Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Heating, Cooling and Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 03-12-2024, 08:32 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Dash A/C not working 2019 Sunstar 29VE

I wasnt sure what forum to post this. I have a 2019 Sunstar 29VE. We arent getting any cool air from the dash A/C. No idea how to diagnose. It worked last year but hasnt worked this year since we headed south.

If there are some simple suggestions to diagnose, I would appreciate it. If not, would a mobile tech be able to diagnose?

Thanks.
Old 03-12-2024, 09:14 PM   #2
Site Team

Hi marudnick,
In this case, I doubt a mobile tech would be the best bet. You are going to need a shop that can repair air conditioners, and that has the specialized equipment. A Ford dealer or a specialty shop that works on Ford Air Conditioners would be your best bet.
From the sound of things, you have sprung a Freon leak.
Eagle5
Old 03-13-2024, 08:27 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

Has the MH sat unused for years? The normal loss of refrigerant may be the issue. My MH had sat for 8 years when we bought it and all the refrigerant had leaked out. I bought a can of R134A at Walmart that had a gauge on the hose, followed directions and filled the system to the gauge marks. That was in 2013 and since we use the MH regularly, I've never had to add more refrigerant_yet.
Without knowing the brand of your dash air unit I offer this for your reference:

Evans Dash HVAC System service manual

Heavy Duty Air Conditioning Service Manual
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA. "We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution." Abraham Lincoln
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2024, 09:30 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
Has the MH sat unused for years? The normal loss of refrigerant may be the issue.
No. We used it as recently as last fall. I cant specifically remember when the dash A/C last worked but Im sure it was sometime last year.
Old 03-13-2024, 10:24 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

One of those service manuals gives the normal rate of loss for refrigerant, even with regular use.
Personally I'd risk $35 and try using the gauge and can of R134A, if the gauge says it's low follow directions until the gauge reads full and stop.
One sign the refrigerant is low; the clutch on the compressor will not lock-in to turn the compressor.
There is noting unusual about MH dash air conditioning, the components are the same as for cars and pickups. This means any auto air conditioning shop has the ability to work on your MH dash air.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA. "We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution." Abraham Lincoln
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2024, 11:54 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Ray,

Thanks for your comments. I think this is beyond me. I looked in the engine compartment and couldnt tell where the A/C is located or where there is a place to add refrigerant. Unless anyone can give me an entry level guidance on this, Im afraid Ill have to take it to a service center.
Old 03-14-2024, 01:01 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

Entry level guidance?
Got some of that as it takes a bit of looking without having to know more than what a radiator hose looks like!

There are times when the AC seems to stop working but the real problem can be that it is working but at the same time as the heater, so you never feel the cool!

If you take a look at the radiator hoses, there is likely to be two that go into the big box under the hood where the parts for the heat and air are hidden. That is one line takes hot water into what looks like a small radiator inside the big cover. The other hose lets the water come back out of the small radiator and on to the rest of the coolant system.

Idea is that when you want heat, you set the controls for heat and it opens a valve along that pair of lines and the blower blows air past the hot water in the small radiator under the dash so that you get warm/hot air inside.

Different systems use different ways to move this valve but one method is vacuum lines that get brittle over time.
This is shaky info, so it needs checked but if you look along those two hoses and find a valve with some method to open and close it, you may want to make sure it moves when you change the controls inside!

Not usually a small tiny thing but has openings in and out for radiator hoses to connect and let water run through?
This is a link to some that Auto Zone sells as examples but there are at least thirty different looking, so just a place to start for what to try to find?
https://www.autozone.com/cooling-hea...0D8rcC5F_3RJbA

If it has vacuum lines going to it, check them for breaks or cracks along the sides.
One test may help? If the valve is open and letting water go through, both in and out will be hot, but if the valve is closed, check for one hose way hotter than the other after the engine has time to get warm?

If it happens to be like the one pictured, you may be able to see the linkage move up and down when controls are changed?

Entry level but maybe also too old to help!! Cheap, though!
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2024, 01:04 PM   #8
Site Team

The best way to approach this issue, in my way of thinking, is to drive the RV to an Automotive A/C repair shop and let them diagnose and fix the problem.

Someone like: Wayne's Service Plus in Providence.
https://waynesservice.com/service-Au...ingRepair.html

There is not a huge difference between RV dash A/C and automotive systems.

Tags
dash