Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Plumbing | Systems and Fixtures
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 04-26-2020, 12:44 PM   #41
Winnebago Camper

Wink Toilet paper tests

This was interesting. But after 40 years of motorhome toilet usage (and being concerned about the subject) there is an easier way to test. Simply have a roll of each on hand. Then when you have a particularly soft BM wipe with each and see which (at its worst) let’s your finger pass through. On a more serious side (actually I was serious then too), simply place several sheets into the water in your commode and stir with a toilet brush. I have gone to the Scott sometime ago.
Kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2020, 12:57 PM   #42
Proud “No Intent” Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kent View Post
This was interesting. But after 40 years of motorhome toilet usage (and being concerned about the subject) there is an easier way to test. Simply have a roll of each on hand. Then when you have a particularly soft BM wipe with each and see which (at its worst) let’s your finger pass through. On a more serious side (actually I was serious then too), simply place several sheets into the water in your commode and stir with a toilet brush. I have gone to the Scott sometime ago.
Great Scott!

What type of Scott do you have. RV specific, or household septic safe?
Old 04-26-2020, 05:51 PM   #43
Winnebago Camper

Toilet paper tests

We have used the Scott “RV Safe” and we have also used the Scott 1000 sheet rolls. If I’m forced to use others I do the toilet brush swirl test. I have not had a problem over six motorhomes but we are always careful to rinse thoroughly when we empty the tanks.
Kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2020, 06:14 PM   #44
Winnebago Owner

Can you see the sensor strip on the outside of the tank ? sometimes they peel off and give a crappy reading. not likely you have internal sensors. also driving around with pile of icecubes inside the black tank may help to clean crud of the walls.
MicroMinnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2020, 06:29 PM   #45
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by MicroMinnie View Post
Can you see the sensor strip on the outside of the tank ? sometimes they peel off and give a crappy reading. not likely you have internal sensors. also driving around with pile of icecubes inside the black tank may help to clean crud of the walls.
They've done mock tests with ice cubes. And they don't move, just melt. To get them to fly around, the road would have to be so rough the rig would fall apart and my teeth would be rattling... Utube has vids showing tests...
SaltLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2020, 12:13 PM   #46
Winnebago Owner

Thumbs up Great minds....I did test with 5 brands.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyatt View Post
Ok, I’m bored, so I’m running a test between two popular RV toilet papers, and a third one for home use.

All “say” septic safe. I used the same amount of paper in terms of length, and measured the thickness (I folded each one in 3rds) with a micrometer.

I also used the same ratio in the jars that I’d find in my black tank, using Thetford’s Aqua Kem.

I’ll post the results when I see how these break down. In the meantime, let the jokes roll in...
About 1 year ago I did a similar test....no chemical. I wanted to know exactly how the paper itself would behave. Used 2 cups of water and 3 sheets of each brand. Put water in jars, added sheets, stirred 3 times with teaspoon. My test showed BEYOND A DOUBT.. SCOTT RAPID DISSOLVE was the winner. It broke down much better than the other 4. Now it's the only 1 I buy. Can't wait t see your results.
Sheilag1848 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2020, 08:51 PM   #47
Proud “No Intent” Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheilag1848 View Post
About 1 year ago I did a similar test....no chemical. I wanted to know exactly how the paper itself would behave. Used 2 cups of water and 3 sheets of each brand. Put water in jars, added sheets, stirred 3 times with teaspoon. My test showed BEYOND A DOUBT.. SCOTT RAPID DISSOLVE was the winner. It broke down much better than the other 4. Now it's the only 1 I buy. Can't wait t see your results.
The results I videoed, are located on page one of this thread...
Old 01-28-2021, 06:33 AM   #48

I’m pleased that I tried this Scott RV toilet paper when someone recommended it to me because it has impressed me with all its qualities. Out of all the tissue papers I’ve used, I think Scott is the fastest dissolving toilet paper for RV use.
Philipclopez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2021, 12:07 AM   #49
New Winnebago owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coffee View Post
I have been using Kirkland brand from COSTCO. It claims to be septic safe, and I have had no issues. Has anyone done a similar test with that?
I just did a test putting a single sheet of three kinds of paper in three bowls of water, and watched to see how fast they would fall apart: Thetford Aquasoft, Caboo bamboo paper, and Kirkland regular two-ply home bathroom paper.

Kirkland won, hands down. Disintegrated fastest, and most completely.
Thetford was second.
Caboo was still holding together 24 hours later. Strong stuff. But maybe not for an RV?

I did have a clogging problem, on my shakedown cruise of a 2010 Era. But it turned out, after probing with a stick and finally shining a light down the pipe, that some previous user had dropped an electric toothbrush down the toilet! It was lodged diagonally halfway down the pipe. I was just able to fish it out, wearing heavy neoprene gloves. I don't think electric toothbrushes are recommended for this use.
starrigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2021, 12:48 AM   #50
Proud “No Intent” Owner

I did update my video test https://vimeo.com/409959812 once a VERY generous friend gave my a roll of the Kirkland during COVID none the less! Now that, is a good friend.
It didn’t do as well as the Scoot, but it did well.

Fast forward a year later from when it did that test, we’ve now migrated to the Scott toilet paper for regular homes. It’s septic safe too, but it solved all of the issues I had with errant and inaccurate tank sensor readings, I replaced all of the tank sensors with Horst Miracle Probes. Now my tanks sensors all work fine—gray and black.
I included two images—the original OEM “sensors” (just a bolt actually) and the new probes. It’s fairly easy to see how the OEM ones get clogged, vs the replacement probes.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	C6A21263-A333-4AC0-A58E-F01B6AB14B9A.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	364.9 KB
ID:	179073   Click image for larger version

Name:	3362F0E3-C878-43C1-88C5-19411F3CB8E1.jpeg
Views:	43
Size:	653.7 KB
ID:	179074