Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-13-2014, 08:27 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Push out coming out from bottom

2000 itasca horizon, i put the push out kitchen one fully in, 2/3 days later go back to check unit an seems bottom part of push out comes out abt 1 1/2 in. what would cause this,
power is off. button seems not to be stuck.
Old 01-13-2014, 09:06 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildmandmc View Post
2000 itasca horizon, i put the push out kitchen one fully in, 2/3 days later go back to check unit an seems bottom part of push out comes out abt 1 1/2 in. what would cause this,
power is off. button seems not to be stuck.
Could be several things. The most likely is a leaking hydraulic line or valve. Our 2001 Adventurer had an equalizing cylinder on the main slide out. It's supposed to make sure the in/out cylinders are timed together so one end doesn't come in or go out farther or faster than the other. If one of the lines start to leak equalizing pressure is lost to that cylinder. It can coast out slightly until the slide binds. Check all your hoses, especially near the fittings. If they're the least bit wet between the fitting and the hose they won't last long.

A friend of ours had 1 blow out on a trip to Alaska when they tried to close the slide. There was still pressure on the back cylinder, but none on the front. The back came almost all the way in before it got bound so tight it wouldn't move.
Old 01-13-2014, 09:08 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Is the slide electrically operated or hydraulic? If it's an HWH hydraulic system, most likely the extend solenoid has an internal leak allowing the slide to open a bit.
Confirm which operating system you have and check with the manufacturer, most have web sites with very helpful troubleshooting info.
Lt46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 01:10 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

i think its hydrolic, as i remember when it was extended had a pump there. will go back to coach an check fittings for wettness. thanks to both, i get back to both of you tomorrow.
again thanks.
Old 01-13-2014, 04:31 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

It's the valve leaking and needs to be replaced. Happened to me also....And. it's not very expensive..
KA7UYZ NRA Endowment Member Retired Fire Service
dnystrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 07:51 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

If your system is HWH the instructions say when retracting the slide, hold the retraction button in for an additional 5 or 6 seconds AFTER the slide fully closes, then release it. This procedure allows the pressures to equalize through the system. Unless you have a leaking valve, that procedure should cure the issue.

Dan
Pelledan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 09:01 AM   #7
Winnebago Camper

well no leaks on ground, cant extend it all way to get underneath will take it out an extend tomorrow, but for now , i held switch in additional 10 seconds to (release presure) see if that changes anything.
Old 01-14-2014, 08:29 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

What I meant by "Leaking was the fluid is leaking past the cylinder inside the cylinder.
You should not see any fluid. The cylinder has to be replaced if it's a HWH. They were very helpful for me and gave me the exact parts I needed.
KA7UYZ NRA Endowment Member Retired Fire Service
dnystrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 09:44 PM   #9
Winnebago Master

Don't know if your model has a motor brake or not. Look at the back plate of the motor and see if there is a lever there. With your make and model and if it has a brake i don't know which way the lever would be. On mine it is counterclockwise to lock brake and clockwise to unlock brake. The unlock brake mode is used if you have to bring the slide in manually. The lock mode keeps equal pressure on the slide motor(s) for proper operation and to keep the bottom of the slide from creeping out.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote