Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-16-2020, 03:47 PM   #1
Proud “No Intent” Owner

RV Toilet paper test...

Ok, I’m bored, so I’m running a test between two popular RV toilet papers, and a third one for home use.

All “say” septic safe. I used the same amount of paper in terms of length, and measured the thickness (I folded each one in 3rds) with a micrometer.

I also used the same ratio in the jars that I’d find in my black tank, using Thetford’s Aqua Kem.

I’ll post the results when I see how these break down. In the meantime, let the jokes roll in...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DF45CCA4-FCA9-482E-85F8-3B9E25CABED6.jpg
Views:	186
Size:	227.3 KB
ID:	173273  
Old 04-16-2020, 04:01 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

For accuracy the water coloring should have been yellow. And when you were done you could have opened a lemonade stand.
Old 04-16-2020, 04:10 PM   #3
Proud “No Intent” Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodspike View Post
For accuracy the water coloring should have been yellow. And when you were done you could have opened a lemonade stand.
Ok, good one...🧐😂
Old 04-16-2020, 06:55 PM   #4
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyatt View Post
Ok, good one...🧐😂
K9AEG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2020, 10:15 PM   #5
Site Team

I have been very curious about this. My feeling is that with the black tank flushing port, it isn't as critical as it once was, so I usually buy whatever is cheapest, but maybe that isn't such a good idea. It is an interesting test to conduct.
Thanks, Eagle5.
Old 04-16-2020, 11:36 PM   #6
Proud “No Intent” Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle5 View Post
I have been very curious about this. My feeling is that with the black tank flushing port, it isn't as critical as it once was, so I usually buy whatever is cheapest, but maybe that isn't such a good idea. It is an interesting test to conduct.
Thanks, Eagle5.
It’s more my sensors I'm worried about getting clogged.

The RV specific toilet paper, as you can see by my micrometer test, is the issue, (not tissue). That stuff is garbage.

Trying to see if we can use regular household septic safe toilet paper like we use in our home and will probably use a third of it considering how much more dense it is. Take a look at those readings of my micrometer test. Ranged from 9/100 of an inch compared to 23 100th’s of an inch?

I think we’re getting ripped off, but we’ll see what the results come back tomorrow in so far as the breakdown of the various tissues I tested.

I started this at 1:30 today, April 16th. I plan on reporting my findings tomorrow, If there’s been any noticeable change.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	3EE4FC00-0C84-4C98-AA18-50FE52628975.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	220.3 KB
ID:	173278  
Old 04-17-2020, 12:10 AM   #7
Site Team

Hi Wyatt,
Those three toilet papers are perfect for testing (Scott, Aqua Soft, & Quilted Northern.) Scott is by far the most dense roll, and hence the most expensive, but you are not switching-out the roll nearly as often with Scott.
Thanks, Eagle5
Old 04-17-2020, 06:04 AM   #8
Site Team

We did a test before enbarking on a countrywide tour 3 years ago and settled on the Sam's Club brand toilet paper as our go-to. It was a pain to buy in bulk and store but their paper was soft enough and broke down well enough that we were comfortable using that. **We installed a macerator in our RV when we first bought it so ensuring that the paper broke down a bit was a necessity.

It's performed well for us and we've never had an issue with the black tank sensors. We do every month or so when moving add some liquid diswasher soap and calgon to the tank with it containing some water then dump at the next park as soon as we hook up. That generally helps keep the tank in good working order.
Old 04-17-2020, 06:36 AM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomB View Post
We did a test before enbarking on a countrywide tour 3 years ago and settled on the Sam's Club brand toilet paper as our go-to. It was a pain to buy in bulk and store but their paper was soft enough and broke down well enough that we were comfortable using that. **We installed a macerator in our RV when we first bought it so ensuring that the paper broke down a bit was a necessity.

It's performed well for us and we've never had an issue with the black tank sensors. We do every month or so when moving add some liquid diswasher soap and calgon to the tank with it containing some water then dump at the next park as soon as we hook up. That generally helps keep the tank in good working order.
That Members Mark stuff is very heavy. This is interesting to say the least. I wonder if using the macerator is helping eliminate potential plugs?

I'm am curious to see how Wyatt's test works out.
Old 04-20-2020, 03:48 PM   #10
Proud “No Intent” Owner

Toilet Paper Comparison Movie

Quote:

The RV specific toilet paper, as you can see by my micrometer test, is the issue, (not tissue). That stuff is garbage.

Trying to see if we can use regular household septic safe toilet paper like we use in our home and will probably use a third of it considering how much more dense it is. Take a look at those readings of my micrometer test. Ranged from 9/100 of an inch compared to 23 100th’s of an inch?

I think we’re getting ripped off, but we’ll see what the results come back tomorrow in so far as the breakdown of the various tissues I tested.

I started this at 1:30 today, April 16th. I plan on reporting my findings tomorrow, If there’s been any noticeable change.
Ok, so after three days of testing, here are the results...
https://vimeo.com/user37682685/revie...812/093f83193c
Old 04-20-2020, 06:07 PM   #11
Winnie-Wise

Quote:

Be interesting what your findings will be. I know of a lot of people here in the RV park that would benefit from your tests.

As for my wife and myself, we don't put any toilet paper down the tank. Learning from our mission trips to 3rd world countries, they cannot and so we cannot flush TP down their systems. So we have adopted that system in our rigs also. Although, when back at the ranch, TP goes down with the flush there.
Old 04-20-2020, 08:43 PM   #12
Proud “No Intent” Owner

Septic Safe Toliet Paper Test Results are in...

Quote:
Ok, I’m bored, so I’m running a test between two popular RV toilet papers, and a third one for home use.

All “say” septic safe. I used the same amount of paper in terms of length, and measured the thickness (I folded each one in 3rds) with a micrometer.

I also used the same ratio in the jars that I’d find in my black tank, using Thetford’s Aqua Kem.

I’ll post the results when I see how these break down. In the meantime, let the jokes roll in...
Finished the test, here’s the link, thought I already posted it...

https://vimeo.com/409959812
Old 04-21-2020, 12:22 AM   #13
Site Team

Hi Wyatt,
Hurray! I was really hoping Scott Tissue would win, for these three simple reasons:
  1. They have the highest wiping capacitance, because they are by far the most dense rolls. The longer a roll lasts, the more wiping power you can store under your sink, and really, isn't that what life is all about?
  2. It doesn't use any stupid advertising campaigns which we must endure on TV. Seriously, why does a bear need toilet paper at all? Don't they go in the woods anyway???
  3. The famed physicist Dr. Emmett Brown has stated on many occasions that Scott tissue is great!
Excellent Test
Thanks, Eagle5

Old 04-21-2020, 09:02 AM   #14
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle5 View Post
Hi Wyatt,
Hurray! I was really hoping Scott Tissue would win, for these three simple reasons:
  1. They have the highest wiping capacitance, because they are by far the most dense rolls. The longer a roll lasts, the more wiping power you can store under your sink, and really, isn't that what life is all about?
  2. It doesn't use any stupid advertising campaigns which we must endure on TV. Seriously, why does a bear need toilet paper at all? Don't they go in the woods anyway???
  3. The famed physicist Dr. Emmett Brown has stated on many occasions that Scott tissue is great!
Excellent Test
Thanks, Eagle5

Great SCOTT... Good test Wyatt and thanks...
AS a side, I'm having problems with the GRAY and BLACK tank level indicators working properly. I tested them and yes they are doing what they are supposed to do. But I can not clean the probes, even by using some tank cleaners. Now, we don't put TP down the tanks. Try and use degreasing dish soaps. But the best I can get is 3/4 full when empty. Anyone else have this problem?

Thanks
Denny
Old 04-22-2020, 04:18 PM   #15
Winnebago Camper

i saw a test one time that just involved swirling the TP around in a jar... and if it dissolved into little bits it was good for RV use. They claimed that many TP's could pass that test.
TerryMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2020, 04:22 PM   #16
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topsail View Post
That Members Mark stuff is very heavy. This is interesting to say the least.
Have used Sam’s Club Members Mark going on our seventh summer and have never had any issues with our black tank.
Cover Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2020, 05:21 PM   #17
2015 Itasca Spirit 27QP

Hey Wyatt, thanks for your posting. Try Charmin Extra Soft vs. Charmin Extra Strong in your next test. My guess is that extra strong will not do well and hopefully extra soft will. Also, as a control, use a facial tissue such as Puffs (what I use) and probably note that it stays intact as the toilet paper breaks down to some degree. Facial tissue should not be flushed into any septic system as it is designed to stay intact in wet environments if it is worth it's salt.
JoeC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2020, 05:37 PM   #18
2016 Sunstar LX 35F

Kirkland

I have been using Kirkland brand from COSTCO. It claims to be septic safe, and I have had no issues. Has anyone done a similar test with that?
Coffee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2020, 06:31 PM   #19
Proud “No Intent” Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerryMA View Post
i saw a test one time that just involved swirling the TP around in a jar... and if it dissolved into little bits it was good for RV use. They claimed that many TP's could pass that test.
Well, some just dissolve better than others, hence the test. I’m not done yet, I’m trying some more types. Though getting deliver of TP right now is tough. Stay tuned...
Old 04-22-2020, 07:34 PM   #20
Winnebago Camper

I don't know if this has been mentioned yet, but here is the results from another test of non-RV specific toilet paper.

Happy Camping!
Leander Mark is offline   Reply With Quote