Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNIEOWNERS COMMUNITY FORUMS > Winnebago General Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 01-23-2024, 07:06 AM   #1
V29
Winnebago Camper

Considering 2025 Vista V29 Purchase

I've finally learned the First Rule, join a forum and ask questions before a purchase!

So here it goes. This will be my second and possibly last RV - tend to keep stuff until EOL. I'm looking at ordering a Vista 29 this summer - it would be a 2025 model then. I just looked at it at the Florida Fairgrounds RV show in Tampa. I wanted around 25 feet, but storage and features are too limiting with RVs that size for my desires. So I will get a V29 unless some say watch out for .... The only item (so far) I have serious reservations about is the refrigerator! And it is a big one. Winnebago is implementing California and other state requirements across the board on their new designs - GOING 100% electric when/where ever possible.

The refrigerator (I believe it is a Norcold 10cuft) is now 120Vac with 12Vdc via an inverter. The consumption is 8 amps (DC) when the compressor is running. Having only 2 small batteries will not even give 24 hours of operation. That means that Winnebago is assuming one will be plugged into power 100% of the time and the batteries are only for travel time in between plug ins. That would be a red line for me as I go off-grid 80% of the time and I won't or can't (not allowed in some locations) run a generator when no power is available.

I was told by a "salesman" at the show that he had one in his driveway and ran it on batteries for over three days without plugging in. I know that is physically impossible. Frankly, It has to be a lie to make a sale. I have extensive knowledge in this area and the 2 batteries Winnebago provide have apx 55 AH of usable power (200AH total) before a recharge is required. Refrigerators of this type consume apx 125-150AH in a 24 hour period. This is mostly a direct result of the insulation R value. The compressor only needs apx 25AH if the R value is R14 or higher, but typically the R value is 4 to 5. R value range is 2.2 to 2.7 per inch of thickness.

So the question I have is - Does anyone here have first hand real experience with this situation and how long will the refrigerator run on JUST the batteries alone without being plugged in?

Also, if there is anything I should know, I am all ears. ' looking forward to being a productive member of this group.
TIA

For those that do not have this newer model, propane refrigeration is NOT Available or an Option from Winnebago any more on new models - V29 and all that follow across the fleet!
V29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2024, 09:10 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

I do not have direct info on the frig but a thought that I have found worthwhile in my shopping.
I don't buy new!
There are many things that they do not get right at first go , so I tend to let others work out those "new car" kinks before I pick it up. In the RV, area, service is quite different than car sales. Cars, we expect to get in for service in very short time frame but RV service may lean more toward being a weeks/months long process.
that long time frame of me owning an RV but it not being usable is not agreeable to me, so I let others handle the shakedown trips and then look for their resell.

Does that idea work at all for you or are you set on new? My thought is that it might work well if the frig in a year old model is more what fits for you, combine the two ideas to get closer to what fits you best?

What I see much of the time here on the forum is that we each have different needs/wants/requirements, so looking deeper can sometimes be needed and worth the study!

Personally, we WANT (insist on?) a propane frig if at all possible! For this reason as well as very close to past the RV stage, we may never go into a newer RV again!
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2024, 09:36 AM   #3
Site Team

We have a 120v residential fridge as an OEM option from Winnebago. However, when selecting that option on my 2017 Adventurer 37F you automatically doubled the battery capacity to 4-100 amp hour batteries.

The 3-day statement is definitely not true with using an inverter to power a 120v fridge. Before switching to Lithium batteries we could rely on no more than 14 hrs of operation before going below 50% state of charge in our battery bank.

By the way, I doubt California has little to do with with the fridge choice. In general RV buyers have been asking for compressor fridges for a number of years but mostly Winnebago and others have been using 12v compressor fridges that don’t require a larger inverter.

I know many people have expressed a desire to forgo propane in their RVs. So, perhaps that is going that way in 2025. I see plenty of Van RVs without propane on board.

Don’t get me wrong, there are plenty of buyers still wanting a RV fridge that runs on AC or Propane but as that number has severely dwindled it’s much more difficult to find in a new coach.

Based on the 3-day story perhaps that salesperson was uniformed about the whole spec? The newest spec on the Winnebago website shows a 12v compressor fridge as the only option. But it seems to be for the 2024 model year.
Old 01-23-2024, 10:06 AM   #4
V29
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by creativepart View Post
We have a 120v residential fridge as an OEM option from Winnebago. However, when selecting that option on my 2017 Adventurer 37F you automatically doubled the battery capacity to 4-100 amp hour batteries.

The 3-day statement is definitely not true with using an inverter to power a 120v fridge. Before switching to Lithium batteries we could rely on no more than 14 hrs of operation before going below 50% state of charge in our battery bank.

By the way, I doubt California has little to do with with the fridge choice. In general RV buyers have been asking for compressor fridges for a number of years but mostly Winnebago and others have been using 12v compressor fridges that don’t require a larger inverter.

I know many people have expressed a desire to forgo propane in their RVs. So, perhaps that is going that way in 2025. I see plenty of Van RVs without propane on board.

Don’t get me wrong, there are plenty of buyers still wanting a RV fridge that runs on AC or Propane but as that number has severely dwindled it’s much more difficult to find in a new coach.

Based on the 3-day story perhaps that salesperson was uniformed about the whole spec? The newest spec on the Winnebago website shows a 12v compressor fridge as the only option. But it seems to be for the 2024 model year.
Thanks, you confirmed what I already knew. The salesman lied in attempt to make a sale. 14 hours is optimistic at best. The picture shows what I do to run my AC on batteries, typically only for overnight. I'd have to add the refrigerator to.

That's 800 AH in addition to the 400Ah from the manufacturer - NOT Winnebago..
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bbsm.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	73.0 KB
ID:	188252  
Old 01-23-2024, 10:10 AM   #5
V29
Winnebago Camper

BTW, I have not looked into this Norcold at all. I assume it is 12Vdc not 120Vdc. Can you confirm this? If 12Vdc it has a Danfoss BD35 or BD50 Compressor. What is the inverter for then?

Re the reason - California, ... that may just be another lie. Usually changes are a result of GREED, not customer benefit.
Old 01-23-2024, 11:25 AM   #6
Site Team

Certainly current models use a 12v compressor fridge. The inverter is a 1000w model and runs a few plugs and the TVs. As more and more people seem to need CPAP machines the inverter meets that need.

The Vista 29V is also available as a NPF (National Park Foundation) model with 320ah of Lithionics batteries and I think they can be optioned with another 320ah battery, too.

A 640ah battery may run a 12v Fridge close to 3-days.
Old 01-23-2024, 04:57 PM   #7
V29
Winnebago Camper

Thanks for the real information! Honestly, I have not found that in the RV community. Too many opinions as facts.

The salesman said the Frig was 120vac. I think that it is probably using the converter as its DC source when plugged in vs meaning it is running on 120Vac directly like a home refr.

From your additional information, the 3days on lithium would be correct, but he didn't say it was Lithium. He said the standard batteries. Thanks for the rest of the story - LOL.

Lithium 0 to 100% 640Ah @ 150/day would give 4 days.

If I install 800Ah AGM => 800 * .8 = 640, * 1/3 = 213 Ah available, @150/day would be 1 day 10 Hours. That is not a doable amount. A red line for me. I may have now have to consider Newmar or just keep my current ****. Amazing, designers do not consider some customer requirements.

Thanks again.
Old 01-24-2024, 09:15 AM   #8
Winnebago Camper

I have the same fridge and had the same concerns when we purchased our coach.

With that said we absolutely love the 12 volt Norcold. It cools quickly and holds temps much better than our previous models and you don’t have to worry about being level for it to work properly. Also the 10 cubic feet of space is awesome.

Im no electrical expert, but I believe the 8 amp draw is only when the compressor is running heavy at start up. I seem to get a 1-3 amp draw after it’s reached temp.
I don’t boondock for long periods so it’s hasn’t been an issue with us. When I had AGM batteries I could squeeze out 3 days, but barely.
Now that I have Lithium and bumped my solar from 200 watts to 400 I’ve never had an issue.
Old 01-24-2024, 05:21 PM   #9
V29
Winnebago Camper

Thanks for your feedback. Not worrying about level is significant. I may have to reconsider. You are correct. * amps only when the compressor is running. 12Vdc refrigeration draws apx 125-150 amp hours in a 24 hour period. It averages out to apx 6amps/hour.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redd22 View Post
I have the same fridge and had the same concerns when we purchased our coach.

With that said we absolutely love the 12 volt Norcold. It cools quickly and holds temps much better than our previous models and you don’t have to worry about being level for it to work properly. Also the 10 cubic feet of space is awesome.

Im no electrical expert, but I believe the 8 amp draw is only when the compressor is running heavy at start up. I seem to get a 1-3 amp draw after it’s reached temp.
I don’t boondock for long periods so it’s hasn’t been an issue with us. When I had AGM batteries I could squeeze out 3 days, but barely.
Now that I have Lithium and bumped my solar from 200 watts to 400 I’ve never had an issue.
Old 01-28-2024, 07:00 PM   #10
ACB
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by V29 View Post
I've finally learned the First Rule, join a forum and ask questions before a purchase!

So here it goes. This will be my second and possibly last RV - tend to keep stuff until EOL. I'm looking at ordering a Vista 29 this summer - it would be a 2025 model then. I just looked at it at the Florida Fairgrounds RV show in Tampa. I wanted around 25 feet, but storage and features are too limiting with RVs that size for my desires. So I will get a V29 unless some say watch out for .... The only item (so far) I have serious reservations about is the refrigerator! And it is a big one. Winnebago is implementing California and other state requirements across the board on their new designs - GOING 100% electric when/where ever possible.

The refrigerator (I believe it is a Norcold 10cuft) is now 120Vac with 12Vdc via an inverter. The consumption is 8 amps (DC) when the compressor is running. Having only 2 small batteries will not even give 24 hours of operation. That means that Winnebago is assuming one will be plugged into power 100% of the time and the batteries are only for travel time in between plug ins. That would be a red line for me as I go off-grid 80% of the time and I won't or can't (not allowed in some locations) run a generator when no power is available.

I was told by a "salesman" at the show that he had one in his driveway and ran it on batteries for over three days without plugging in. I know that is physically impossible. Frankly, It has to be a lie to make a sale. I have extensive knowledge in this area and the 2 batteries Winnebago provide have apx 55 AH of usable power (200AH total) before a recharge is required. Refrigerators of this type consume apx 125-150AH in a 24 hour period. This is mostly a direct result of the insulation R value. The compressor only needs apx 25AH if the R value is R14 or higher, but typically the R value is 4 to 5. R value range is 2.2 to 2.7 per inch of thickness.

So the question I have is - Does anyone here have first hand real experience with this situation and how long will the refrigerator run on JUST the batteries alone without being plugged in?

Also, if there is anything I should know, I am all ears. ' looking forward to being a productive member of this group.
TIA

For those that do not have this newer model, propane refrigeration is NOT Available or an Option from Winnebago any more on new models - V29 and all that follow across the fleet!
We have a 2022 Vista 29V. Purchased new in August’21. It has the 12V Norcold fridge.
First- we have 36,000 miles on it. Love the layout, and love the quality. Regarding the refrigerator:
The salesman lied. Our coach came with the single 100 watt solar panel and two NAPA batteries. The batteries were replaced two days after purchase. They were bad. Installed two new lead acid. We live in Arizona, and boondock frequently . The batteries would run down after 8 hours if we didn’t run the generator. We had Winnebago add a second solar panel. It still didn’t do the job. Replaced the lead acid with BattleBorn lithium. We can now dry camp in our land in northern Arizona for 4 days without running the generator ( unless we need ac or microwave. )

We recommend the 29V. We have had a number of items break but almost ALL WERE AFTERMARKET issues. Step motor, water pump, rear camera cable, heater control, propane regulator, but very little with the Winnebago build.

Hopefully this helps
ACB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2024, 05:39 AM   #11
V29
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACB View Post
We have a 2022 Vista 29V. Purchased new in August’21. It has the 12V Norcold fridge.
First- we have 36,000 miles on it. Love the layout, and love the quality. Regarding the refrigerator:
The salesman lied. Our coach came with the single 100 watt solar panel and two NAPA batteries. The batteries were replaced two days after purchase. They were bad. Installed two new lead acid. We live in Arizona, and boondock frequently . The batteries would run down after 8 hours if we didn’t run the generator. We had Winnebago add a second solar panel. It still didn’t do the job. Replaced the lead acid with BattleBorn lithium. We can now dry camp in our land in northern Arizona for 4 days without running the generator ( unless we need ac or microwave. )

We recommend the 29V. We have had a number of items break but almost ALL WERE AFTERMARKET issues. Step motor, water pump, rear camera cable, heater control, propane regulator, but very little with the Winnebago build.

Hopefully this helps
Thanks for your first hand info. It confirms what I already knew about DC power. I finally reconnected with the sales person and he did confirm his 29V had a lithium double power battery bank after I mentioned it to him as a possibility vs the standard 200Ah lead acid - DUH.

Unlike most RVers, 85% of my travels is off-grid - otherwise fly, drive, hotel, ... I choose to be comfortable in the woods vs in an RV parking lot with h20, elec, sewer connections and complaining that I don't want to disconnect.

Water and sewer every 2-3 days fits my travel plans fine. Propane refer allows staying where generators are not allowed or have limited run time. I'll have to investigate Lithium again because the 4-5 day run time is a viable option.
Old 01-29-2024, 06:14 AM   #12
ACB
Winnebago Owner

If Winnebago is now offering the lithium coach batteries that helps a lot. And if you have 200 amps or more solar panels you shouldn’t have an issue. When I went to the factory for repairs 20 months ago they didn’t offer that upgrade. The 12V fridge works better than we expected. We were used to propane/110 in our previous rigs. For us 10 CF of fridge is not a problem. We visited family in Washington state last year and parked our 29V on their property while visiting for 10 days. Rained and cloudy all the time and the fridge/batteries stayed good for the entire time ( with food in it). Nothing else was running but some minor parasitic draw from monitors.

Good luck with your purchase.
Old 01-29-2024, 09:41 AM   #13
Winnebago Owner

I agree with Redd22 and ACB. We have a 2021 29B, which is similarly equipped, and has an outside beer fridge as well. With just the two lead/acid batteries and the 100 watt solar panel, I've run them both without the generator for two days (in sunny mild weather) without running the batteries down below about 33% of charge.

The 100 watt solar panel generates an average of 400 watts/day, which is 4x the power required for the 10 cf, 12v fridge. It's all the other electrical stuff (like the inverter) that chews through the power. I'm pretty sure that if you add 2 or 3 solar panels and the LiPo batteries, you'll be able to boondock for quite a few days.

https://norcold.com/product/polar-10...-refrigerator/
Old 01-29-2024, 09:44 PM   #14
Winnebago Camper

We have a 2019 Winnebago 27N and love it. The smaller size allows us into a lot of places that would not take a 40' moho. We have upgraded the wet cell batteries that came with it to AGM batteries and they are great. They will give us about 4 days of constant use but we do turn the refer off throughout a trip for a few hours to gain even more battery use. WE have not had any problem with food going bad doing that.
We did add some steering after market equipment that makes it go down the road nicely unaffected by passing trucks or wind. We also added Kimo shocks and are about ready to replace our factory tires with Michelin radials which according to others will increase the comfort of our ride.
Its a great coach. The two of us plus our three Golden Retrievers do just fine.
Old 01-30-2024, 10:08 AM   #15
Winnebago Owner

We went for a brand new 2018 29VE..loved the layout and it had the gas/elec fridge..I have to say that we needed to add expensive swaybars to make the drivability issues. acceptable..In the 4 years of ownership the steps needed a new module..The roof AC motor replaced..the Awning material rotted away..the vynl sofa cover on the couch started to shred along with other niggling bits failing and a leaky roof that finally got fixed after many attempts......not trying to bash anybody, but we felt that the quality was just not there..unless things have improved you may be better off with a gently used unit or spend a bit more on a better known quality coach...... sorry for being so negative.....
Reniram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2024, 03:38 PM   #16
ACB
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reniram View Post
We went for a brand new 2018 29VE..loved the layout and it had the gas/elec fridge..I have to say that we needed to add expensive swaybars to make the drivability issues. acceptable..In the 4 years of ownership the steps needed a new module..The roof AC motor replaced..the Awning material rotted away..the vynl sofa cover on the couch started to shred along with other niggling bits failing and a leaky roof that finally got fixed after many attempts......not trying to bash anybody, but we felt that the quality was just not there..unless things have improved you may be better off with a gently used unit or spend a bit more on a better known quality coach...... sorry for being so negative.....
I don’t think you are being negative. Unfortunately, the industry markets and sells the lifestyle as something it’s not and never was ( in my opinion ). They sell this as a carefree lifestyle and these rigs never have been made like houses. Or even like a good pickup truck.
We’ve been motorhome owners for 35 years , 8 rigs and driven to all but two states and 250,000 miles. Our first FOUR class C rigs had no slides, no power steps, no microwave, no TV, cameras, or satellite or Sirius radio. So simple and reliable. We had a Winnebago Mini in 1996, had it 10 years. We had one window leak, and some cabinet latches break. And absolutely loved it. How we traveled in this with three kids and a German Shepherd for 10 years!!
Once we got our 2014 33 ft Forest River, with two slides, 4 TV’s, leveling system, bunk beds, three stereo systems , things went sideways.
I spent a lot of time fixing it, getting stuck, etc. I’m lucky. I am mechanically inclined.
I knew what I was getting into with my 2022. I knew all Ford 53 chassis, regardless WHO built on them, needed chassis upgrades.
But they don’t tell you Ford didn’t upgrade the majority of the chassis for over 30 years and the suspension is horrible . I knew this when I purchased it and planned on upgrades.
Again, the dealers don’t tell you this.
I’m glad there are forums like this where folks can communicate. This is probably my last rig due to my age, but I hope those who continue to roll down the highways continue to voice their displeasure and hopefully stir it up and force change going forward.

For me, I love my rig on the road and will keep going.

My best wishes to everyone, and I hope your good experiences out-way the bad.
Cheers!
Old 02-05-2024, 06:28 AM   #17
V29
Winnebago Camper

ACB,

I was new and naive to the whatever name one wants to use for the "RV" community. Starting with the manufacturers, dealers, service, parts, ... they all take advantage of that. But for the life of me, I do not understand how so many purchase so many (again) after what they have witnessed and learned. Just because it has wheels does not make it similar to any other industry that also has wheels.

I had a TT for only a 3 short trips before I sold it and purchased an RV 3 months later. Wife requirements. Both were Forest River. I should have realized then with the TT's 10 major design and manufacturing flaws! I am an OEM in the marine industry so I repaired/replaced over 70 warranty items on my RV with ZERO assistance from FR! I actually had to get a lawyer involved and WON!

So with all of this information now, I know how, what ... to look for. One would not think to have to check the headlights, doors, hitch wiring, air conditioning, windows, ... (too long of a list to continue) when purchasing (accepting delivery) a GM, Ford, or any automobile in todays marketplace.

I am only looking at a "new" RV because my traveling is not over, and ANY RV over 5 years WIL REQUIRE unexpected planned maintenance an an inconvenient time while traveling. Plus my 2017 FR interior looks like something out of a 1950s rerun. The new Vista style is appealing and would be a direct replacement for my 30 foot FR Class A. That said, the lack of a propane refr is feature I may possibly overlook reluctantly, but if the economics are inverted I may just keep my current FR.

The "same" class A is now doubled out the door (MSRP is nothing but a con game) what I paid only 5 years ago. And it appears the resale value of used has finally dropped significantly. I am not willing to spend 100K plus my RV for the same thing only newer. Not to mention the discovery and repair of manufacturing and warranty issueS all over again. I can fix a lot with the $100K! I just don't want to. I'm in no rush. I'll revisit it as i travel over the next 6 months.

From what I see here, the W community is much more supportive and the quality, although not even close to perfect, is better than FR across the board. Thanks to all that have provided valuable input!
Old 02-05-2024, 07:33 AM   #18
Site Team

Before buying my Winnebago new in 2017 I had a Forest River Forester 3150S Class C. I had purchased the forester new in 2015 and put 17,000 miles on with many trips. I try not to bash FR too much on RV forums but gladly tell people personally that my Forester was a piece of junk, inside and out.

I traded it for my Adventurer and lost $30,000. And to loose only that much I had to really work hard as the dealer wanted to give me much less in the trade.

Even for the money I lost it was so worth it to get rid of the Forester. Very happy day when I no longer had that thing in my care.
Old 02-05-2024, 08:26 AM   #19
ACB
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by creativepart View Post
Before buying my Winnebago new in 2017 I had a Forest River Forester 3150S Class C. I had purchased the forester new in 2015 and put 17,000 miles on with many trips. I try not to bash FR too much on RV forums but gladly tell people personally that my Forester was a piece of junk, inside and out.

I traded it for my Adventurer and lost $30,000. And to loose only that much I had to really work hard as the dealer wanted to give me much less in the trade.

Even for the money I lost it was so worth it to get rid of the Forester. Very happy day when I no longer had that thing in my care.
Before getting our 2022 Vista we had a 2014 Forester 3071. Maybe similar to your layout. We had it nearly six years, and 50,000 miles. I can’t say it was bad, it served us very well, very few everyday issues but when we had issues they were considerable. Both slides had track and motor issues, the wiring for TV’s and surround sound not wired properly, the body cracked from slide corners to floor line. Exterior storage bays took water driving in the rain.
That sounds like a lot and maybe it was over 7 years. Maybe not. From what I’ve seen on newer Forest Rivers I would not buy a new one.
Do I think our Winnebago is made better? Yes. Should it STILL be better? Yes. Having been to the factory for repairs twice I think they take pride in their work but know things get missed.
Just my opinion
Old 02-06-2024, 08:00 AM   #20
V29
Winnebago Camper

Cool Down Time Required

One last question re this electric refr - How does the initial cool down prior to use compare to the propane? Same, shorter or longer? For the propane, I start it the night before so it is ready in the morning for loading. It typically takes 8-10 hours at 80F. TIA again.

Tags
purchase