Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-13-2010, 10:46 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Replacing Stove/Oven with Stove top & Drawers

I am looking to replace the combination stove/oven with a stove top and storage drawers. Did several searches but haven't found anything. Has anyone done this modification? If so, did you have a cabinet maker do the woodwork, get cabinetry from Winnebago, or do it yourself? I really don’t have the skill to do it myself, so any advice and suggestions will be appreciated.
Mr_Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 10:19 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Mr_Bill,

We planned to do the same thing and even bought a cooktop to replace the cooktop/oven combination in our coach. We have since decided to go all the way and completly remove the cooking unit and install a new one piece counter top. We will then use induction burners and electric skillets. We never use the oven and didn't use the cooktop all winter in FL. About the only thing it's good for is catching crumbs. I'm going to put a door with low pull-out drawers for the cooking utensils. I'm doing my own work with the help of some wood working friends, but any competent carpenter could do the job. I've seen new coaches with the setup you're seeking that use drawers below the cook-top so I'm sure Winnebago has them. They will probably be very expensive though.

Good luck with your project.

Dave
Old 06-14-2010, 04:20 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

I just finished replacing the oven/stove with a drawer kitchenaid dishwasher and stove top. I had allready had replaced the microwave with a convection model. I had to enlarge the opening about 2" but it up and working and no leaks.
Old 06-14-2010, 03:16 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

I would venture that the oven is the most expensive item on an RV when divided by hours of use! The cook top would be next. The new induction cook top units produce no heat and are so easy to clean that I am wondering where the industry is on this issue. Just reading the owner's manual on how to light the oven is enough to make my back go out let alone my hair.
inspectorudy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 03:22 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

We did the opposite when we bought our coach in 2008. I had the dealer, Tom Schaeffer in PA, pull out the draws and stove top and put in a stove/oven combo. DW likes to cook and we like to eat great home cooked meals. When feeding 3 teen boys, going out to eat can add up. She uses the oven AND the convection microwave at the same time.

You may want to see if your local RV dealer will do the switch. Our cost was about $1000 for both the new oven and the labor.
RVing for 19 years & 150,000+ miles
RVThere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 10:39 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

Just starting to look into this, and found this old thread. My wife mentioned that she'd like drawers instead of the barely used oven. We bring a toaster oven because it's simpler. Mine was available with and without the oven. I'm not sure I want to get prices on the two drawers that would replace the oven from Winnebago. Maybe two doors and build out the interior of the oven "cabinet"? Could store a toaster oven in it. Ahhh, the irony.

Anyone out there without an oven want to trade? Portsmouth Oak interior.

tderonne is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 09:54 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

We finshed the project pf removing our cooktop/oven and installing an oak counter-top and drawers behind an oak door. I had a carpenter make the wood parts and purchased drawer slides and installed them myself. It is easy to add a few peices of wood to mount the drawers. I made a floor to mount the bottom new drawer and I kept the drawer that was below the oven by taking the front off it and now have 3 drawers behind the new door. The top drawer is mounted to the sides. I even went all the way and bought self-closing drwer slides....expensive, but nice.

I have a cook-top and an oven cook-top combination left over.

Good luck,
Dave
Old 10-25-2011, 08:43 AM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Oven replacement

We had Lazy Days do this for us last year. They removed the oven unit and installed a new stovetop and 2 additional drawers. Total cost at that time was $750.00.

We do any baking in the convection oven and the additional drawer space was important to the dw. We do have the dishwasher and drawer space was at a premium.
royinflorida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 08:49 AM   #9
Winnebago Watcher

same thing, same place !!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVThere View Post
We did the opposite when we bought our coach in 2008. I had the dealer, Tom Schaeffer in PA, pull out the draws and stove top and put in a stove/oven combo. DW likes to cook and we like to eat great home cooked meals. When feeding 3 teen boys, going out to eat can add up. She uses the oven AND the convection microwave at the same time.

You may want to see if your local RV dealer will do the switch. Our cost was about $1000 for both the new oven and the labor.
We did the same thing one year later - and at the same dealership !!
I don't use the oven on every trip but there are others in our group that count on my oven for some of there dishes.
KSDP_PA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 08:59 AM   #10
Winnebago Camper

Well, dog gone it....now you a;; have got me thinking about my next
"improvement' project.

I "never' use an oven. I am gonna measure the toaster oven in storage to see if it will fit inside the oven. If so, then I will just figure out how to run the cord up and out the back to the 110v outlet.

I do like a "crispy" piece of left over pizza, and a few other things slowly heated.
OK...OK... thanks for the 'food for thought'.
Old 10-25-2011, 04:09 PM   #11
Winnebago Watcher

I just did the opposite! Removed two drawers and installed a ccooktop/range combo. I still have the drawers and cooktop. Should be an easy project as you only need to add center divider between drawers, add the slides to side supports. The cooktop is same dimensions as the range. Mine, even the same screw holes. good luck.