Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-23-2007, 10:45 AM   #1

Hi again, everybody!

Ok, here's our next question:

I must use too much TP *looks all embarrassed*

We noticed that there was a "glob" of TP just below the throat of toilet tube leading into the tank.

We thought it funny because we knew the tank was registering empty so it couldn't be because of a full tank.

DH took a broom handle and inserted it down the tube in an attempt to clear the mass. When the broom handle passed the end of the tube, within about 5 inches, it hit bottom. So he just started swirling the broom handle around to try to break up the mass. I think he's got it just about cleared.

Our question is, how is a black tank configured? We thought it was a "deep" tank. That it just dropped down into a deep cavern when the toilet is flushed. Is it a shallow tank that is very wide? Or is there a "shelf" before the waste is dropped down into the tank itself? We were just surprised that the broom handle hit a solid surface within about 5" from the end of the throat tube leading from the toilet bowl.

Can anybody explain to us how a blank tank is configured?

Thanks!
amanda_h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2007, 10:45 AM   #2

Hi again, everybody!

Ok, here's our next question:

I must use too much TP *looks all embarrassed*

We noticed that there was a "glob" of TP just below the throat of toilet tube leading into the tank.

We thought it funny because we knew the tank was registering empty so it couldn't be because of a full tank.

DH took a broom handle and inserted it down the tube in an attempt to clear the mass. When the broom handle passed the end of the tube, within about 5 inches, it hit bottom. So he just started swirling the broom handle around to try to break up the mass. I think he's got it just about cleared.

Our question is, how is a black tank configured? We thought it was a "deep" tank. That it just dropped down into a deep cavern when the toilet is flushed. Is it a shallow tank that is very wide? Or is there a "shelf" before the waste is dropped down into the tank itself? We were just surprised that the broom handle hit a solid surface within about 5" from the end of the throat tube leading from the toilet bowl.

Can anybody explain to us how a blank tank is configured?

Thanks!
Old 07-23-2007, 10:54 AM   #3
Winnie-Wise

Go to the Winnebago site. Look up the plumbing for your RV. on there download site.

This will show where your tanks are and all the plumbing.
2010 Ford Flex
rvten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2007, 12:00 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

I don't know the exact depth of the tank, but they are 'shallow', meaning about 6-9" deep maybe.

There are a couple suggestions on keeping a black tank flowing freely. 1) use single ply toilet paper. CW sells it as does WW, and single ply Scottissue is OK too. 2) after dumping always put about a gallon or so of fresh water back in the tank. This will keep the bottom of the tank moist and not allow solids to build up and dry on the bottom.

If you dump before driving, and then add the water, it will actually self-clean the bottom of the tank and liquefy solids and paper.

Do not use formaldehyde-based tank deodorizer. Only knocks down the smell, and doesn't do anything to liquefy the waste. There are enzyme-based tank deodorizers which will work better. Dump the prescribed amount in after dumping the tank and when adding the water.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Pusherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2007, 12:49 PM   #5

Thanks Tom and Don!

We looked at the plumbing diagrams on the Winnebago site and did see that the tank is not deep but shallow and long. I don't know why we thought it would be deep ...that wouldn't make sense at all if we had thought about it a bit.

Yes, we do use Scott's one ply "RV safe" paper and also a non-formaldehyde liquid.

I guess it's really a matter of using less paper. I can't have the luxury of being at home. It's back to the old rule when I was growing up: one square per **** and use both sides!! My dad was a frugal penny-pincher.

Thanks again! This forum is terrific!
Old 07-23-2007, 12:54 PM   #6
I helped | retired moderator

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">guess it's really a matter of using less paper. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

......or more water.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2007, 01:31 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

I personally believe that you cn't use too much water. Once I learned to use more water we have never had another problem. If we are in one place the two of us get the tank to 3/4 in 4 days. We don't boondock so we don't conserve with black tank water.

When we have guests I tell them if they think they used enough water....fill the bowl and flush again.

Leave the single sheet of toilet paper use for Sheryll Crow!
Cousin Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2007, 02:28 PM   #8

Thanks Dirk and Ed!

Yep, we have to get in the habit of using more water than we do but still, less paper ...or not using a lot of paper at once. I think using paper, flush, using paper, flush, etc. would be the more logical way to do it if the job needs that much paper.

That's right, I forgot about the Sheryl Crow controversy. Yup, my dad didn't give a hoot about saving trees, he just didn't want to spend a fortune on TP for a big family.

Thanks again!
Old 07-23-2007, 04:03 PM   #9
Winnebago Master

Amanda:

You've gotten good advice. If you use much paper, you've got to use enough water to keep it from causing a problem. My wife and I both use a fair amount of paper but we always fill the bowl about 3/4 with water. We have never had a problem with paper stopping up the works and we use Charmin or Northern ultra.

We've also had good results with the little Oxychem holding tank bags from Walmart.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2007, 09:25 PM   #10

Thanks, Gary!

So you use those TP brands without any problems? They dissolve acceptably? We were tempted to try something other than one-ply Scott as we wanted something softer but were scared they wouldn't dissolve as well as Scotts.
Old 07-24-2007, 04:49 AM   #11
I helped | retired moderator

I have also found that filling the bowl about 1/3 to 1/2 full before use helps greatly with the flush.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 05:28 AM   #12
Winnebago Camper

We have used the Scotts 1 ply for years, and it works well for us. Using enough water when flushing helps too. Make sure that you don't dump your black tank until it's pretty full. One problem we have noticed is that if the MH is a little out of level side to side, and the "toilet end" of the tank is the high side, it takes a lot of water in the tank to float whatever is directly under the toilet. If the TP is wet, it seems to float away as the tank fills. If the TP is allowed to dry, then there's a big problem.
Non-RVers don't know the fun things we get to talk about

2005 Itasca Meridian
John Mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 05:47 AM   #13
Winnebago Master

Just to make sure - you are leaving the black tank valve closed and dumping when it's close to full aren't you?

Below is a list of TPs and their disolve rates you might be interested in.

Brand Dissolving Time in Seconds
(lowest is best)
Charmin Plus 1-Ply 9
MD 2-Ply 9
Coronet 2-Ply 12
Angel Soft 2-Ply 12
Scott 1-Ply 17
Soft 'N Gentle 1-Ply 18
Soft Weve 1-Ply 20
Marcal 1-Ply 20
Soft 'N Gentle 2-Ply 21
Seventh Generation 2-Ply 21
Quilted Northern Super 2-Ply 69
Charmin Ultra 2-Ply 77
Cottonelle 1-Ply 96
Charmin 1-Ply 180

The TPs with an Excellent disintegration rating from the Consumer Report Aug 2000 article are:

Albertson's Soft Choice Ultra
Safeway Select Softly Ultra
Quilted Northern Ultra Soft
Quilted Nothern Soft Prints
Target
Kroger
Angel Soft
Charmin Plus with Unscented Natural Aloe
SoftWeve
Old 07-24-2007, 09:28 AM   #14
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by amanda_h:
Thanks, Gary!

So you use those TP brands without any problems? They dissolve acceptably? We were tempted to try something other than one-ply Scott as we wanted something softer but were scared they wouldn't dissolve as well as Scotts. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Absolutely no problems. We keep the BW valve closed and dump when it is 2/3 to 3/4 full. Of course, the great tank flush valve that Winne has certainly helps clean and flush the tank.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 09:41 AM   #15
Winnebago Owner

We use a Charmin brand (same as the house) and have had no problems yet. I do make it a habit of hooking up to the flush valve and flushing the tank really well everytime I have sewer hookups.

Just to make the flush a little easier I added a clear connector to my dump connector so I could see the color and amount of the waste coming out. If I have sewer hookups I will run the flush until I get a fairly clear run off coming out of the Black tank, also I have a visual as to when the tank is empty.

2002 Brave 34D
JnGOnTheGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 01:30 PM   #16
Winnebago Camper

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">
We were tempted to try something other than one-ply Scott as we wanted something softer but were scared they wouldn't dissolve as well as Scotts. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
If you are familiar with COSTCO, their Kirkland brand TP is 2-ply, recommended for septic tanks (which we have at home), so we use it in the trailer, too. It works very well and dissolves. If you don't have COSTCO available, any "septic safe" TP should work as well. As others have suggested, partially fill the bowl with water before you flush, just as your home toilet bowl has water in it.

2002 Thor Tahoe 23FBGL TT, 28'
Paul Heuvelhorst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 04:17 PM   #17
Winnebago Owner

I have been turning on the black tank flush before I open the dump valve. I think it helps to stir up the black tank holdings and makes for a more complete dumping of the tank. Then follow up with a continued fresh water flush. It is convenient then to put a few gallons in the empty tank so that nothing can dry out.
Oh-one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 04:40 PM   #18
Winnebago Camper

After draining the black tank (and closing the valve) I always fill the bowl 3 times and dump it in the now empty tank. I also add a big swig of PINE SOL to the water.( The original flavor, not the scented)
This is a great alternative to the chemicals that are sold for the holding tank. We have been using this for years and it does a good job with odor control and is much more reasonable priced!!

Another way of avoiding the TP getting stuck... do not put it in the bowl... We have a little trash can (with walmart bag as liner) where it gets deposited in and emptied daily. It works!!

Adventurous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007, 08:36 PM   #19
Winnebago Master

Well..... Having just had the basement access panel off running my solar conduit.. The tank is sloping (not "slop" ) from the shallow end where the toilet drop is, to the opposite side of the coach where the dump drain is.

What you're experiencing is a variation of the dreaded black tank "pyramid" which while sounding funny can really ruin the weekend. Cure: There's a fine balance between making sure the pyramid doesn't form, and using too much water. You just need enuf to wash things down the slippery slope to the other side.

Also check your (edit) EMAIL

Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350
SCVJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007, 08:51 PM   #20

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Adventurous:

Another way of avoiding the TP getting stuck... do not put it in the bowl... We have a little trash can (with walmart bag as liner) where it gets deposited in and emptied daily. It works!! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

FrontRangeRVer is offline   Reply With Quote