Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Heating, Cooling and Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 11-09-2022, 02:42 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Stove red warning light on?

Went into the trailer to check on things after having recently powered off the electrical, covered the trailer and we had a decent amount of rain. Everything fine, except the red lights on the stove knobs all were red.
What powers these lights? Battery is disconnected, no solar, no shore power.
I connected the battery. Lights went off?
I suspect everything is fine (normal), but I’d like to understand whats going on.

Thanks,
- steve
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	0AF542E8-7F93-4B3A-9582-B27DCF25E4FB.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	271.6 KB
ID:	184606  
SactoSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2022, 12:20 AM   #2
Site Team

Hi Steve,
Could you please provide the model number of your Suburban Range?
Thanks, Eagle5
Old 11-10-2022, 10:11 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

The provided manual is for all SRN, SRS models.
I am of the opinion the knob lights are being powered by the solar when the battery is disconnected.
Old 11-10-2022, 10:19 AM   #4
Site Team

Yes, I found that all models manual, and it didn't mention self-illuminated control knobs.
They are kinda cool.
Perhaps check to see if they go out tonight?
Old 11-10-2022, 02:13 PM   #5
Winnie-Wise

Does the switch on the front of the cooktop that turns the knob backlighting on and off make any difference? Seems to be a pretty simple circuit. +12V comes in and goes to the switch. From there it goes to the knob backlight LEDs. I guess the issue is where is the +12V coming from if everything is off and the solar panel is covered? Hard to say how they may have wired your RV.
Bones2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2022, 03:34 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

Weird theory based on not knowing?
Is this maybe some type of safety item? Does the igniter work when power is of, so that they would want to build in a safety warning to let you know turning on the burners might get you gas but no flame?

Another point that stays powered, even if the battery disconnect is off, like the CO and propane detectors, ?
Morich is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2022, 09:25 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

I noticed the same thing on mine. Had the same thought process as you. I am also curious why this happens.
Trax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2022, 09:54 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trax View Post
I noticed the same thing on mine. Had the same thought process as you. I am also curious why this happens.
I'm certain the power source when battery is disconnected is from the Solar. I've opined on this before.
http://https://www.winnieowners.com/...ml#post3926058
The drawing is my 'thoughts' on how the system connects. More a schematic than a wiring diagram. I have not "rung out" the wiring.
It would explain a lot of the behavior we're seeing and at least partially the stove knob lights. I'm no EE but I suspect there is some circuitry which could block the illumination in nominal conditions (knobs in the off position and nominal voltage/amperage available) but allow enough 'leak through' in very low volt/amp situations to illuminate the knobs? Probably a more sophisticated explanation exists.
Anyway, I've chalked it up as "just the way it is" and not a concern. (for now)

-steve
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	FLX Elect.jpeg
Views:	63
Size:	100.7 KB
ID:	184645  
Old 11-22-2023, 08:30 AM   #9
Winnebago Camper

Stove Light Just started staying on

The Suburban Elite Stovetop "On" Light has just started remaining on on my Stovetop. I have turned off propane and bled the line. No propane or flow present. I can't make it turn off like it used to when I'd turn the knob to "off". Nothing looks loose when I visually inspect under the drip pan. Sometimes it'll start flickering. It does stay illuminated when the propane is flowing and I'm using the burner.

Anyone solve this issue, or am I destined to visit the Dealer?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0908.jpeg
Views:	21
Size:	60.6 KB
ID:	187939  
Old 11-22-2023, 09:42 AM   #10
Site Team

Hi Amazonica,
Are not these Red Lights just nifty illumination, or do they come-on when you turn-on the stove? Since this Thread was started a year ago, I have added a safety measure to my stove to prevent it from being accidentally turned-on:
Suburban Gas Range Accidentally Turned-on
Thanks, Eagle5
Old 11-22-2023, 09:46 AM   #11
Winnebago Master

Well at least Suburban has a 2-yr warranty, I did an extensive search, this is the only website that mentions backlit knobs: https://highskyrvparts.com/suburban-mfg-stove-3654a
Perhaps a call to them for an explanation of how/why they work will be fruitful.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA. "We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution." Abraham Lincoln
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2023, 11:46 AM   #12
Winnebago Camper

Thank you RayIN and Eagle5.
Eagle5, on my Suburban Elite, the Red light around the knob should only come on when the burner is lit, on go off immediately once the know is turned to "Off". There are nifty lights, but they are white and light up all of the knobs. There's a switch for the knifty lights located between the piezo ignitor knob at the far left and the first burner knob. I have a call into Suburban to see what they recommend.
Old 11-22-2023, 03:05 PM   #13
Winnebago Owner

I have this same phenomenon with our trailer. Same year and model. If I remember correctly they turn blue when on under normal conditions/use. The only time I saw them red is in the winter with the battery removed. I don’t know if it’s some kind of indicator there’s no power? Not sure if there’s any power wired to them to begin with. I just ignored the red lights and have had no issues.
Old 11-22-2023, 03:21 PM   #14
Winnebago Camper

Thank you Trax. I appreciate your reply. I'm plugged in to 30A at a park. No power issues or bumps. My stovetop doesn't have blue lights, just white and the Red "in use" lights. Luckily I've determined it's not a safety issue with the propane. My motivation is to get it fixed while I'm still under warranty.
Old 11-22-2023, 03:35 PM   #15
Winnebago Owner

I may be wrong on the color of the lights but it sounds like our circumstances are different I am curious about what yo willu hear from Suburban so please update us if you get an answer. It may help explain why we get the red lights with no power or gas. I was alarmed as well last winter when I got inside to check on things and the knobs were glowing. I had no shore power or battery and no propane so other than some confusion I just decided to ignore it. Never experienced it while using the trailer.
Old 11-22-2023, 04:15 PM   #16
Winnebago Camper

Smile

Will do Trax. I imagine I'll hear back after the Holiday. Have a good Thanksgiving.
Old 01-10-2024, 07:10 AM   #17
Winnebago Watcher

Did anyone find a solution or root cause to this? I am having the same issue on my Suburban Elite gas range in my 2022 Minnie 2801BHS. All three backlights are lit red when all knobs are in the off position.
Tjchapmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2024, 07:32 AM   #18
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tjchapmy View Post
Did anyone find a solution or root cause to this? I am having the same issue on my Suburban Elite gas range in my 2022 Minnie 2801BHS. All three backlights are lit red when all knobs are in the off position.

Here's my update. This was my situation, yours may be completely different. Originally, my Suburban Stovetop had red lights that came on only when the burner(s) was lit (in use), turned off immediately when the gas at the knob was turned off. No lights came on when disconnected from battery or loss of power. I had white lights that I could turn on or off with a switch. I called Winnebago and was still in my Warranty. Took it to a Dealer (DeMontrond which was FANTASTIC in helping me).

Turns out mine was a LED light failure. Again, yours may be different. Winnebago sent a whole new light harness and now my lights are blue. They no longer come on automatically. I tend to turn on the (now blue) lights when I'm using the stovetop and off when I turn the burner knob off. Winnebago was very concerned that this was a safety issue and STRONGLY recommended I get a pro to look at it. Mine was not a propane issue and I was told that this "Red light auto-on at gas flow" has been a common problem and Suburban is doing away with it. I never did reach Suburban.

Here's how my lights look now. They do not come on automatically.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_1061.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	177.7 KB
ID:	188187  
Old 01-10-2024, 09:50 AM   #19
Winnebago Owner

FLX only

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tjchapmy View Post
The original discussion relates ONLY to the Winnebago FLX line implementation, and (perhaps) even then only to the original 2022 models. There has been quite a bit of knowledge exchanged and captured on this board. I noticed in this thread I incorrectly linked to a previous post. https://www.winnieowners.com/forums/...ml#post3926058 this link should work correctly.

The “problem” results from there being no way (implemented) to isolate the solar charger from the 12 volt circuitry (details in above link). So when the solar charger is generating, power is fed to 12 v components.

Hope this helps?
-steve

Tags
light