Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-22-2013, 02:00 PM   #61
Winnebago Watcher

I think truckers feel they own the freeways. Have you ever been behind 2 trucks and one pulls out to pass and he is going a tenth of a MPR faster and neither of the /(&; are any where near the speed limit so they back up traffic for miles.

What about the trucker in the fast lane doing 10 mph under the limit.

I am for more trains and less truckers.
Old 07-22-2013, 02:13 PM   #62
Winnebago Watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denniscw View Post
I am for more trains and less truckers.
That the way it was until Eisenhower built all these darned interstates.
Old 07-22-2013, 02:15 PM   #63
Winnebago Camper

I'm starting to think that I may be a latent trucker, only more so...I hate EVERYBODY on the road 'cause they obviously think they have as much right to be there as I do.

Who do they think they are, anyway?
Francesca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 02:43 PM   #64
Winnebago Camper

Coming from a truck driver here is just a few

~Driving 55 on the interstate
~Driving in the left lane for no reason
~Parking right up by the bathrooms at a rest area so you can sit inside and use your own
~Rest areas with slides out

That being said, a few things to make the relationships better

~Flash headlights once driver has cleared you when passing, when its done for you, thank them by flashing clearance lights, 4-ways- or 2 flashes left and 2 right

~Give the truckers the better spots at rest areas and truck stops they are out at work trying to make a living, we are not

~If fueling at the diesel island at a truck stop get in a line and stay in it, fuel up and as soon as full pull up so the next truck in line can pull up, go in pay for fuel or get receipt, then go park if you want to shop/eat

~Left lane is for passing

~If a truck is passing you very slowly more than likely he is riding his governor, so just back off the throttle a sec and let him by.

~A simple "That's a pretty truck" / "I like your paint job and chrome" / "I like all the chicken lights on your rig" / "Thanks for all you do driver"

Remember a lot truckers want to retire and buy a RV so they are more like you than you think

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck 1935 View Post
If you go to the thread " Cheap handling fixes" and " What speed do you drive " , you will find the answer to Why do truckers (and Chuck 1935), dislike Motorhomes.
Old 07-22-2013, 02:53 PM   #65
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHRA225 View Post

... I've had conversations with the folks and for the most part they don't resent us if we stay out of their way....

And I wouldn't resent them if they would just stay out of my way!

Soap box = ON

And being on the job as an excuse is just as ridicules! We have all put our time in on the rock and had things to deal with. That's life, get on with it, or get over it!

And yea, they may pay more road taxes that I do, but, guess what, they do a heck of lot more damage to the roadways and bridges than I do, too! They are not special just because they think they are! And I just don't have time for the ones that think they are!

Stopped at a Subway off of I-40 the other day and it took five minutes longer than it should have because there was this little old lady that took forever to order and then to count out her change to pay for her sandwich. Maybe little old ladies shouldn't be allowed in Subway!

Soap box = Off

My guess is that the 20-80 rules applies here, just like most everywhere else.

I must be getting grumpy in my old age! Oh, well!

H

hdossett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 03:22 PM   #66
Winnebago Owner

Back in about 2004 or 5 we just pulled onto the expressway and were leaving Ogden Utah heading north. The DW was finishing up straightening things in the DS kitchen and I was settling in behind the wheel. All of a sudden the tractor trailer in front of us slammed on his brakes. I had to do the same. The DW tumbled forward and hit her head and cut her arm on something. I didn't know what or why he hit his brakes but he did. Just about the time we somewhat recovered he did it again. I passed him and saw that there was no traffic in front of him. It was then that I realized he hit his brakes on purpose.

Yes I know she should not have been standing but you name one couple who at one time or other does not stand up and walk around your MH while traveling. It's always best to stay seated but there are times when it's good to get out of the seat and do a potty break without stopping. We have even made coffee or at least heated some in the MW while traveling.

It takes all kinds of people to make up a world. Some are happy and some will never be happy.

TeJay
Old 07-22-2013, 03:34 PM   #67
Winnebago Watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlovitt View Post
I almost always use cruise control to minimize speed changes. I also always "flash in" truckers once they're clear of me when passing. Some acknowledge; most don't.
Me too. Many, but not all, truckers are loners. I don't think all of them socialize very well or deal with anyone who's different very well. Our taxes paid for the Interstates that created their jobs. So don't worry if they like you or not.
Oldedit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 03:49 PM   #68
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeJay View Post
Back in about 2004 or 5 we just pulled onto the expressway and were leaving Ogden Utah heading north. The DW was finishing up straightening things in the DS kitchen and I was settling in behind the wheel. All of a sudden the tractor trailer in front of us slammed on his brakes. I had to do the same. The DW tumbled forward and hit her head and cut her arm on something. I didn't know what or why he hit his brakes but he did. Just about the time we somewhat recovered he did it again. I passed him and saw that there was no traffic in front of him. It was then that I realized he hit his brakes on purpose.

Yes I know she should not have been standing but you name one couple who at one time or other does not stand up and walk around your MH while traveling. It's always best to stay seated but there are times when it's good to get out of the seat and do a potty break without stopping. We have even made coffee or at least heated some in the MW while traveling.

It takes all kinds of people to make up a world. Some are happy and some will never be happy.

TeJay
He's a lucky man he didn't do that to me. He would be regretting his stupid move to this day.
Pvt. E1 Retired, Shadow Hills,Ca.
Chuck 1935 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 04:30 PM   #69
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck 1935 View Post
He's a lucky man he didn't do that to me. He would be regretting his stupid move to this day.

If I see you at a campground I'm bringing you a glass of Scotch
Old 07-22-2013, 04:42 PM   #70
Winnebago Owner

Yep, I thought of all kind of bad things I wanted to do to him but it would not have turned out very well. Besides how was I to stop him?? Maybe I could have followed him until he stopped. I only got about 9 MPG and he probably got less but he probably had twice the fuel that I had so it could have been a long trip. If life is fair?? he probably eventually pissed off the wrong person and got his reward.

TeJay
Old 07-22-2013, 04:47 PM   #71
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeJay View Post
Yep, I thought of all kind of bad things I wanted to do to him but it would not have turned out very well. Besides how was I to stop him?? Maybe I could have followed him until he stopped. I only got about 9 MPG and he probably got less but he probably had twice the fuel that I had so it could have been a long trip. If life is fair?? he probably eventually pissed off the wrong person and got his reward.

TeJay

That's the thing, there is ignorant stupid truckers, there is also ignorant stupid RV'ers look at how many dump stations there are at rest areas now, hardly any because idiots didn't know what a sewer hose was. Stupid people make all the good normal people look bad
Old 07-22-2013, 06:20 PM   #72
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by F239141 View Post
That's the thing, there is ignorant stupid truckers, there is also ignorant stupid RV'ers look at how many dump stations there are at rest areas now, hardly any because idiots didn't know what a sewer hose was. Stupid people make all the good normal people look bad

We have put about 10k on in the last year, both on interstates and secondary roads. Have I made a few boners? Sure....anyone that says they are a perfect driver is a perfect liar But......I have to say that there are just as many jackasses in RVs, as in Trucks and cars.....OK maybe cars have the majority
Old 07-22-2013, 06:42 PM   #73
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by F239141 View Post

If I see you at a campground I'm bringing you a glass of Scotch
I would be glad to join you for that glass of that Scotch. By the time we had our fifth one we would have the world straightened out and then some.
Old 07-22-2013, 06:49 PM   #74
Winnebago Camper

U-2 Pilot

Do you think you got your question answered??

jack r
Jack R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 08:48 AM   #75
Winnebago Watcher

Ok, I figure this thread has about covered everything, but I'll throw in my penny worth... I've been a trucker off and on over 30 yrs,(still am) an RV'r for 2 now. I have NO problems with rv's, at least no more (actually a lot less) than any other traffic. I will give you all the room you need, and if it takes me a few seconds longer in my day, so be it. Life is too short to worry or get upset about a minute or two here or there. Since this thread was about "truckers", I'll say I am Very dissapointed the way things have gone, as far as drivers, but then again this world/country is not what it used to be... Please don't judge all truck drivers by the actions of a few,,, or people in general for that matter... There are still good people in this world,,, although hard sometimes, try to overlook the bad ones... I'll treat you as good (or better) than you treat me, be it on the road or in the camp ground.... (I don't drink scotch, but I always have a cold Bud in the camper if you meet us, I'll share !!! )
Monkey
monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 09:00 AM   #76
Winnebago Watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by nctox View Post
Heck, that annoys the [Moderator edit] outta me, and I'm not a truck driver.
I don't need to be in a RV or a truck to annoyed by that and it happens all the time. I set the cruise at a decent speed and try to pass, then all of sudden they realize they have more gas pedal. But I'm the guy who'll run you to triple digits if need be. Most people in cars give up at 80.
Whatnobeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 09:15 AM   #77
Winnebago Watcher

I try to follow the same rules as the truckers. Forty four ft MH with a tow, I take up as much road as they do. I set my cruise when possible (60-62) and enjoy the ride. No need to hurry and I seldom drive more that 300 miles a day. I have noticed that fewer truckers acknowledge when I flash them in. I do get the impression they don't like us, but then again while they follow certain speed laws I have seen a number of RV's going at very high speeds, not driving defensively.
tranquility is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 09:44 AM   #78
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by tranquility View Post
I try to follow the same rules as the truckers. Forty four ft MH with a tow, I take up as much road as they do. I set my cruise when possible (60-62) and enjoy the ride. No need to hurry and I seldom drive more that 300 miles a day. I have noticed that fewer truckers acknowledge when I flash them in. I do get the impression they don't like us, but then again while they follow certain speed laws I have seen a number of RV's going at very high speeds, not driving defensively.
Exhibit # 1, I rest my case!!!
Old 07-23-2013, 01:42 PM   #79
Winnebago Camper

The thing about any road is that they are public and for use by any public person using any kind of vehicle, and except for highways, even bicycles.

As a former bike racer, it is awful how many motorists have utter disrespect for cyclists and sometimes even endanger the cyclist by deliberate dangerous manoeuvers.

I can only imagine how difficult it must be sometimes for truckers to share the road with others. I still find it hard to believe how many people driving small cars pull in front of trucks and RVs and suddenly slow down making it difficult or dangerous to slow down without hitting them. Happens all the time on city roads too. I would think as a trucker that'd be a lot more annoying than RVers.

It seems to me that driver training to get a licence is inadequate and could be more comprehensive for all the driving situations that can be encountered out there. Also, once you get your licence you can throw the rule book out the window and make up your own rules unless you get caught. Personally, I think drivers should get re-tested maybe every 5 or 10 years. If you don't pass, no licence renewal. Too many drivers of passenger cars and trucks don't have respect for anybody else on the road or the rules of the road.
myredracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 01:58 PM   #80
Winnebago Watcher

I have family who are long distance truckers and the main problem they have is bad driving habits of RVers. Not all, but enough to make truckers wary of all RV's, they can't see the expertise of a MH'er just by looking at them. And I must admit, I too -- as an RVer-- am amazed at the poor driving skills of some RVers.

Part of it is age; many RVers are older (including me) and reaction times and perception decline. Then there is experience, some RVers have no real large vehicle driving experience and it screws up those on the road that respond based on experience. And yet, we share the same road.

This is not a blanket gripe at all RVers, there are many who are excellent drivers. But there are enough to give all MHers a black eye with truckers. They aren't too happy about some of car drivers either.

== John
JohnCamelot is offline   Reply With Quote