Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-12-2020, 06:45 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Considering purchase of Itasca Suncruiser 37F

Hi, we are considering the purchase of a 2014 Itasca Suncruiser 37F, this will be our 1st MH moving up from a 5th wheel. Like to hear from any owners to share their experience (good or bad) to assist in the decision process. How is the quality of the Itasca brand? Any issues we need to be aware of? Thanks in advance for any help.
JerryS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 07:02 AM   #2
aa1ssradio

There were issues with the schwintek slides on the big slide out in 2013 and 2014 models. Make sure the problem has been corrected with the unit you are planning on buying.
Ranger Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 07:12 AM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Thanks. That is interesting. Hopefully, the dealer can tell us if the problem has been corrected. Jerry
Old 08-12-2020, 07:20 AM   #4
aa1ssradio

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryS View Post
Thanks. That is interesting. Hopefully, the dealer can tell us if the problem has been corrected. Jerry
Needs to be updated with the heavier duty tracks and motors. If it had a problem and it just gets repaired it is bound to happen again
Ranger Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 08:15 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

I wouldn't trust the dealer to tell you if the slide has been updated. Hopefully someone here, or perhaps Schwintek, can advise you (model #s, measurements, etc.). If it was a recall, it would be easier to track.
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 09:59 AM   #6
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobC View Post
I wouldn't trust the dealer to....
^This!
Don't trust the dealer PERIOD. They will say anything to get the "unit" sold.

Get on the RV. Start the engine (it must be running). Put on the Parking Brake (It must be set.) Autolevel the coach (It must be level before slides). And put out all the slides. One at a time. ALL THE WAY. Do not let up the slide button during the process - you need to hold the button down until the slide stops moving AND the motors stop fully. Sometimes they will whine when they "torque out." that's a good thing, don't worry.

They will creak and moan. They may BANG.

If you tell the dealer you are coming to look at the RV they may put the slides out for you in anticipation. IF they do that. Put them in (start engine) and then put them out again yourself.

Trust almost nothing the dealer says, no matter how nice or friendly or sincere the salesman seems.

The Ford chassis is "usually" never a problem. All the problems will be with the house side of the RV.

Look especially for any sign of leaks inside the RV from outside. Especially around the front cap of the motorhome.

Inspect the caulking all along the sides up high - you'll need a ladder or you'll need to get on the roof. Inspect the caulking where the front cap and the rear cap are sealed onto the roof. Front cap leaks are common all around that place where everything curves back into the sides and where the roof curves to meet the sides.

If you don't feel comfortable. Bring in an RV inspection guy of your own and do not let the dealer do the inspection. When given a list of things wrong make the dealer fix them before you purchase.

This is your best chance to get a great new RV. Slow down and do your best to keep emotion out of it. There are plenty of other Used 2014 Itasca Suncruisers out there for sale. You only want to buy the best one.
Old 08-12-2020, 12:06 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

Send a message via Yahoo to rk911
which year suncruiser?

2016 Itasca Suncruiser 38Q
rk911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 01:37 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Old 08-12-2020, 03:03 PM   #9
Winnebago Master

Send a message via Yahoo to rk911
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryS View Post

we have a 2016 38Q, Jerry...a similar model. it has been a LOT of trouble from day 1. i've logged almost 30 different issues..some major like the slides, some annoyances like the microwave/convection oven door not latching properly. we've replaced the bed's air matress..twice...and the lift motor on the mattress lift once. several water line leaks as well.

IMO these were all either sloppy quality control at the plant or poorly engineered systems. for example. the motorized night time windshield shade from Lippert would drop a fraction of an inch each time we'd hit a bad section of road. at the end of a multi-month trip the shade had dropped nearly two inches. i was able to reset the shade using the process in the manual but it happened again. i called Lippert and was told this was a known problem...the motor's brake was insufficient to hold the heavy shade. the fix was to replace the motor for something like $200. instead of replacing the motor i removed one of the two metal rods that help the shade keep its shape. problem solved. our dealer has been great...everything that they've fixed has stayed fixed.

maybe ours is just one of those 1% lemons...maybe not. this is our third Winnebago MH, the first two had the usual minor issues but were essentially free from major issues. i keep very good repair records. suggest you ask to review the maintenance and repair history. try calling Winnebago tech support, give them the MH serial number or chassis VIN and see if they have anything logged. i'd think any warranty repairs would be logged. also check to be sure any recalls have been addressed.

good luck.

2016 Itasca Suncruiser 38Q
rk911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 03:12 PM   #10
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by rk911 View Post
maybe ours is just one of those 1% lemons...maybe not.
I think individual RVs have their issues that don't necessarily apply to all others. Certainly, Schwintec Slides were famously problematic for ALL manufacturers back in the mid 20-teens.

My 2017 Adventurer 37F is not unlike the one the OP is looking at nor yours RK and while I had my list of issues, mostly minor so far, but I had none of the same issues you mentioned.
Old 08-16-2020, 07:02 PM   #11
Winnebago Owner

Hi -

I have a 2015 Itasca 37F, bought it new, lived in it more or less full time since the day we took delivery - been to alaska and back and a host of other places.

We still think we got the right one.

They all have some issues and some of which were quality issues out of the Winnebago factory, but in general the coach has been very good to us.

We have schwintek slides and they are a problem. However half the people that have them have no issue. I think the big slide (drivers side) is probably just too much for them. They seem to be fine on the bedroom (smaller) slide.

The thing to ask the dealer is "Are the slides power-gear or schwintek?". If he doesn't know he is a) lying or b) really dumb about motorhomes. I would tell him to .go find out. His service people will know. If they are are schwinteks think about taking another 8k or so off the purchase price. Last I heard that is about what it cost to get the slides converted at the Winnebago center in Forest City. Schwinteks have a real negative effect on Motorhome value - not just winnebagos, but tiffins and others as well.

Our big slide broke once and was fixed with schwinteks. The power-gear retrofit was not generally available. Its worked pretty good since.

Next time it breaks though we will make an appointment with the Winnebago factory in Forest City and set sail for iowa.

If you have any specific question I can answer, please feel free to ask.

Regards,
Jerald Pendleton
jrpend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2020, 05:30 AM   #12
Winnebago Camper

Will do. Thanks for your insight. Jerry

Tags
itasca, purchase, suncruiser