Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Class A Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 01-31-2017, 12:58 AM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

Considering purchase of Forza 38W--looking for opinions

Hi everyone,

I am new to iRV2 and I am retiring from the military in a year or two. I have been poking around the forum for awhile and have learned a ton from you all already. I'm in the process of doing my homework before purchase. I have a wife, 3 kids, and 2 large dogs and we are considering purchasing the Forza 38W to accommodate sleeping the family and a guest or two if need be.

1. Does anyone own a Forza and what are the pros and cons of this model?
2. I would appreciate any advice on extended warranties as well.

Thanks in advance.
HappiPappa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2017, 04:21 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

First off, welcome to the forum! Hopefully, during all of your poking you have discovered the value of these blogs.

We've had the smaller 34T for about two years now and are very happy with it. Living in Colorado, it does a great job pulling our toad up and down the "hills" without a problem. It is very comfortable and fun to drive. When the grandkids come along (often!), they use the upper bunk and couch bed. Form and fit (quality) of the coach is good, but not in the $250K plus levels of more expensive coaches.

Overall, we would buy again.
Old 02-01-2017, 12:37 AM   #3
Winnie-Wise

I don't have one, but Winnebago looks to have done a bang up job on this floor plan.
One thing to consider is what do you plan on using as a Toad? You only have a 5k lbs tow rating so you are stuck with that. If you have something big to tow then look at a bigger DP with a 10k lbs tow rating.
Just my .000000000000001 cents worth of advise.
Old 02-02-2017, 10:11 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

38W Forza

Welcome, and hope you'll enjoy the forums!

Wife and I had a 24V Navion, 4 months old, and when we realized we needed a bit more room for both of us and our Chocolate lab, we began researching. Loved the 38W and the fact that it had both baths, but due to our budget, we ended up getting a 36G last July. Still enamored with it, and still learning about it. It is a "home away from home", with wonderful roominess and lots of amenities for the money. Go for it!
GTobey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017, 11:30 PM   #5
Winnebago Watcher

Thanks

As always thank you all for your advice. Every opinion is beneficial. I appreciate you all taking the time to send me a reply.

V/r
HappiPappa
Old 02-05-2017, 12:11 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Also looking at the Forza W
Is it underpowered?
Want to tow Jeep Cherokee
gfmii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2017, 04:23 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

gmfii: Is it under powered - NO, the reason for the 5000lb towing limitation is that it has the Cummins 340HP engine which is coupled to the Allison 2500 trans. It's the trans that limits the towing capacity to 5000lbs in this case not the Cummins motor.
D Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 06:47 AM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Confused then:
The Jayco Seneca Hj (my other option) has the same 340 Cummins on the Freightliner chassis, w/ Allison 2500 - and can tow 10,000
Old 02-06-2017, 04:27 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

gfmii; you'd better double check that towing rating of 10,000lbs. The Allison 2500 is ONLY RATED to tow 5,000lbs. That's direct from the Allison web site specs.
Old 02-06-2017, 04:45 PM   #10
Winnebago Watcher

Surely the 2500 is rated to tow 33k gcvwr...it doesn't care if the road is 3k, 5k...etc...as long as the combined weight of rig and road isn't over 33k...at least that is my understanding?
gtsum2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 09:05 PM   #11
Winnie-Wise

Yeah I would triple check your info on the 2017 Seneca 37HJ:
Per their spec:
Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (lbs) 28000 Gross Combined Weight Rating (lbs) 33000

So your MAX Tow rating is 5Klbs.
Yes, it is equipped with a 10klb Tow Hitch but you can only have 33Klbs total weight.

Personally the

Freightliner Business Class M2 chassis—28,000-pound GVWR, 33,000-pound GCWR
Cummins ISB 6.7L 340 HP diesel engine
Allison® 2500 MH automatic transmission
10,000-pound hitch with 7-pin plug
74-gallon fuel capacity

is a much better setup IMHO, I wish someone would go back to making a FRED Class A.
Old 02-07-2017, 06:44 AM   #12
Winnebago Camper

Incidentally, Tiffin just released a 2018 Mercedes (think Winnebago View G) Wayfarer
Old 02-07-2017, 07:16 AM   #13
Winnebago Camper

This Forza "note" from Winnebago - should I be concerned:

"Floorplans feature a wide-body design - over 96." In making your purchase decision, you should be aware that some states restrict access on some or all state roads to 96" in body-width. Before making your purchase decision, you should confirm the road usage laws that interest you."

Again, thanks - its great to be able to talk to the actual owners !
Old 02-08-2017, 05:14 AM   #14
Winnebago Owner

gfmii, need to update your info on the 96" wide rule. The standard now and has been for some time because of a push by the trucking industry is that 102" wide is now the standard. This 102" rule DOES make exceptions for awnings also so they are not part of the 102" rule.
Old 02-08-2017, 09:01 AM   #15
Winnebago Camper

Ok, thanks
But they still print it in ;-((
Old 02-08-2017, 01:26 PM   #16
Winnebago Master

In the Forza vs Seneca debate, remember the Forza has the rear engine so less noise/ heat driving, a large front windshield with a much better view from slightly higher and is class A so can use resorts that a C cannot if you need that option. The Seneca is easier and cheaper to service the engine and any truck shop will likely welcome you. Both are similar spec wise and are very similar feature wise however the 38W has Res Fridge which for my money makes it the clear winner. Good luck.
bobmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 08:03 PM   #17
Winnebago Camper

Thank you, Sir ;-))
Old 02-08-2017, 08:16 PM   #18
Winnie-Wise

Happi, before you go to the Forza I have to put my 2 cents in and ask have you ever driven something 38 feet long? What do you know about air brakes? What do you know about diesel engines as they are expensive to maintain.

Do you know that the Adventurer (Gas model) makes a 38 footer if you know how to drive that long a coach. We have a 35 footer and it is super and has more storage space than the 38 footer.

Go to www.winnebagoind.com and click on products.

Good luck and welcome to the forum
Tom-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2017, 01:11 AM   #19
Winnebago Watcher

Tom,

I have driven large vehicles with air brakes...however, they were military trucks and the ride was definitely rough. We want something we don't have to worry about outgrowing. Additionally, my wife loves the 2 bathroom floorplan because guests don't have to come through the bedroom to shower. I did hear that you can't use both showers at the same time due to lack of water pressure. My wife also prefers the quite diesel ride vs. gas. The cost to maintain a diesel may be a little higher, but if it keeps my wife happy it is money well spent. Honestly, my biggest fear is how much the intangibles will cost ie. leaks, things breaking etc. I have read some horror stories on this forum and from what I have read extended warranties are also hit and miss.
Old 02-13-2017, 07:40 AM   #20
Winnebago Owner

Hey, HappiPapa! You're on to your answer right there. Keeping Mama happy. I have the 36G to "keep Mama happy". I agree with your evaluation about having a shower for guests. I can't answer about the 2 showers at once, however, my Oxygenics shower head allows me to wetdown and rinse off faster than the original. If you are hooked up at an RV park, unless you have poor flow from the park supply, I would think you could do two at a time. (At least military style!)

How far are you from Gaffney, SC? I'm going to Camp Freightliner this year, and looking forward to it! Check it out on Freightliner's website. Hope to learn a lot about my coach.

As a diesel fuel injection tech, I love the Cummins 6.7L, and happy with the overall Freightliner Chassis.
GTobey is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
purchase