Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-11-2007, 08:51 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

I used to build my own engines when I was young and energetic, except for some machine shop work such as boring and milling. We had alot of fun in those days at the 1/4 mile track and weekend cruising.
My procedure was always to get the revs up a few times at first, then take it easy for the first 500 constantly varying the speed and rpm's. Limited highway driving and again never staying at one rpm too long. I would change the oil at 100, 500, and then at 2 to 3000 mile intervals.I considered that first oil change very important as it got the flakes of metal from the parts initially breaking in out of the system.

I still change the oil right away on the few new vehicles even though the dealers think I'm nuts but I do it myself anyway so no big deal.

Motorhome Manufacturers hire someone to drive the rigs to the dealers around the country I assume? I would guess this is how it's done as the motorhome I just got was within about 50 miles on the odometer from the distance of the dealer to the Winnebago factory. Plus it would be difficult to bring them by 18 wheel flatbed and with this country's lack of rail system that is out of the question.
Do these people follow the proper procedures and avoid staying at one speed, or do they put the units on cruise control and go? Highway only break-in is not the ideal way in my book but I know they can't avoid it. The manufacturers I know claim the modern engines don't need a long break in like they once did, probably due to tighter manufacturing tolerances etc...
Is there set rules in place that prohibit them from sleeping in the beds etc? I would assume they stay at motels as the units are very clean.
ctcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 08:51 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner

I used to build my own engines when I was young and energetic, except for some machine shop work such as boring and milling. We had alot of fun in those days at the 1/4 mile track and weekend cruising.
My procedure was always to get the revs up a few times at first, then take it easy for the first 500 constantly varying the speed and rpm's. Limited highway driving and again never staying at one rpm too long. I would change the oil at 100, 500, and then at 2 to 3000 mile intervals.I considered that first oil change very important as it got the flakes of metal from the parts initially breaking in out of the system.

I still change the oil right away on the few new vehicles even though the dealers think I'm nuts but I do it myself anyway so no big deal.

Motorhome Manufacturers hire someone to drive the rigs to the dealers around the country I assume? I would guess this is how it's done as the motorhome I just got was within about 50 miles on the odometer from the distance of the dealer to the Winnebago factory. Plus it would be difficult to bring them by 18 wheel flatbed and with this country's lack of rail system that is out of the question.
Do these people follow the proper procedures and avoid staying at one speed, or do they put the units on cruise control and go? Highway only break-in is not the ideal way in my book but I know they can't avoid it. The manufacturers I know claim the modern engines don't need a long break in like they once did, probably due to tighter manufacturing tolerances etc...
Is there set rules in place that prohibit them from sleeping in the beds etc? I would assume they stay at motels as the units are very clean.
Old 09-11-2007, 12:22 PM   #3
Winnie-Wise

All they're supposed to use is the driver's seat and required equipment to get from point A to point B.

Not supposed to smoke in them, use the bed or head.

'05 Meridian 36G
CHIPPYSGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 01:01 PM   #4

My owners manual says that the break in period is 500 miles....When I bought it new, it had 848 miles on it....and that was from the factory. Also, the highest mph stored on the odometer computer read "81 mph", and the highest RPM on the computer was 4,300 RPM. I haven't gotten that high in either of those catagories in the 12,000 miles since!!!

LOL....If you own a gas chassis motorhome, your motorhome is broken in before you bought it!!
FrontRangeRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 01:27 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

If you would prefer doing your own breakin, Lichtsinn is right down the street from Winnie. I've never done business with them, but everything I've read about them on this forum has been good. Of course, you then don't have a "local" dealer, but most of those seem to be worthless anyway. It's a possibility, if you're concerned about how your new baby is handled by the delivery driver...
tomsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 01:50 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

I was just curious, mine had around a little over 1300 on it. I suppose I'm better off not knowing how fast it was pushed I rarely hit 70 and then only if I really have to. Most of the time I am in the slow lane at 55-60. I have learned that trying to break land records tends to gain only a few minutes.
I debated going out to Lichtsinn but I got a good price an hour away. in a neighboring state. I know the parts depertment at Lichtsinn is great and I have been ordering parts from them for several years now.
Old 09-11-2007, 01:57 PM   #7

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ctcamper:
I was just curious, mine had around a little over 1300 on it. I suppose I'm better off not knowing how fast it was pushed I rarely hit 70 and then only if I really have to. Most of the time I am in the slow lane at 55-60. I have learned that trying to break land records tends to gain only a few minutes.
I debated going out to Lichtsinn but I got a good price an hour away. in a neighboring state. I know the parts depertment at Lichtsinn is great and I have been ordering parts from them for several years now. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

If you have a Workhorse chassis, the high RPM and high MPH and engine hours are stored on your computer/odometer display and you can look at them through the menus.

I'm going to give Lichtsinn's a shot at our next motorhome....if they are still around then.
FrontRangeRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 03:52 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

A point of interest. On each of my 2 IP changeouts, the stored rpm/mph numbers dissapeared. I started fresh each time. Odometer was re set on the new ones to reflect actual milage...rgr..
rgrstndgby is offline   Reply With Quote