside!
Lots will depend on which vehicle but I would go looking for the guys who just run it up an a lift or pull it over a trench.
where I go, they know me now and we just set a date when the weather is okay, pull it in the back lot to be out of the way and they do the work with portable jacks and creepers if they need to take wheel off.
Small place with maybe 3-4 guys at a time working.
If the RV has been checked and taken care of, about the biggest thing will be changing the pads or shoes and that is not much different that doing a truck, so no great deal of techie knowledge needed!

Much of the time all they will need to do is lay eyes on them and let you know how they are holding up.
Next time you go by to ask, try driving an older car!! They may have seen you coming!
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2023, 09:05 PM   #4
Site Team

Hi Clyncher,
20,000 miles is not that much for a set of brakes. If you use engine braking going down long grades, your brakes should not be worn-out yet. Plus, they will squeal when you start to get down to the rivets. If you are not getting brake squeal, surge, or pull, I wouldn't worry about it at just 20K & 1+ years old.
Eagle5
Old 06-30-2023, 09:31 PM   #5
Site Team

I’m pretty sure your Ford F53 Owners Manual doesn’t call for any brake inspection or work until 60,000 mi.

And, to answer your question… yes, it is SOP.

Owning a motorhome is a costly thing. Just be happy you don’t own a diesel motorhome.

PS. I have 48,000 mi on my 6-yr old RV. Never done any brake inspection. I did buy new tires last year and while the tires were off I checked the pads and the rotors. Lots of pad and disk depth left on all corners.
Old 07-01-2023, 12:48 PM   #6
Winnie-Wise

Clyncher,
Who did you call to do the brake inspection? I just had my oil changed at a Ford truck center. Included in the price for the oil change was a brake, tire, and chassis battery inspection.
Bones2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2023, 12:54 PM   #7
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by creativepart View Post
I’m pretty sure your Ford F53 Owners Manual doesn’t call for any brake inspection or work until 60,000 mi.
Creativepart,
Actually the Ford F53 maintenance schedule calls for replacing the brake fluid every 3 years. Good time to inspect the brakes at that point.
Bones2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2023, 04:29 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bones2003 View Post
Clyncher,
Who did you call to do the brake inspection? I just had my oil changed at a Ford truck center. Included in the price for the oil change was a brake, tire, and chassis battery inspection.
Yup, standard procedure for Ford dealers.
Delco Bobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2023, 08:40 PM   #9
Winnebago Camper

Thanks everyone! I appreciate all the feedback. Lots of good points to look into/consider.
Clyncher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2023, 09:44 PM   #10
Winnebago Owner

Most important post was correct use of engine braking. When I was trained to haul truck and pup in my early twenties the instructor said "yes the brakes are there to be used but if you use your drive train to do the majority of braking then they will always be there!" On the way home down the smasher on the Coquihalla Hwy or more recently coined "highway from hell" there was a runaway of a 7 axle dump similar to one that I used to drive for a large construction company back in the 1970s.

He must have stopped at the brake check by law, but obviously did not pay serious attention to the gear or he might have avoided a very costly incident. He was buried up to the running boards on the truck in the pea gravel and sand on the runaway ramp. I am sure the incident bent the frame the way the cab had buckled. It was fully loaded and the trucker was just plain lucky to come out of that runaway the way he did.

It does not matter how many miles are on the unit if there is any sign of brake fade at all during long applications then service them immediately. It is that simple.

Do pre trip application checks the way professionals are trained to do and use the facilities with scales to check your loaded profile. The people in the scales will just smile and wave and that is their job, we pay for the services with our tax dollars and if one shows courteousness and knowledge the mermaids will smile and not put you over their portables if you are stopped because you failed to stop for a light or stop sign because of faded warn brakes.

Safe and happy camping.
reeman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brakes, brake