Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-23-2021, 04:38 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Water leak—Concerned about Mildew

We are recovering from some water leaks and would appreciate any advice. We have an Sunstar 29VE Class A. After noticing water on the floor at the bathroom, I traced it to the seal at the water inlet to the toilet. We had a mobile tech come by to repair that. While he was there, he found a leak under the bathroom sink. We thought we were finished but water kept appearing on the bathroom floor. A few days later, another mobile tech (different campground) found a leaking gasket by the water pump, under the bed. It’s now been a few days with no more water on the floor. Phase one complete.

Now I’m trying to dry out the area. I found that the plastic that was covering the floor under the bed storage was trapping moisture so I removed it. That area is now dry. But there is an area that I cannot access that still likely has moisture. It’s a raised, carpeted section next to the bed, near the bathroom. We have purchased two small fans and are running them constantly to try to remove the water.

I’m concerned about mildew. Any suggestions on additional remediation? Should I have the dealer look at it to assess the problem?

Thanks.
Old 05-23-2021, 08:53 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

A home vibratory vaporizer intended for medical use can be used with a 40 ppm weak solution of bleach (Sodium Hypoclorite} to mitigate mold. Remove all food and bath items before treatment. The RV needs to be aired out after treatment for at least 8 hrs in a low humidity (less than 30% RH) use an electric heater.
Shedboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2021, 06:50 AM   #3
Winnie-Wise

When you think it is dry, there are Damprid products that will absorb any moisture that continues to evaporate from porous surfaces. I would use some of those, when returning the RV to storage.
Mtn Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2021, 09:48 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Thanks. My hope is to take action now so I don’t have to deal with the mildew later.
Old 05-24-2021, 09:51 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtn Charlie View Post
When you think it is dry, there are Damprid products that will absorb any moisture that continues to evaporate from porous surfaces. I would use some of those, when returning the RV to storage.
Great idea. I heard of that product but didn’t think of it for this issue. I’ll order it.

Tags
leak, water, water leak