Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNIEOWNERS COMMUNITY FORUMS > Winnebago Lifestyle
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 08-21-2013, 02:46 PM   #141
Winnebago Watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by bachler View Post
As with all the posts; I have spent a lot of time on the Black asphalt;; Before you complain.I had some 49 Employees. I expected them to work/produce when they were on the clock.. That being said. That truck driver is on the clock, any time he is in the cab, That my friend is his paycheck and puts food on his familys table. As an Rver. I have no problem slowing down and letting him do his job... This issue is NOT a new one. What I see is the problem. is the IDIOT that does not want any one ahead of him.. I say. If you want to be ahead of him , YOU should have left 5 minutes sooner;;. Driving is there job. and it seems so childish trying to down grade them... as there road/tax base is 100 times more then My/our 40 DP motorhome; so let them have the road WE are in the minority, and should accept it.. Life is good. Well most of the time..
The problem is there are a lot of crazy truck drivers and based on my experience as a road warrior it is usually the independents. They are paid by the mile so they feel they own the road. When was the last time one rode your bumper or cut you off or held up traffic because they had to pass another trucker because they were going a quarter oh a mph faster.
Old 08-23-2013, 07:40 AM   #142
Winnebago Watcher

I have over the road semi experience. I was still part time driving up until last month. With the latest hours regulations, it really makes the OTR drivers need to maximize their driving time. This means getting as far down the road as possible per work day in order to meet your delivery time. That means passing trucks that are just a little slower than you. Now when I was the slower truck, I'd back off for a moment to let the faster truck get by. But I have taken a mile or two to pass a slower truck because I couldn't drive any faster with the governor. I didn't like to do that but over a few days, those couple of miles an hour add up.

I feel that RV'ers could be licensed. I ran across more than a handful that I felt had no business being on the road. Some examples - running over curbs and or cutting into other lanes when turning, not knowing how to stay in a lane, sitting in the middle lane of an interstate (some OTR drivers do this as well), not maintaining a consistent pace (they don't know what a cruise control is, I guess), not looking ahead enough and or bothering to use mirrors (just not being aware of surroundings, I guess).

There are bad OTR drivers (many of whom have just gotten thru training and are cut loose by the trucking company too soon) and others that are just plain idiots.

But I'll tell you, the regular car drivers are the ones that really drove me nuts and /or scared the daylights out of me. I guess that would be another thread........

STUFF IN THE GARAGE: F150, ChevyII Pro Street, Roush Mustang
Jus Cruisin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 08:36 AM   #143
Winnebago Watcher

Not just truck drivers

My experience out on the road seems to show that it is not just truck drivers that are the problem, it is poor drivers. Being in a 60 foot long, 80,000 lbs rig just makes you stand out more!

I drive at or near speed limits when possible, my experience is that most do not. I will actually slow down when speed limit changes in construction zones, metropolitan areas, etc..most do not, and my doing so seems to irritate them. When driving the MH on interstates with 70 MPH or higher speed limits I DO NOT drive the speed limit for a variety of reasons (toad limit, handling, wind, etc), but being aware of this I stay to the right and use left lane to pass only when necessary, and in a manner not to impede flow of traffic, meaning I may wait for several miles behind a slower vehicle than me for the right opportunity. This all equates to courteous driving, most do not.

I recall what I learned in drivers education, I can just about quote my instructor, "the speed limit is just that, the maximum speed allowable by law, under ideal conditions in a properly maintained and equipped vehicle". Trailers with ST tires are not "properly equipped" to drive at 70MPH!

I have encountered as many dis-courteous car drivers as truck drivers, and more often than not a driver moving over to allow me on entrance ramp or to pull out onto a multi-lane road comes from a trucker not a driver of a car. That being said, I have had my share of rude truckers too.

Lots of people out there don't give a hoot about speed limits, signaling lane changes, proper following distance, passing in left lane, etc... Most appear to be hell bent on getting where they are going ahead of anyone else, and feel that anyone else out there that impedes that goal is in their way. My father used to call that attitude the "hooray for me and the hell with anyone else" approach.
trode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 08:05 PM   #144
Winnebago Camper

Well said, I agree with Jus Cruisin… RV drivers need to understand that for big rigs (semi or RV) the highway is a dance floor and all drivers need to learn to waltz.
Adjust your speed to what truckers are running at… always use your cruise control (if weather allows, never use it on snow and ice).
On an interstate I’ll pick one or two trucks who are running together at a reasonable speed… fall in behind them (3-4 seconds back). Have my lights on and waltz… uphill, down hill, through the city and out the other side… all at 60-65+mph. Next thing ya know it’s 2-300 miles later.
Want to learn to waltz… get your CDL (had mine 30+ years), attend a motor carrier defensive driving class.
Having your CDL lowers your RV insurance rates… saves you money.
Be safe… drive safe… learn to waltz…
RFritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 08:23 PM   #145
Winnie-Wise

WOW! So truckers now have more right to the road than everyone else? My taxes pay for the roads the same as everyone else. By the way, I do my best to stay out of truckers way, in a crash my 26,000 pounds would lose to most of them.

UFO Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 02:51 PM   #146
aa1ssradio

Maybe it ought to read " why do rvers hate truckers"

Had 2 almost side swipe me today and wipe out drivers side of RV
WHY . . . One was texting and other was leaning over to get something off floor
Ranger Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 02:57 PM   #147
aa1ssradio

Quote:
Originally Posted by RFritz View Post
Well said, I agree with Jus Cruisin… RV drivers need to understand that for big rigs (semi or RV) the highway is a dance floor and all drivers need to learn to waltz.
Adjust your speed to what truckers are running at… always use your cruise control (if weather allows, never use it on snow and ice).
On an interstate I’ll pick one or two trucks who are running together at a reasonable speed… fall in behind them (3-4 seconds back). Have my lights on and waltz… uphill, down hill, through the city and out the other side… all at 60-65+mph. Next thing ya know it’s 2-300 miles later.
Want to learn to waltz… get your CDL (had mine 30+ years), attend a motor carrier defensive driving class.
Having your CDL lowers your RV insurance rates… saves you money.
Be safe… drive safe… learn to waltz…
Why should I adjust my speed to what truckers are running at. Who made them GOD. Maybe they should adjust their speed to me and stay safe instead of pulling behind cars and tailgating them
Ranger Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 05:30 PM   #148
Winnebago Camper

Hi Steve, so do it your way...
I'd prefer to waltz with that endless stream of OTR truckers. Getting along with others on the road isn't hard and it makes life on the road so much more pleasant. Basic defensive driving logic. Go with the flow...
Ever watch a slug of traffic paced out nicely and maintaining a coordinated speed for many miles. Then coordinate blending gently as on ramp traffic does a gentle merge. Most LEOs watch for folks not peacefully dancing nicely with the other traffic... They create a hazard.
I call it the waltz... sorry you disagree...
Old 08-28-2013, 10:41 AM   #149
Winnebago Camper

IMO we shouldn't white wash every one for the actions of a few.
A few years ago I had a tire start to separate, caused a bad vibration.
I pulled off the road, and off the shoulder to investigate, B-4 I got to the back of the unit a semi had pulled off to help me.
Good and bad RV and Semi drivers...
ronnie_g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 02:03 PM   #150
Winnie-Wise

We had an interesting experience the other day on I84 in ID. It appeared that a local was towing a junked large truck chassis and it broke loose, a tractor trailer then ran it over, the tractor slid, jackknifed and the cab almost rolled under the box.....driver was darn lucky. In any event the crash blocked the highway but an exit was right at the crash site so everyone was directed off the ramp and into the entrance ramp a short distance away. Cars, trucks etc were merging right, you know, first one then the other lane, keeps things moving. As my turn came I put on my directional signal to pull to the right but the trucker to my right just blasted ahead, I swerved back left and he made nasty gestures as he passed....nice guy, great driving.....by the way , we caught up to and passed him a few miles down the road...
Old 08-31-2013, 09:33 AM   #151
Winnebago Master

I drove a big rig for quite a few years in my youth and can explain some of this. Often climbing a grade one is rapidly overtaking another big rig but when one pulls out to pass loses the momentum. Hard to judge.

This happens because there is a vacuum behind another rig that breaks the wind in front of the second rig. Then, after pulling out to pass, when losing the vacuum the second rig slows down and cannot complete the pass.

The problem is that it is very hard to judge whether you have the power to keep the momentum up.

Another problem is that on a hard pull, following another big rig can cause you to lose air to the radiator and the engine to over heat. Pulling out into clean air solves the problem.

I always try to keep in mind that these folks are out there trying to make a living and I'm usually on vacation.
Cooperhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 10:23 AM   #152
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooperhawk View Post
I drove a big rig for quite a few years in my youth and can explain some of this. Often climbing a grade one is rapidly overtaking another big rig but when one pulls out to pass loses the momentum. Hard to judge.

This happens because there is a vacuum behind another rig that breaks the wind in front of the second rig. Then, after pulling out to pass, when losing the vacuum the second rig slows down and cannot complete the pass.

The problem is that it is very hard to judge whether you have the power to keep the momentum up.

Another problem is that on a hard pull, following another big rig can cause you to lose air to the radiator and the engine to over heat. Pulling out into clean air solves the problem.

I always try to keep in mind that these folks are out there trying to make a living and I'm usually on vacation.
Now that is a great explanation of the difference between a Rookie and a Professional driver !!
Pvt. E1 Retired, Shadow Hills,Ca.
Chuck 1935 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 09:13 AM   #153
Winnebago Master

O ne of the best explanations I have heard yet. I will remember that the next time it happens. Not being unreasonable, you are doing the same thing to me. I can't get around you, you have the lane blocked. I have the power to go up the grade, but can't. It comes down to a simple equation of a judgement decision. You know from being on the road every day what the percentages are that you can pass. Let's just be fair - just sayin
Izzyblueye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 09:39 AM   #154
Winnebago Camper

Thx Cooperhawk, nicely stated.
Those issues exist with every RV driver too. Even though I’m a little RV guy... I’m still 45’ long, 12’ high and 102” wide... not a shrimp next to a Smart Car or Ural cycle. It’s wind, road grade and weight vs HP, torq and temp that’s life on the road.

On up-hills I look at my speed , rpm and temp (trany and oil), knowing if you have the HP and torq before pulling out to pass takes experience and training. Also, makes a big difference if the OAT is 65 or 105.
On level or rolling hills I run with those OTR guys and pace off them... usually 2-3 mph above the posted truck speed limit. If my speeding is too slow for some they’ll just have to go around. Most States have slower speed limits for OTR rigs on inter-states. In old days some States had RAP (reasonable and prudent) daytime speed limits. Doing 100+ (Billings to Miles City) while running MT does eat both fuel and tires. (I was young and dumb back then)

My biggest problem is with DOT design which doesn’t have dedicated lanes for Interstate through traffic. Or worse when they use Interstate hwys as local access freeways, over loading them with gross numbers of on and off ramps. Ever watch a car come on the right-side and try to exit 2 miles later off the left-side after crossing 5-6 lanes of heavy traffic going 60mph. They have only 2 minutes to safely force their way over to that left exit lane... designed craziness. I’ll get off my stump now...
Drive safe, be safe and hug your kids...
Old 09-01-2013, 10:12 AM   #155
Winnebago Watcher

Just finished 7200 miles in 9 weeks with our TT and a few things I do-
I do 55 to 60 period.
I mostly use the right lane, may use the middle of 3 in a city to avoid on-ramp problems.
I have been known to pull over to the shoulder to let 5 or 6 cars get around me on 2 lane roads.
I pull over to let on-ramp traffic on the road if I can without blocking the left lane.
I pull over to the left lane if a cop other occupied vehicle is on the right shoulder
If a big rig passes and he is struggling with cars behind, I flash my lights when he has enough room to come over (usually get a thank you with flashing tail lights)
If a big rig passes being stupid and I see he is head on to another vehicle and WE may have a problem here, I slow down and let him get around BEFORE a problem develops.
I pass very few others but when I do, I do it so as to impead no one (I'm retired, not in a hurry).
I avoid the Interstates if possible. We enjoy the back country roads and hiways
THE JOURNEY IS AS MUCH OF THE TRIP AS THE DESTINATION.
Slow down. relax and enjoy the trip.
Too many RVs I see (worst are 40' DPs and yes I drive those too) are hell bent for leather going down the road and I suspect that speed is part of the tire problems on TTs.
As was said, TTs with ST tires are not 75 mph vehicles.
Cliffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 09:27 PM   #156
Winnie-Wise

Well today it happened after over a million miles of driving !!
I was east bound on I-40 near the Painted Desert and I was passing an east bound CR England flatbed hauling Pods. I was doing 70 mph and he was doing a bit less (the limit was 75 mph). As I passed him I glanced over toward him and he was flashing me his IQ. Dumbfounded, I got on th CB and asked what that was for ?
His answer was that he didn't like Motorhomes and especially didn't like people from California. I was stunned never having that happen to me before from a professional driver. After a brief chat and opting to not put him in the ditch I kept on my way with a new found disrespect of one weak minded moron.
Old 09-09-2013, 09:41 PM   #157

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck 1935 View Post
Well today it happened after over a million miles of driving !!
I was east bound on I-40 near the Painted Desert and I was passing an east bound CR England flatbed hauling Pods. I was doing 70 mph and he was doing a bit less (the limit was 75 mph). As I passed him I glanced over toward him and he was flashing me his IQ. Dumbfounded, I got on th CB and asked what that was for ?
His answer was that he didn't like Motorhomes and especially didn't like people from California. I was stunned never having that happen to me before from a professional driver. After a brief chat and opting to not put him in the ditch I kept on my way with a new found disrespect of one weak minded moron.
There is always one in the crowd.
TRAILERKING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 06:33 AM   #158
Winnebago Master

You should have re-arranged his facial features to prove to him that you are as bad as he thinks you are. I had a trucker throw a full can of 7-up out his window in an attempt to break my windshild for passing him on a hill in Tennessee. I followed him almost to Chattanooga, ( I was headed to Gatlinburg), trying to get him pulled over. He would not stop. Called the Highway Patrol, they never showed up. I guess they figured they would not be able to proove anything.
Izzyblueye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 09:19 AM   #159
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izzyblueye View Post
You should have re-arranged his facial features to prove to him that you are as bad as he thinks you are. I had a trucker throw a full can of 7-up out his window in an attempt to break my windshild for passing him on a hill in Tennessee. I followed him almost to Chattanooga, ( I was headed to Gatlinburg), trying to get him pulled over. He would not stop. Called the Highway Patrol, they never showed up. I guess they figured they would not be able to proove anything.
A splendid idea Izzy, but seeing this is the beginning of our trip, I was not anxious to get the mrs. too cranky. You know how that goes. If the guy was 12 feet tall, had a knife, sword and an atomic bomb, my DW would have told me how mean I was to that nice man !
Ah, but it's a beautiful day here in Gallup, so it's all peace , love and Teddy bears !!!!!