Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Plumbing | Systems and Fixtures
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 04-22-2020, 07:38 PM   #21
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cover Dog View Post
Have used Sam’s Club Members Mark going on our seventh summer and have never had any issues with our black tank.
Do you have a macerator?
Old 04-22-2020, 07:40 PM   #22
WinnieAdven38

These TT tests have been done for years by a number of RV Youtube bloggers always achieving about the same result. The septic safe tissues from Walmart, Costco, Scotts, etc all disintigrated well within a few hours. The tissues which actually performed the worst were the RV specific, expensive ones which most people likened to sandpaper.

Just remember that it is not only the TT used - but how you use your black tank. Use lots of water with it, only empty when mostly full, and use a good biologic / enzyme treatment in it to help break down wastes and paper, and never use harsh cleaners such as bleach because they will kill the good bacteria in the tank needed for good biologic action. (Just like if you had a home septic sysytem)
HappiHenri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2020, 07:41 PM   #23
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coffee View Post
I have been using Kirkland brand from COSTCO. It claims to be septic safe, and I have had no issues. Has anyone done a similar test with that?
X2-- The PO of my rig used the Costco brand for 3 yrs with a family of 5 and no problems; so, not wanting to re-invent this particular wheel we followed his lead. The rig does have a very robust after-market rinser so that probably helps a lot. If the line behind me at the dump station isn't too long, I usually back fill the black tank to about 1/2 tank of fresh water with the rinser and then pull the dump valve ...... 2 or 3 times. Seems like everyone has their own system that works best for them.

Interesting test, Wyatt; thanks for posting. You sure generated lots of interest.

Good times and safe travels ....... soon, we hope.
youracman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2020, 07:42 PM   #24
WinnieAdven38

Yes - we have used that and it worked well. Right now we use Walmart brand because it has also worked well for us, and we can buy it in much smaller packages than the huge pack of rolls which Costco sell.

In many Youtube RV Blogger videos the TT tests have been done for years, and Costco and Walmart papers have always performed well.
HappiHenri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2020, 08:57 PM   #25
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyatt View Post
Ok, I’m bored, so I’m running a test between two popular RV toilet papers, and a third one for home use.

All “say” septic safe. I used the same amount of paper in terms of length, and measured the thickness (I folded each one in 3rds) with a micrometer.

I also used the same ratio in the jars that I’d find in my black tank, using Thetford’s Aqua Kem.

I’ll post the results when I see how these break down. In the meantime, let the jokes roll in...
Now that is really being bored... 1 step up from watching grass grow....😳😄
SaltLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2020, 09:28 PM   #26
Proud “No Intent” Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltLife View Post
Now that is really being bored... 1 step up from watching grass grow....😳😄
Yep, but we have had no rain, so even our grass isn’t growing...
Old 04-22-2020, 10:01 PM   #27
Proud “No Intent” Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappiHenri View Post
These TT tests have been done for years by a number of RV Youtube bloggers always achieving about the same result. The septic safe tissues from Walmart, Costco, Scotts, etc all disintigrated well within a few hours. The tissues which actually performed the worst were the RV specific, expensive ones which most people likened to sandpaper.

Just remember that it is not only the TT used - but how you use your black tank. Use lots of water with it, only empty when mostly full, and use a good biologic / enzyme treatment in it to help break down wastes and paper, and never use harsh cleaners such as bleach because they will kill the good bacteria in the tank needed for good biologic action. (Just like if you had a home septic sysytem)
I’ve seen a lot of those tests too. And many of them were being posted by people who have relationships with the company their supporting.
Call it kick backs, if you will.

That’s why I took a more diligent approach, IMHO.
First, I used the same ratio of chemical that we use in our RV.
Used the same length for each sample
Used a micrometer to see the difference in thickness.
And finally, did NOT shake the bottles. Why? Because is reality, our rigs aren’t being shaken around that much in a campground.

The Scott brand came out ahead of the rest. That said, I haven’t tried them all, yet.

The reason I did this, while I had the time, is we too dislike how paper thin the standard “RV specific” papers were.

Their not ALL like “sandpaper”, they just are too thin, again, IMHO.

I’m going to keep up the samples, until I find the best.
Old 04-22-2020, 11:39 PM   #28
Itasca owner

I use only Costco tissue and have used the house brand and also the Marathon brand they sell. Both came through my shaken jar test wtih flying colors.
Old 04-23-2020, 03:58 AM   #29
Winnebago Watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leander Mark View Post
I don't know if this has been mentioned yet, but here is the results from another test of non-RV specific toilet paper.

Happy Camping!
This is the second test I have seen where Charmin broke down better than the rest. Being that it is my wifes favorite I will be swtching to it from now on.
Harleyfltri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2020, 04:52 AM   #30
wmbuchan1

Thanks for taking the time to do that for all of us!
wmbuchan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2020, 06:44 AM   #31
RV2
Winnebago Camper

Some may disagree

Some may disagree, much of the problems seen with holding tanks are due to ‘owners’ connect their slinky hose to the FHS sewer connection and open their black and grey tank dump valves and leave them open ‘thinking’ they are bypassing their tanks in doing such. Only to find a poop pyramid has been created as the solids aren’t ‘washed’ from the tank.

Take a walk around a campground and look at RV’s with a waste hose connected to the sewer connection - many dump valves are in the open position.
RV2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2020, 10:16 AM   #32
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by RV2 View Post
Some may disagree, much of the problems seen with holding tanks are due to ‘owners’ connect their slinky hose to the FHS sewer connection and open their black and grey tank dump valves and leave them open ‘thinking’ they are bypassing their tanks in doing such. Only to find a poop pyramid has been created as the solids aren’t ‘washed’ from the tank.
I would add to that and suggest adding some water to the black tank before dumping. That's particularly good if you're at a camp site which doesn't have individual connections and you have to dump on your way out because you get a bit of motion to help mix. The only downside would be if you discover that dump on the way out is non-functional--then you'd be carrying a bit of extra water along your route.

Also, more fiber!
Old 04-23-2020, 10:21 AM   #33
Winnebago Master

I wonder if the real test is more how quickly it dissolves the first couple of hours. If you're travelling every day and dumping each time before you leave camp, the TP may have been in the tank only a couple of hours. One thing I remember from my human physiology course in college is most people poop in the morning a few minutes/hours after waking up.
Old 04-23-2020, 03:07 PM   #34
Winnebago Owner

I filled the tank and used dishwasher soap to dissolve anything off the sides. I got ours clean and then it stopped working again. I am going to try 3/4 full and driving around the block after it has sat for a day. Hopefully the agitation will do the job.
plrude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2020, 09:11 AM   #35
Winnebago Owner

Go for a cruise and make a bunch of turns... Put some miles on...
Old 04-25-2020, 05:43 PM   #36
Winnebago Camper

Walmart great value dissolves the best on multiple tests
BRTF450 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2020, 05:46 PM   #37
Winnebago Camper

Use cascade dish washer detergent in addition to also
Old 04-25-2020, 08:35 PM   #38
Proud “No Intent” Owner

Toilet paper tests

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodspike View Post
I wonder if the real test is more how quickly it dissolves the first couple of hours. If you're travelling every day and dumping each time before you leave camp, the TP may have been in the tank only a couple of hours. One thing I remember from my human physiology course in college is most people poop in the morning a few minutes/hours after waking up.
That may be true, and so you can interpret from this test,, that the fastest paper that breaks down in my 24 hour test, would also perform similarly in a few hour test.

And yes, I have seen that video, and many more, which is why I chose to do it myself. Because, I’m anal, no pun intended. And, I’m not taking any endorsements.

First I used the same black tank chemical we use in our tanks.

Second, I DID NOT shake the jars, because in campgrounds, our RV doesn’t shake, well, like that.

Third, I waited 24 hours for my first result, because we typically only dump our tanks ever other day—If that.

Lastly, I only included the toilet paper we already have, I encourage ALL of you to ship me a roll of your favorite paper, and I’ll gladly include a sample of your roll in my next yes...
Old 04-26-2020, 07:42 AM   #39
Winnebago Camper

Touche'
Old 04-26-2020, 12:36 PM   #40
Proud “No Intent” Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRTF450 View Post
Touche'
Good one