Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNIEOWNERS COMMUNITY FORUMS > Winnebago Lifestyle
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 08-05-2013, 09:08 PM   #121
Winnebago Owner

I typically run 62-63 on cruise, often pacing big rigs. But for every 4 that pass me, I pass one, not unusual to see a few running 59-61. If I slowly run up on one, I will pace them for a mile or so to make sure that are holding a pace slower than mine, then pass them at least a few mph faster than they are running, often kicking it up to 65-68 to get around. Then I hope they continue to fall behind me. Tougher decision on hills where I often can get up the hill quicker than a big rig. Do I pass, only to have him pass me later, or just bite the bullet and slow down to maybe 10 or 15 mph slower than I would otherwise climb the hill?
CJ7ole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 08:06 AM   #122
Winnebago Master

I am not going to slow down on the hills and lose momentum. I will pass him(full well knowing), that he will blow by me on the down hill. That is life on the super slab.
Izzyblueye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 08:11 AM   #123
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeP View Post
..."Then why do all you guys drive at under 60mph" I mentioned that the speed is 55 but the most important fact is that we pay our own fuel costs. You could see the lights come on ....
Sky_Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 02:23 PM   #124
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjeffrey View Post
We are fairly new fulltimers... only been living the lifestyle for a year. So far we have found the truckers on our travels to be awesome and do our best to extend the same courtesies to them.

We had one nice trucker top them all recently though. While both of us were refueling at a Pilot, the driver of a refrigeration rig came over and knocked on our door. He had delivered his load and had some damaged boxes containing undamaged single-serving containers of ice cream that he was going to have to throw away. If we had room in our freezer, we were welcome to have them for free. Thank goodness we had lots of room as it was Haagen-Daz chocolate fudge brownie! NO JOKE!
Great Story! Gonna keep an eye out for those trucks now and give them all the room they need. lol
Old 08-08-2013, 02:39 PM   #125
Winnebago Owner

I try to sta under 60 mph. Stay in the right lane on multi lane
Rds. Will pull over in a wide spot. If possible try to flash lights to let them by.
poppopc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 05:44 PM   #126
Winnie-Wise

I've been watching this one and feel time to add my 2 cents. I've been RVing since the late 1960's and can't or won't say anything bad about the truckers. To me they are courteous, give me space, and are pretty good people. I do agree they were a little more friendly in the good old days but then so were many other people. On this last trip I was in a lane that needed to merge into one lane to the right. I had my signal on and no one wanted to let me merge. A big rig maybe 10 -12 cars in front of me stuck his arm out the window and waived me forward. I passed up several cars and was able to safely merger because that trucker noticed I needed to merge. Just one recent example of my experience.
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 08:29 AM   #127
Winnebago Master

On occasion I have had to merge left due to a lane becoming a turn only lane. My signals were ignored by all 4 wheelers and yes some RVers. However, good truck drivers have offered to block his lane, one I needed into, and let me in ahead of him. I will be forever in debt to him. Sometimes it was at the last 1000 feet.
Old 08-09-2013, 09:32 AM   #128
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izzyblueye
On occasion I have had to merge left due to a lane becoming a turn only lane. My signals were ignored by all 4 wheelers and yes some RVers. However, good truck drivers have offered to block his lane, one I needed into, and let me in ahead of him. I will be forever in debt to him. Sometimes it was at the last 1000 feet.
X2 - I have never had a bad encounter with a OTR drivers on the road. And I have found them friendly at fuel stops as well.

On a recent fuel stop it was kind of funny. I had finished fueling and was sitting in the drivers seat. My BIL ran in for the receipt or something. He came out and we were ready to roll. All the while - the two drivers using the pumps on either side of me had been standing right in front of my rig - dead center talking up a storm. I kept my eye on the rear camera to make sure nobody came up behind me. We sat there, engine off, watching them for 7 or 8 minutes, maybe more. When they finally looked up and saw us, we all burst out laughing. They walked up to my driver window and we had a good laugh and they apologized several times. This is the kind of situation that could have gone another way. I could of air horned em, opened my window and hollered at them, etc. But I'm never in much of hurry and it cost me nothing to sit there and the laugh did us all good.

Who knows - maybe the next time these guys are around other drivers talking bad about RVers, one of these these guys will say - "one time I...". Of course that assumes they talk about us or think about RVers at all. They may think and talk about knuckleheads, but who doesn't. I get the sense that OTRs are defensive drivers, not defensive people. When they can make a hole, or are given one they do it / appreciate it, because they've been there, it makes the road safer for everyone, and traffic jam from a mishap ruins everyones day.
Just a thought.
Steve
flaggship1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 11:53 AM   #129
Winnebago Watcher

It is always related to the way you asked the question to them. If you had said that you like truckers and always appreciate their help, the answer had been most probably different.
You just aimed to the reply you had.
I always appreciated truckers, at least they know as well the difficulty of driving a big rig. And please if you see one coming behind you, move asap out of the way.
laurier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 09:17 PM   #130
Winnie-Wise

I've never had a problem with a trucker on the road or in a fuel stop. I just do what they do...flash them in when passing, flash thank you to them when they flash me in. And when I fuel up, I pull my rig ahead to let the next guy get fuel while I'm in paying for mine.
Old 08-13-2013, 07:43 PM   #131
Winnebago Camper

Just back from my first long trip in the MH, touring in the south. Lots of freeway time and thought a lot about this thread.
Seems that driving a motorhome is a lot like truck driving. Limited maneuvering and visibility, Power limitations especially on grades, the need to plan your maneuvers ahead and anticipate what is going on around you. The need to maintain your speed so you are not constantly braking and accelerating.
Truckers, and me, are frustrated by motorists who brake excessively instead of regulating their speed simply by taking their foot off the pedal, Make poorly planned and last second lane changes, zip around you then slow down in front of you because they don't want to be behind you, tailgate you when if they give a little distance they can see further around you, refused to change their sped or deliberately speed up so you can't merge etc etc.
I really have no complaints about truckers and how they drive. They are much more skilled and tolerant then the average driver.
I think that a certain amount of remedial driver training should be required say every 5 years or so to maintain a license.
People will hate that!
nomansland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 07:46 PM   #132
Winnebago Owner

^^ Please report back on your training. I'll pass and not slow down.
flaggship1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 11:28 AM   #133
Winnebago Owner

As a 20+ year retired over the road truck driver I have to say that I can not remember any problem with MH drivers, 5th wheel and TT - YES!!!!!!
D Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 09:25 PM   #134
Winnebago Owner

Most truckers are cool with me; they flash me in I and thank them back.
Old 08-19-2013, 03:34 PM   #135
Winnie-Wise

After reading many of the mea culpas about rv'ers annoying truck drivers for many reasons. It occurred to me that I have a bone to pick with some truck drivers.
I normally drive the speed limit plus a few and keep to the right. Most of my travels are in the west or in the mountains. For some reason a there are a few truckers feel that they should pull out to pass even though they see you coming. This is particularly annoying when they do it on mountain grades and have no hope of clearing the truck that think they would like to pass. So there you sit while the two trucks continue their slow race up the mountain.
I come from an era that Trucker were considered Knights of the Road and some still are. Unfortunately their ranks have been invaded by a bunch of non English speaking road hogs that could care less about anyone but themselves.
In the words of another great American, Rodney King," Can't we all just get along"
Pvt. E1 Retired, Shadow Hills,Ca.
Chuck 1935 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 06:10 AM   #136
Winnebago Master

This one of my biggest gripes on Truckers. The signs clearly state slow traffic remain in right lane, on the grade. Yet you will always have a bone head who thinks he can pass another semi rig and never gains an inch on him. In the mean time he has killed your momentum and the back up starts all the way to the top. I have even seen them after reaching the top pull back in behind the guy they tried to pass. AAAARRRRGGGHHHH!!
Old 08-20-2013, 07:51 AM   #137
Winnebago Watcher

Was wondering how long it was going to be before, the shoe would be on the other foot? There is no (legal)driver on the road that has any higher priority to be there then the other! Idiots on the road? YES
C&SL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 08:12 AM   #138

As with all the posts; I have spent a lot of time on the Black asphalt;; Before you complain.I had some 49 Employees. I expected them to work/produce when they were on the clock.. That being said. That truck driver is on the clock, any time he is in the cab, That my friend is his paycheck and puts food on his familys table. As an Rver. I have no problem slowing down and letting him do his job... This issue is NOT a new one. What I see is the problem. is the IDIOT that does not want any one ahead of him.. I say. If you want to be ahead of him , YOU should have left 5 minutes sooner;;. Driving is there job. and it seems so childish trying to down grade them... as there road/tax base is 100 times more then My/our 40 DP motorhome; so let them have the road WE are in the minority, and should accept it.. Life is good. Well most of the time..
bachler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 12:30 PM   #139
Winnebago Master

The tax issue has no merit of any kind. Everything you pay out comes right back down the line to the end user. Your drivers chose driving truck as a way to make a living, just as every occupation has it downside. Driving truck has it downside to. You have no more right than any one to the highway. Your profit does not ace my right to enjoy the life I worked for. I am the captain of my ship and as long as I am obeying the rules of the road you have no issue.
Old 08-21-2013, 02:24 PM   #140
Winnebago Owner

Driving on I87 yesterday through Albany. Perfect example of why Truckers hate RV's. Guy in 1990 vintage class A in the middle lane doing 45. Trucker - car hauler - got exasperated and passed him on the right after lurching around him.