Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Heating, Cooling and Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 01-13-2024, 11:22 AM   #21
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigeDuner View Post
I guess you missed post #12 where I said I found the location of the converter and the BIM.
Acutally, I didn't miss that info, but hoped to find more details in the 3D Parts catalog. I realize it was somewhat redundant but I was hoping mostly to see the path you would need to take to reach the converter.
Old 01-13-2024, 11:54 AM   #22
Winnebago Owner

The 3D parts viewer you posted must be the later model (as you said) when the residential fridge became an option. If this option was chosen, I believe more batteries were included (4 total for the coach) and the 2K inverter/charger was provided. Since I have the early 2017 model which came with the gas/electric fridge, Winnebago must have figured a 1K inverter and stand alone converter/charger was sufficient. And they were right until somebody decides to install a residential fridge. So, my project begins.

Again, thanks for your insight and the links to the 3D parts viewers. I definitely have found the info needed to make the transition to Lithium batteries - al least the first pass at it.

TD
Old 01-13-2024, 01:26 PM   #23
Site Team

Exactly, I have the 2017 Adventurer and it came with the Residential Fridge option which also included two more batteries (400ah total) and a 2000 watt inverter. Luckily there was also a Solar option which came with a 100w panel and PWM controller. I upgraded this to 3-100w panels and a Victron MPPT controller.

Then in April 2022 I replaced the AGM batteries with two Renogy 200ah LFP batteries. I disconnected the BIM completely and installed a Victron DC2DC charger and Amp-L-Start to handle it's two most common used functions.

If I was installing only 200ah of LFP I would have used the LI-BIM... and it may have been a good choice even with 400ah. I don't find the DC2DC charger invaluable for the way I use the RV. If I boondocked for more than 4-days at a time then, yeah, it would be nice to have. But the most we dry camp at a time is 3-days so, our LFP batteries are not that run down by the time we move to a new site.

We love our 3-door Whirlpool fridge and are glad to have it. And, having a 2000w inverter/charger not only can we power the microwave off of the batteries, but it also has a more powerful 80 amp hour charger than a standard converter can provide.
Old 01-13-2024, 09:30 PM   #24
Winnebago Owner

So based on your comment, should I use a converter with an 80 or 100 amp charger rather than the 60 amp that I was considering? If I did use a higher amp charger, about the only thing I may need to change would be the cables to the batteries. I suppose it is something to consider.
Old 01-14-2024, 06:37 AM   #25
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigeDuner View Post
So based on your comment, should I use a converter with an 80 or 100 amp charger rather than the 60 amp that I was considering? If I did use a higher amp charger, about the only thing I may need to change would be the cables to the batteries. I suppose it is something to consider.
You’re probably going to be fine with 55-60 amps. My inverter charger rarely goes that high and I have twice the amp hours. Plus you need to find out the max rate your chosen battery can charge at.

Tags
fridge, power, shore power