Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Plumbing | Systems and Fixtures
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 07-29-2007, 01:59 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

I have a '03 Sightseer. The manual that came with it says it has the following tank capacities: fuel 60gal, fresh 75gal, black 36gal, gray 46 gal. The window sticker says: fuel 75gal, fresh 75gal, main 41gal, aux 40gal. When I back flush, It takes alot longer to fill the gray. What gives...any ideas as to the correct quantities???
Old 07-29-2007, 01:59 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

I have a '03 Sightseer. The manual that came with it says it has the following tank capacities: fuel 60gal, fresh 75gal, black 36gal, gray 46 gal. The window sticker says: fuel 75gal, fresh 75gal, main 41gal, aux 40gal. When I back flush, It takes alot longer to fill the gray. What gives...any ideas as to the correct quantities???
Old 07-29-2007, 02:22 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

For what it's worth, the 2003 Winnebago brochure (available on the Winnebago website)shows the fuel capacity at 75 gal, fresh water 75 gal, black and grey both 40 gal. I think I'd go with the window sticker.
RVJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2007, 03:03 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

I too would tend to trust the sticker more than the manual. Manuals are often printed before final design and/or to fit more than one model.

BTW ...you don't need to totally fill the tank to back-flush it ...and not sure there is much if any need to back-flush the gray tank anyway. I have a built-in flush on the black tank. I run several gallon into it, pull the drain, close and and run several gallon into it again, pull it again, etc. When the dump water is fairly clear (I use a clear elbow so I can see what is coming out), I close the valve again and run water into the black tank while I dump the gray so the bottom of the tank if covered with liquid. I have never flushed my gray tank.
Old 07-29-2007, 04:46 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

I see no need to "fill" the black tank when you back flush ... just get the bottom flushed out ... and no need to "flush" the grey tank ... it is filled with shower and dishwasher water ...

Could this be one of the reasons for the long lines at the dump stations (at the non-full hookup parks)?
skigramp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2007, 06:26 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

I too vote for the window sticker. My Itasca manual has been incorrect several times.

The other documents I'd consider accurate: the placard under the driver's window, w.r.t. tire pressure, VIN,...; and the factory weight sheet. The weight sheet is specific to your rig, as built. Don't use it to replace actual weight from a scale.

'04 Meridian 36G
JonD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 01:32 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

skigramp,
The question was about which tank information was correct. NOT, about how to back flush. But, since you brought it up, I flush my tanks at home. I have a sewer cleanout at my curb that I dump and flush into. The whole point of having a bathroom with you when you drive is so you can use it right? If you dump and flush at the campground, you can't use it for the drive home.
Old 07-30-2007, 01:41 AM   #8
Winnebago Master

rick,,,don't want to argue,,
"If you dump and flush at the campground, you can't use it for the drive home."
I think you meant to say,,if you DON'T dump and flush at the campground, you can't use it on the way home.
ichn2go is offline   Reply With Quote