Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNIEOWNERS COMMUNITY FORUMS > Winnebago General Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 07-13-2023, 03:54 PM   #41
Winnebago Master

Well, we just got a bit of info on why we were missing a bill that we thought was due as we had used a toll road here in the Austin area!
Bah! It may be worse than I suspected as there are two DIFFERENT toll groups.
We had used a section of toll road on highway 183 which is on the East side of Austin. It used to be just state highway and is one of the more direct routes from my house to the Airport. Since flights and getting there are semi-critical we felt the toll road might be okay, even thought muchmore expensive?
So we got the Tex-tag for the windshield and found it did the job running across the East end of the Oklahoma turnpike! Fine, we can just drive through and they will deduct it from our advance deposited!

WRONG! When you use the 183 tollroad from highway 290 to highway 71 in East Austin, you don't get a bill, so where the Hell does it go?
There is a little local paper that handles local issues (impact magazine?) and it may have shed some light on our missing bill!

There are two DIFFERENT toll groups in this area! If you have the textag an dchip in the windshield, it may work fine and handy in other states like Oklahoma and Kansas. It also works on toll 130 as it sometimes gives quicker access to bypass Austin even though much longer and pretty expensive!

This is the map (as I understand the article?) which shows the idea?
Click image for larger version

Name:	toll.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	143.0 KB
ID:	186645

If you want to bypass Austin and have the Txtag, the red line is toll 130 and it seems to bill correctly? I've only used it one time as it costs about $12 to bypass one town!

But then if I want to go the shorter route and connect with toll highway 183 just a bit West of Toll 130, I can't use TXtag as it is a different toll group!
The article indicates that Toll Authority is the group who should have been sending me a bill for my missing trip!
And yes, the article does mention that they have had "some" billing problems and you WILL have to pay higher fees as well as late fees for any bill they have to mail!
So the big question becomes how much does it cost me to have used this five mile stretch one time, if they have not sent me a bill after several months??

Overall my basic impression of the area is that it should be blown up and possibly made into a landfill to hide the garbage!
It's damn sure no way to run a state!
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2023, 02:05 PM   #42
Winnebago Master

Just an update on using Texas toll roads?
Looks like I'm not the only one who has trouble figuring it out. We've been here around ten years and it keeps coming up to be fixed but apparently there is little real concern in the state house!

I'm with the guy in the article. I just stay off them when I can. The nonsence just keep rolling along!
No way I'm putting an RV and tow car on them!
The pass does get me across Oklahoma turnpike much better than flipping coins, etc into the machine.

Click image for larger version

Name:	toll.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	88.1 KB
ID:	187022

https://www.texastribune.org/2023/08...ment-problems/
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote