Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Plumbing | Systems and Fixtures
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 11-10-2023, 06:37 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Black water leaking in 2017 Vista 29VE

Hi all,
I recently mounted a rino blaster on to my sewer connection to perform a back wash on my black holding tank. I forgot to open the black water tank ( ie: pull the holding tank to open ).
I heard a pop noise. Stopped the process. Next day upon draining black tank its leaking and draining into the water closet and behind to the ground. Ugh!!
The leak is somewhere after the holding tank as when the pull handle is closed it doesn't leak. I looked behind the water closet panel and followed the black drain pipe as far as i could see, no disconnect.
I have looked at plumbing schematics on winnebago site. How do you access the rest of the drainage pipe? Specifically from the black water tank out to the water closet. I see the pipe on the schematics. Is it accessible under the motorhome?
Any suggestions welcomed. I have a 2017 winnebago vistta 29ve.
Thanks
monytaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2023, 08:18 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

If using the plumbing drawings, I find they help on some but I really like the interactive "parts catalog" better when on newer RV (after 2010) as it lets me get a better look by turning and zooming, etc.
https://catalog3d.winnebagoind.com/menu/Parts.htm

If I'm reading right? Correct me if wrong!

If there is no leak with black valve closed but it leaks when opened, there seems one big suspect but not an easy one to get to it!

Click these snips for better view or go direct to see what I'm looking at for suspects and location?
Click image for larger version

Name:	leak5.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	147.1 KB
ID:	187809

It seems like overfilling, etc would just go up the vent pipe? The stool is not an option to relieve pressure due to RV sealed. But if it didn't, then we have to move on!
One point where we might get a leak is the seal under the stool or at the vent pipe. But as you mention, it only leaks when the black valve is opened, that says not those points!
But there IS one joint which is listed as rubber, therefore more inclined to blow out. It would also fit what you say about leaking when black drain is open but not when closed!
Side view

Name:	leak3.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	88.8 KB
ID:	187811

Bottom

Name:	leak2.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	88.7 KB
ID:	187812

For getting to this, I doubt there is any ready made access. Do you have a firm layer that might be call Coroplast(?) under all the RV? A type of foamboard?

I might want to go under and run a wire up through the foamboard to feel and find the edge of the tank and line up with the main drain outlet to make an opening under this joint?
Or maybe just start with taking a way big chunk out to give plenty of room to work???

It looks like a bummer but maybe it will help to get a better idea of what's hidden in there? Best of luck as it doesn't look like fun!

I'm always interested in reports if this works out or not! Much of the remote repair theories are just pretty close to "best guess"!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	leak4.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	94.6 KB
ID:	187810  
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2023, 08:37 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Been there done that - similar to what happened to you on my 2017 29ve. The rubber collar popped off, and I had to reach in and push it back onto the pipe.

For me, it was the crossover pipe that he shows in the diagram - not further back on the passenger side. The "gate" is on the passenger side so the pressure is not going to get past that leading to that collar giving way.

Morich's diagrams are always spot on!

Here's a pic of my installation for the black tank flush, you can see the collar on that crossover pipe on the left side.

There are two clamps that hold it to both sides if I recall that needed to be opened and then clamped back down - only one side came off but i tightened both.

Old 11-10-2023, 09:03 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

One last tidbit, I think I had to take off that white metal "panel" that holds things like the water connections. Not completely but enough to get back in there. Those clamps and the orientation of the worm screw I recall were a challenge :(.
Old 11-10-2023, 09:21 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

I'm glad to see there are some RV where we can get to the pipes!
I've never been that lucky on getting access!
But once I got out of buying total junk to rebuild, I can't think of too many times when I needed to get to them.
But fixing the old junkers left me totally paranoid on making sure nothing freezes!
Old 11-10-2023, 05:19 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Black holding tank drain pipe leak

Thank you for both of your replies. I will look at that option of getting to that area before the dreaded cutting option. Both of your responses were very helpful.
Old 11-15-2023, 05:25 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Scope

One thing you might try is a fiber optic videoscope to look in hard to reach/see places. I picked up one at Sam's for about $80. It runs on 4 AA batteries and is about 4 feet long and 1/4" in diameter. The video unit is self contained. If I need to look behind things or hard to reach places, I give it a try. It helps about half the time and saves me from taking things apart.
MDJDCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2023, 08:15 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

OMG! I thought I was the only crazy person. I bought a Valterra Flush King and used it once to clean out my black and gray tanks. On the last day at the campground I did one more flush, since everything was hooked up. I forgot to open the black valve. After a minute or so, I heard a loud pop. Same issue as Moneytaker. Unfortunately, it cut our trip short. We didn’t want to use the black tank, so no toilet. I have a scheduled service to fix the problem, as I don’t want to do the repair and I don’t have the equipment. I am going to bring this thread to the dealer so they can quickly diagnose and repair the issue. Thanks for posting this. Now I know that I’m not the only forgetful one on the planet.
Old 11-16-2023, 05:30 AM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Black water drain pipe leaking

What a great suggestion MDJDCarter posted. I will definitely look into that scope. Hopefully I will see the breach in the pipe. I am real hopefull that it can be repaired before I am forced to drain due to cold weather settling in. Thanks again for all your responses.
Old 11-16-2023, 07:17 AM   #10
Winnebago Master

As an alternate for tools, you might look at and consider other (cheaper?) forms of endoscope that connect to cell phones.
They are made to connect to the phone and that cuts lots of expense for the electronics and display.
If it's something for a one time use, I often go for the easy to find cheap item.

I have no personal experience with these but several on the forum have mentioned them as very handy.
Various options with different names?
https://www.ebay.com/itm/16538810936...3Avlp_homepage
https://www.ebay.com/itm/40440884822...Cclp%3A4429486
https://www.ebay.com/itm/36418411726...3Avlp_homepage

Endoscope, boroscope, otoscope?
Old 11-19-2023, 09:23 AM   #11
Winnebago Watcher

Black water pipe leaking

I've been looking at this forum for a long time and have learned a lot. I saw your post about the black tank leak and joined so I could respond. I did almost the same thing when I tried to empty the outside kitchen tank (ours has a pump) and forgot to open the valve. I also heard the pop. It blew off the rubber connector on the drain line. I had to remove the panel in the wet bay to get access to the connector. I cut some of the pex tubing to make it easier and bought a pex crimp tool to repair it. I'm lucky that I am somewhat flexible and skinny enough to just be able to reach it. I used a Fernco connector as I thought it was a little longer than the original one and would have a better connection and I put two clamps on each side. I took everything out of the basement storage and washed everything out with bleach water as best I could and used a shop vac to get out as much water as possible, then set up some fans and left the compartment doors open for a few days. I'm brand new to posting on any forum so I hope this goes through and helps you. Ask more questions if you need to.
2017Sunstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2023, 02:40 PM   #12
Winnebago Owner

I just had the opportunity to get back to seeing where the pipe popped. MDJD Carter had great recommendation on scope. Just used it and one side of pipe did pop off where the clamps are located just like you had. Going to get the front panel off and see if I can reach in there. Ty again for your help. Will see if I can transfer pic I took with camera of scope to computer and post.
Old 11-28-2023, 06:01 PM   #13
Winnebago Owner

This is the scope I bought. It has gotten a lot of use. I used it in my house and found an illegal splice inside a wall that was loose and causing an intermittent open circuit. Saved the house from a potential fire. I won't travel without it.

We have used it multiple times on the RV to get into tight places for a look-see. It is waterproof so it can be run down a plumbing line. We had a water line that was running very slow, I cut it at a place that would be easy to splice and ran the camera down it. There was a fitting inside a wall that they had made a bad cut on so a scrap of the pex was obstructing the fitting. I was able to figure out where it was and then was able to remove the piece of wall panel to make the repair.

Aaron
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2023, 01:32 PM   #14
Winnebago Master

Why not simply rent a videoscope from a rent-all store instead of buying outright? It's not like you're gonna do this again soon.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA. "We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution." Abraham Lincoln
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2023, 05:25 AM   #15
Winnebago Owner

Black pipe leak

Just in reply to the last post. I purchased a scope that included the camera for $65 on Amazon, before Thanksgiving. I cannot believe I could rent one, if that is available, for much less. I doubt very much that one would be available in my rural area in the North West mountain area of Georgia. Thanks for your reply. Fingers crossed 🤞, that I will be able to reach in there and fix pipe.

Tags
leak, water, water leak