Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Tech | Toys and Gear
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 05-07-2023, 09:58 PM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

Where to connect temp sensor after deleting Xite

I have a 2016 Winnebago View J which came from WGO with a Riverpark Xite XSG2NA X2S infotainment center as well as the Axxess ASWC-1 (steering wheel control module). I am deleting the Xite and installing a Kenwood DNR-1008RVS. I am keeping the Axxess SWC which connects to the Kenwood head unit. It appears that there is no way to connect the temperature sensor cable to the Kenwood, but I would like to retain its function if possible. .

The bumper mounted ambient temperature sensor has its only direct connection to the Xite head unit by way of a gray cable housing 1) a red wire that connects to the Xite harness solid brown wire ("steering wheel 1") and 2) a black wire that connects to the Xite harness gray wire ("steering wheel GND").

The Xite infotainment center also connects directly with the Axxess ASWC (steering wheel control module) via the Axxess harness red (skinny) wire to the Xite brown/white wire ("steering wheel 2") via the interposing WGO yellow "ABU" wire. (ABU / 18 YEL CONTROL MODULE (POSITIVE/HIGH) TO: DEVICE)

The Kenwood DNR-1008RVS has only ONE steering wheel input on the harness, the blue/yellow ("Remote Cont"). I will be connecting the Axxess red (skinny) wire, pin 9 (via the WGO "ABU" wire) to the only steering wheel control connection on the Kenwood. I would like to retain the steering wheel control function. I am also aware of the Axxess recall. My understanding was that it was related to the possible unreliability of the Molex connector trying to join the 18 AWG WGO wires with the Axxess wires which are much smaller. Also there is likely more resistance with the type of connection and length of the wires. I am going to eliminate the Molex and solder and heat shrink the connections.

While the ambient temperature sensor is described in the Xite manual as allowing the temperature to be displayed on the infotainment center, the WGO wiring diagram (not a true schematic) for the monitor/radio shows possible connections with the rest of the chassis wiring assembly.

Does the temperature sensor also provide information to the Sprinter 3500 computer that may be necessary for the proper functioning of the many systems (engine, climate control, display of the temperature on the instrument cluster, etc.)?

Is it a necessity or just a nicety?

I would like to retain the temperature display function of the temperature sensor even if the sensor data is not needed elsewhere.

Is there another location (and pin numbers , way of identifying the proper wires wherever they are) that I can access and connect the black and red sensor leads to and restore that function?

Thank you in advance for your assistance
BikerChuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2023, 10:27 PM   #2
Site Team

Greetings BikerChuck,
I am not sure if anyone on these forums will know the answer to your ambient temperature sender question. As your Sprinter 3500 is not unique to just Winnebago, perhaps you also post your query on the iRV2 forum?
Welcome to the Winnie Owners forum.
Eagle5
Old 05-10-2023, 08:27 AM   #3
Winnebago Watcher

Mercedes ambient temperature sensor found -problem solved

As it turns out, the ambient temperature sensor that connects to the Xite infotainment center has no connections to the Sprinter electronics.

I found the location of the Mercedes ambient temperature sensor probe in my
2016 Sprinter-based Winnebago View J. It is barely visible on the passenger side of the recessed foot step above the front bumper.

I hope that this will be helpful to others.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20230510_093243.jpg (578.5 KB, 25 views)
BikerChuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2023, 10:52 AM   #4
Site Team

Hi BikerChuck,
Good to know. Of course, this now makes you our resident expert for Sprinter 3500 infotainment centers. I guess we cannot simply call it a dash radio anymore.
I remember listening for the first time to Classical Gas in June of 1971 on an old AM radio with push-buttons. About a year later, the song became popular. I understand the original name of the song was Classical Gasoline, but it was too much to write on the studio mixer knob. When Mason Williams saw that abbreviated name, the song title was changed to match.
Thanks, Eagle5