Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNIEOWNERS COMMUNITY FORUMS > Winnebago General Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 06-30-2023, 11:19 AM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

Coleman Basement Heat Pump 6535 to 46515 Wiring

Help, I'm desperate and I have been on hold with coleman for hours.

I just replaced my 6535 heat pump with the new 46515 and the swap was pretty easy, but I have a wiring question that I need solved. The old pump has a 9 pin plug and a white wire with black dots and an orange wire with black dots. The orange wire has a blue pigtail that just changes the plug on the end from male to female. I believe these 2 wires are a low power cutoff for the #2 compressor. There is no mention of these in the brief instructions that come with the new pump. On the old pump, the white wire connected to the circuit board and the blue (orange) wire connected to a relay. On the new pump, there is no connection for the white wire and there is relay with 2 open spade connectors, but I don't want to guess. Has anyone here done this replacement or done a circuit board upgrade that knows where these wires connect?
gr8wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2023, 09:51 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

The orange wire with black stripe and white wire with black stripe are unique to Winnebago. That is for the EMS system. The orange/black wire attaches to the large orange wire instead of the large orange wire attaching to the #2 compressor relay. The white wire replaces the small orange wire on the PC board, small orange wire is eliminated.

The prevents #2 compressor from running on 30A service when using other high-draw appliances, it's called load shedding. Jim Hyteck explains them well: reference post #25 at: https://www.irv2.com/forums/f258/bas...ne-613977.html

Since I prefer to manually manage Amp useage, I did not use those 2 wires. This way if I'm careful I can run both compressors on 30A service.
If you have more questions, I'm sure Jim would be glad to share his experience.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA. "We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution." Abraham Lincoln
Ray,IN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2023, 10:03 PM   #3
Site Team

It would be much more helpful if you took the time to tell us the model year, model name and specific floor plan of the RV you were asking about.

Help us help you.
Old 06-30-2023, 10:39 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by creativepart View Post
It would be much more helpful if you took the time to tell us the model year, model name and specific floor plan of the RV you were asking about.

Help us help you.
In this instance it doesn't matter, this is a Winnebago-specific set of wires to their EMS system from the basement ColemanMach unit..
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA. "We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution." Abraham Lincoln
Old 07-01-2023, 06:19 AM   #5
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
In this instance it doesn't matter, this is a Winnebago-specific set of wires to their EMS system from the basement ColemanMach unit..
Wires that would be detailed in the wiring diagram for whatever motorhome this is… yes?
Old 07-02-2023, 01:18 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by creativepart View Post
Wires that would be detailed in the wiring diagram for whatever motorhome this is… yes?
The Intellitec EMS Winnebago uses is the same in every MH with a basement heat pump. Jim HiTek explains it very well in that link to irv2.com. Year and model of Winnebago MH is immaterial. It only involves the EMS and basement heat pump wiring

Those 2 wires intercept the PC board signal to turn on compressor #2, and if the Intellitec EMS recognizes 30A or less incoming power it will not allow compressor #2 relay to supply 120VAC to #2 compressor when other draws are recognized.

Winnebago has a hierarchy for being powered by 30A, When the Intellitec EMS senses there is less than 15A available it begins shutting off 120VAC appliances. First is water heater, second is A/C #2 compressor, third is microwave- I forget, fourth is refrigerator.
I have read that hierarchy can be changed.
Old 07-05-2023, 08:15 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

I replaced my unit in 2015. Here are the notes I recorded from an email exchange with RVP Coleman: "12v wiring changes in upgrade from 6535A871 to 46515-811, "I need to know where two 12v wires should connect. These two wires are in addition to the wires in the 9-pin connnector: - One is white with black markings on it. - One is orange with black markings on it. Reply from Mike Dickey [[email protected]], RE: 12v wiring changes in upgrade from 6535A871 to 46515-811, “The white with the black stripe will plug into the pc board on either the 12 volt ac two blue or ac two orange. The wire that was on the terminal you choose goes to the orange with the black stripe.”

That worked fine as far as I cound see. Then I started having problems this past March that amp readings indicated to me that #2 compressor was not staying runnning after initial startup. I took it to a Winnebago dealership, and they told me that the #2 compressor relay was "wired wrong", and likely never worked". (and the service manager claims it is impossible to run both compressors on 30a service ... FALSE!) Frankly, I do not believe it was "mis-wired" as I KNOW FOR SURE that it has worked for the past 7 years. Whatever, they claim they re-wired it and that #2 now works as it should on 50a service/generator. What I can see is that it is appears to be pulling 2-3 more amps than it did before.

We bought the coach 20 years ago this week and have put 130k miles on top of the 5k it had as a dealer show coach. We are no longer using the big diesel as it needs to be used, wife cannot travel as much as we used to, and are in process of trading it in on a 2022 Class C.
Old 07-06-2023, 06:02 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

Paul, it depends on which PC board is installed, there are 4 generations of the board and each has a bit-different wiring.
I didn't hook up my EMS, I left the small orange wire attached tot the #2 relay and the comp.2 orange terminal. The EMS was not hooked up when i first opened the electrical box anyway, and I never had a problem with 30A service running the heat pump, I just watched the EMS panel display for total amp draw.
This utube video shows AZExpert replacing the PC board, I did the same thing. See how much simpler the latest board is compared to the old. I got messed up with the wiring, took several hrs. for me to find my mistake, but I got it all. New PC board, new relays, new caps, new thermostat, oiled all the motor bushings. Should be good for another 23 yrs.

Tags
wiring, heat, heat pump