Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Plumbing | Systems and Fixtures
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 08-10-2022, 08:13 PM   #21
Winnebago Camper

Okay took our old new Motorhome out and hooked up to City water and turned off pump and faucet worked like it was supposed to but then our tank overflowed. Like it wasn’t by passing the tank
Norabrooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2022, 08:18 PM   #22
Site Team

Hi Nora,
Perhaps it is due to a valve setting. What is the year and model of your motorhome?
Welcome to the forum.
Eagle5
Old 08-10-2022, 08:22 PM   #23
Winnebago Master

You've left out some of the really important info to get down to what is actually happening as we don't know what you have for an RV! Lots of different things on lots of different motorhomes?

But one that is quite common is a diverter valve next to the water hose connection. Turned one way it lets water go to the fresh water tank, turned back the other way it is set for normal use of the hose water without using the water in the tank.
Any chance you have that and failed to move the valve from "fill" to "normal"? That will make the tank overflow if the water is left on. Also, if the valve is left in fill and you try to use the pump to get water from the tank it will often not pump.
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2022, 11:52 AM   #24
Winnebago Camper

Yes I did try both ways with the switch and it still didn’t work. I know my other rv didn’t need to have the pump on when the water was directly hooked up to the rv.
Old 09-02-2022, 12:14 PM   #25
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norabrooks View Post
Yes I did try both ways with the switch and it still didn’t work. I know my other rv didn’t need to have the pump on when the water was directly hooked up to the rv.
If your issue is that your fresh water tank overflows when on city water, water pump turned off/on, and you are 100% sure you have all diverter valves per your owners manual then you have a defective valve or pump. Since your RV is new, you should notify Winnebago for warranty and or get authorized dealer to repair for you.

I am making assumptions based on limited info being provided that if exact defective part was found, you are not planning to DIY?
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3; Roadmaster Nighthawk 676; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; Southwire EMS 44270/34951 Display 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2022, 12:26 PM   #26
Winnebago Master

Well, I have to say this is turning out to be a big waste of time!
We still don't know what we didn't know two weeks ago!
Old 09-02-2022, 12:36 PM   #27
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morich View Post
Well, I have to say this is turning out to be a big waste of time!
We still don't know what we didn't know two weeks ago!
I think we have better clarity of what is in the bag...

Click image for larger version

Name:	nothing.JPG
Views:	26
Size:	16.1 KB
ID:	184020

Nothing from Nothing leaves Nothing
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3; Roadmaster Nighthawk 676; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; Southwire EMS 44270/34951 Display 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
Old 09-02-2022, 08:56 PM   #28
Winnebago Camper

You don’t have to be rude. I am trying to explain my problem but I guess not good enough. I have a 35’ winnebago. I would like to know if the is anything else that meeds to be done so the the water line bypasses the tank and you can use the water directly from the hose without the pump. There is a valve that I turned one way without pump on and didn’t get any water and I turn the vale the other way and got water without pump but it overflowed my holding tank.
Old 09-02-2022, 09:10 PM   #29
Winnebago Owner

In our Winnebago vista, there is a valve on the tank, under the bed, which must be shut off. This is the tank drain. Similar thing happened to us, closed that valve and magically no leaking out the bottom.

San Francisco Bay Area
sundog964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2022, 07:54 AM   #30
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norabrooks View Post
You don’t have to be rude. I am trying to explain my problem but I guess not good enough. I have a 35’ winnebago. I would like to know if the is anything else that meeds to be done so the the water line bypasses the tank and you can use the water directly from the hose without the pump. There is a valve that I turned one way without pump on and didn’t get any water and I turn the vale the other way and got water without pump but it overflowed my holding tank.
No point in being rude on either side but if two people ask for the important info on what which Rv you have and you ignore it, that would seem to be borderline as there are Winnebago from 1975 to current and many different makes and models of each year.
In the 2010 lineup alone there were 38 different RV and they all had slightly different parts!

In a really polite discussion, folks ask questions, get and answers and information is swapped.

So do you feel you are being polite and answering the important questions?

From our side of the discussion it looks like there have been 8-9 posts that are of little to no value as we STILL don't have information to start finding the problem.

AND it is still true that you are the one with the problem, so who should be doing the most to get it solved?
Old 09-03-2022, 08:47 AM   #31
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by sundog964 View Post
In our Winnebago vista, there is a valve on the tank, under the bed, which must be shut off. This is the tank drain. Similar thing happened to us, closed that valve and magically no leaking out the bottom.
You are kind of making the point. You have 2020 29VE and I have 2019 29VE and I have don't have a valve on my FW tank? My FW tank is under the bed and I can see the overflow line that runs to the back; but no valve?

The poster in question has not told us what they have to even begin to see exactly how that model is designed? All we have is "old new Motorhome" and "35' Winnebago".

On my coach there is NO such thing as a physical Tank Drain. But there is a Overflow out of the back (but it will NOT drain the tank). To drain water out of my FW tank, I must be in Fresh Water Normal valve mode with pump on and both sets of low point drains open on pressure side of pump.

My overflow has no valve at all, it will overflow out of back when FW tank is full which it can only get full if my outside wet bay Fresh Water Valve is changed to "Fill"

For Norabrooks:

All of this may not help you because it just explain what we have in our 29VEs. In fact; if we all told you what our coach / manual says it may confuse you because of too much information that may not apply to your model that we don't know. I hope you are not offended and able to provide more specifics about your coach. Pictures help a lot. i.e.

You can see from my coach, I only have to turn one valve in my wet bay to fill my tank. The fresh water will overflow once it is full if I don't stop it. When I am not filling, I have to put valve back in Normal position and I get water only if pump is on or if hose is connected to city water.

That is why I told you earlier that if you are following your manual for how to fill tank and use city water, you must have defective valve or pump that could have some obstruction causing the backflow. I think your coach is not with warranty if I assume that your comment old new means old coach, but new to you?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3650.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	204.1 KB
ID:	184021  
Old 09-03-2022, 09:18 AM   #32
Winnebago Camper

Thank you I will look today.
Old 09-03-2022, 09:23 AM   #33
Winnebago Camper

Our Winnebago is a 1997 Vectra grand tour turbo diesel and I apologize as I thought all motor homes functioned on the same principle. I have owned campers, trailers and 5th wheels but my first motorhome and I am doing everything the manual says.
Old 09-03-2022, 01:20 PM   #34
Winnebago Owner

On my Forza ,I found that if I turn the water valve from normal to fill , then back again without turning city water off , the valve will stick and keeps filling the FW tank . Turn city water off before switching valve .
deckape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2022, 04:21 PM   #35
Winnebago Watcher

Dear Norabrooks, I was ready to give up. Just bought my 1998 Winnebago. We tried to fill the fresh water tank up from our hose. The water just poured out at the bottom. I read your comment. The prior owners only stayed at campsites. I want to only stay dry camping or boon docking. IS there a valve to the tank that can be switched ??? You wrote to turn city water off before switching valve . Can you help me find these switches?
I am so green at this I am very discouraged .
tina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2022, 04:55 PM   #36
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by tina View Post
Dear Norabrooks, I was ready to give up. Just bought my 1998 Winnebago. We tried to fill the fresh water tank up from our hose. The water just poured out at the bottom. I read your comment. The prior owners only stayed at campsites. I want to only stay dry camping or boon docking. IS there a valve to the tank that can be switched ??? You wrote to turn city water off before switching valve . Can you help me find these switches?
I am so green at this I am very discouraged .
This is a pretty common complaint here on the forum and it is something that has been discussed quite a lot as there are many differences in different RV.
It seems like it would be pretty obvious that a 40 foot RV will not have the same parts as a 27 foot. They may not even have the same number of sinks?

But there are times when the folks posting the questions that admit they don't understand will refuse to let anybody help as they will not tell us which RV they have.

Why does the group need to know which RV you have?
Because one of the best ways to get reliable info is to look at the drawings of the plumbing and parts that Winnebago posts online!

But the first step in getting to those drawings is sorting out what year! Then what model like Adventurer, what model (30WQ or 37RW?)which indicates length and items which differ and there are times when sorting down to the serial number is needed! There are often early year and late years models in the same year, so it helps to use the right info! If the 7th digit is 1, the answer may be different if that digit is 2!

The idea is that if we can get the right info from the OP, we can look at the drawings and find things. Things like where the drains that might be open?

These are links to the plumbing and parts drawings but they take some time to learn what to look for and referring new folks to that does seem kind of abusive!!
Plumbing:
https://www.winnebago.com/Files/File...m/Plumbing.htm

Parts:
https://catalog3d.winnebagoind.com/menu/Parts.htm

As a side note, I recommend starting a new post with just the info that involves you and your specific RV, as this one is getting way too messy and going no where fast!

The group likes to help but it has to be a two way discussion to get anything done. Being new is fine and we've all been there!

Tags
water