Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Plumbing | Systems and Fixtures
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 10-18-2023, 08:35 AM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

No water to bath sink

2019 Sunstar 29 VE Have hot & cold water to both inside & outside kitchen sinks and shower and toilet, none to bathroom sink, regardless of pump or hookup at campsite. Checked all lines & they are not pinched & no leaks. Completely stumped. Faucets are cheap plastic, not sure how to take them apart or remove from sink area.
ttroxLV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2023, 08:46 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

Sounds like the aerator is stopped up with minerals?
Can you see a way to unscrew the small part at the end of the faucet?
some have plastic coating and if it takes pliers to get loose, there are often replacements at the big box stores?
There are often small part like screens, so close the drain first!
Soak in vinegar can often let you clean them!

See if that works!
Morich is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2023, 04:07 PM   #3
Winnebago Watcher

Thanks, Worked like a charm!!
ttroxLV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2023, 06:43 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

Glad to hear it worked!
As a side thought, it seems the aerators on RV tend to stop up more often as well as being totally stopped up, rather than what I find at the house?

Given some thought, over the years it seems to have several different things that make it much harder for us to figure out something that would seem so simple.

Some of the factors, I "feel" may be involved?
One is the way we use RV. They get used, the faucet strainer gets wet and then we may put it away for months. Does that let the hard water minerals like calcium and magnesium, collect and dry more solidly in the RV faucet?
Enough harder that it doesn't just dissolve and blow out the next day when we would use the faucet at home? Maybe each short trip we take in the RV adds another layer of minerals that gradually totally shut down flow?

Is the far lower water pressure in an RV part of that as it is less prone to push out any build up? Maybe part of that is we tend to run the faucets far shorter time when we know we are filling the holding tank?

Add in that we often have far more doubt about what the RV is doing than when we are at home and maybe we just expect trouble?
When at home, most of us are pretty sure we have not left some valve in the wrong position to mess up the water flow but in the RV, it is kind of "normal" to assume we may be at fault?

Setting ourselves up to fail, perhaps! Or at least to make us think we have?
Old 10-18-2023, 07:19 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morich View Post
Glad to hear it worked!
As a side thought, it seems the aerators on RV tend to stop up more often as well as being totally stopped up, rather than what I find at the house?

Given some thought, over the years it seems to have several different things that make it much harder for us to figure out something that would seem so simple.

Some of the factors, I "feel" may be involved?
One is the way we use RV. They get used, the faucet strainer gets wet and then we may put it away for months. Does that let the hard water minerals like calcium and magnesium, collect and dry more solidly in the RV faucet?
Enough harder that it doesn't just dissolve and blow out the next day when we would use the faucet at home? Maybe each short trip we take in the RV adds another layer of minerals that gradually totally shut down flow?

Is the far lower water pressure in an RV part of that as it is less prone to push out any build up? Maybe part of that is we tend to run the faucets far shorter time when we know we are filling the holding tank?

Add in that we often have far more doubt about what the RV is doing than when we are at home and maybe we just expect trouble?
When at home, most of us are pretty sure we have not left some valve in the wrong position to mess up the water flow but in the RV, it is kind of "normal" to assume we may be at fault?

Setting ourselves up to fail, perhaps! Or at least to make us think we have?
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA. "We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution." Abraham Lincoln
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2023, 10:00 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Sounds like the aerator is stopped up with minerals?
Can you see a way to unscrew the small part at the end of the faucet?
some have plastic coating and if it takes pliers to get loose, there are often replacements at the big box stores?
There are often small part like screens, so close the drain first!
Soak in vinegar can often let you clean them!

See if that works!
Yes, this is the likely case. Happened twice now in my 2020 Vista. The screens get clogged, and no water, hot or cold flows.

Unfortunately this also happened to the toilet which is fed from the same pipe, so going to have to remove and uninstall to get it cleaned. Fun weekend ahead for me.

I'm looking at putting a filter on the line which gets the larger particles to prevent this in the future.

San Francisco Bay Area
sundog964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2023, 10:13 AM   #7
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by sundog964 View Post
Yes, this is the likely case. Happened twice now in my 2020 Vista. The screens get clogged, and no water, hot or cold flows.

Unfortunately this also happened to the toilet which is fed from the same pipe, so going to have to remove and uninstall to get it cleaned. Fun weekend ahead for me.

I'm looking at putting a filter on the line which gets the larger particles to prevent this in the future.
It would take some study of what is actually making the clog as there can be different things in play here.
One that a filter will help is if we are getting actual particles like rust that we can see as just a simple "strainer" will catch them.

But the other is just the natural minerals that are in lots of water sources and that is stuff we often can't see and most filters will not remove. If we operate between the two main mountain ranges in the US, it is common to find really hard water, even after treatment at water companies. The water in the ground or surface is living in calcium and magnesium and it dissolves in the water. About the only way to clear or reduce that mineral content is a water softener and that get tough for all but the larger RV.
Old 11-09-2023, 09:54 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Understand what you are saying. I’m attaching a few pictures with the inside of the disassembled toilet fixtures.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5305.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	170.8 KB
ID:	187805   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5304.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	326.7 KB
ID:	187806  

Old 11-10-2023, 07:05 AM   #9
Winnebago Master

Can we guess that you are hanging out in the central part of the US? The main parts of the US between the two mountain ranges is often setting on a large amount of limestone!
I got into looking at things like that as I did water work after "retiring" from my first job.

They tell us the Central US was a huge seashore and the bottom was covered with all the bits and pieces of dead stuff, building up really deep layers of limestone. If we do a little closer looking at Texas we can almost see how the area was left as the water drained away toward the gulf. My area just North of Austin has massive solids layers of limestone very near the surface. That makes it hard for the normal trees that grow in other areas as they really struggle to root very deep. We have mostly slab foundations as footings and basements are not practical in most cases. If I dig more than 12-14 inches in my yard, I need heavy equipment!

If you hang out in this area, you get mostly super hard water with massive mineral content!
That white film shows up really bad when I tried keeping and breeding tropical fish. But it is a great place to raise a lot of the cichlid group as they love the hard water!

Maybe we should try running vinegar in the pipes to dissolve that grime??
Old 11-10-2023, 08:40 AM   #10
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Can we guess that you are hanging out in the central part of the US? The main parts of the US between the two mountain ranges is often setting on a large amount of limestone!
I got into looking at things like that as I did water work after "retiring" from my first job.

They tell us the Central US was a huge seashore and the bottom was covered with all the bits and pieces of dead stuff, building up really deep layers of limestone. If we do a little closer looking at Texas we can almost see how the area was left as the water drained away toward the gulf. My area just North of Austin has massive solids layers of limestone very near the surface. That makes it hard for the normal trees that grow in other areas as they really struggle to root very deep. We have mostly slab foundations as footings and basements are not practical in most cases. If I dig more than 12-14 inches in my yard, I need heavy equipment!

If you hang out in this area, you get mostly super hard water with massive mineral content!
That white film shows up really bad when I tried keeping and breeding tropical fish. But it is a great place to raise a lot of the cichlid group as they love the hard water!

Maybe we should try running vinegar in the pipes to dissolve that grime??
Live in CA with groundwater, which is hard, but not that hard. Bought it in OH, and have spent much time in TX. I think it may have been due to improper use of hot water tank, as the tank had 1 inch of this in it. We do have the whole RV water filter, so nothing big should’ve gotten in.

2020 Vista 29v.

San Francisco Bay Area

Tags
water