Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-09-2020, 12:19 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Black water tank flush system leaking

I was breaking down to leave yesterday and began to flush the black water tank. I've not had issues doing this before, but when I turned on the water the system began leaking under the coach. We also found water on the floor in the hall by the shower.

I looked up the parts diagram on the Winnebago site, and I suspect the bad actor may be the black water tank vent plumbing. 2nd on the list would be the vacuum vent. Anybody else experience this?

Yankee Clipper
2104 Winnebago Sightseer 33C on F53/6.8L V-10
2014 CR-V with EvenBreak, Tireminder TPMS
winston74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2020, 01:56 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

Are you open to suggestions from a guy with no experience on the flushing but lots of experience chasing leaks in plumbing?
I'll throw in my thoughts and let you run it over to see if it works for you.
My thoughts:
The tank vent is most likely to leak when the tank is full enough for water to run out the top, either due to totally full or possibly if the RV is on a slope to make water reach the vent opening before totally full. But that vent is below the floor level and I would not expect it to put water out on top of the floor. I've been wrong before , though!
So was the black tank full enough to expect water to come out due to overfilling?
Otherwise "maybe" I might say the vent if that were true but not my idea of the most likely cause.

When the water for the flushing is turned on, it immediately goes high above the floor to near the back of the shower faucet, which makes me believe it is more likely to be the problem. What the parts does not show well is what it takes to find out if that vacuum breaker is not closing to keep it from leaking. But I do know that vacuum breakers do get funky and they sometimes do not close enough to stop fumes, so they are suspect to me.
Depending on which is better, can you see a way to pull a panel off the back of the shower to access the faucet and breaker? Or is it possible to see removing the faucet to try to see if water is in that area?
Maybe worth some testing if the floor gets wet when the black tank is empty and you flush it or look at running the flush only for a short time to see water on the floor as flushing water first goes high, so do a little and give it some time to work it's way down and out on the floor?
Sorry, lots of theory but it all needs testing!
Morich is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2020, 03:42 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

Had similar issue several months ago. As you and Morich have reasoned, it is likely the black tank wash down system vacuum breaker valve.

It our rig, that valve is dead in the corner under the vanity. Being skinny and dble jointed a plus. I am neither.

Your plumbing diagrams will show you the general area of yours.

Our system only has two valves, the vacuum breaker and a downstream check valve. Redundant safety, I guess.

I almost replaced it with a standard plastic garden irrigation system vacuum breaker ($). SWMBO thought different and we used the valve body ID tag info to order OEM brass and stainless replacement from Oregon supplier ($$$)

Fair Winds and Following Seas
Oldchinahand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2020, 08:08 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

As an old WestPac vert-rep pilot (CH-46A & D), I am always open to suggestions.

I intend to get under the rig tomorrow and cast a Mark-1 eyeball on the leaking area. If I am lucky (wishful thinking) I will report back on what I can find.
I can tell you that the RV park had level concrete pads, the park water pressure was good but not high, and I started the flush after dumping the black water tank.

This leak caught me totally off guard.
Thank you both for your thoughts.
Old 09-09-2020, 10:59 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

WestPac, vertrep, 46

As Chesty might have said, "Still folks out there who speak English"

If it turns out your leak is the vacuum breaker, and your tank flush is the Sani-T-Flush system, the OEM part can be accessed from Swan Industries, Bend, OR. $53.90 including "free" shipping.

Fair Winds and Following Seas
Oldchinahand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2021, 05:07 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Winston74 - what did you end up doing to fix your issue? And HC-3 or HC-11
Old 03-29-2021, 08:16 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

I haven't traced the leak as yet. Stay tuned.
HC-11 Det 2 (Roanoke), HC-11 Det 7 (Shasta), HC-11, Det 4 (Wichita)

Tags
leak, tank, water